Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
GuardianZX9
GuardianZX9 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader x 2
Reader Quality

I have 2 readers, one purchased at Microcenter and one at the Sony store, the quality of the screen between the 2 is completely different.

The first unit has a great screen and has barely any ghosting.

The second unit has a very poor screen with horrible ghosting, if you start a book and turn off the unit 80% of the text is still visible, especially around the edges, its even worse if you have the unit at the menu screen and then go into a bok, you can still see all the menu options underneath the text, it takes 3-6 page turns to get rid of the menu, but then you have the previous pages underneath the current one.

I had the Sony store replace their unit with a new one and it looks the same as the first, I am still trying to figure out the difference between the Microcenter unit and the Sony store units.

I did notice someting, the MC unit seems to flash twice upon a page turn or a menu refresh and the Sony store unit only flashes once to refresh the screen, does anyone elses unit do this?

G
GuardianZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome to MobileRead GuardianZX9. Glad to have you here.

Mine, and units from everyone else that I have read about, flash once in reverse (white on black) and then to the next page. This is to erase any lingering ghosts (or that is what they have told us.) I picked up mine last November from Boarders and have been very lucky in that the screen is a dream.

I would go back to Sony again as they seem to have a batch of bad Readers and keep exchanging it until they throw you out or you get a good one. There is no reason to put up with a bad Reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
can you check the firmware version of both? maybe one of them has an older firmware.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
GuardianZX9
GuardianZX9 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader x 2
I have updated the firmware on both units and it remains the same.

I did talk with a Sony rep and he had a unit with a serial number starting 9XX, his unit does a double flash BWBW and he has no issues with ghosting at all.

I will try to go back to the Sony store again and see what they can do.

G
GuardianZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote