Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
morlaine
morlaine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
Easy Question about Kindle for the PC

I've looked on the internet but haven't found the answer to this. Do you have to be online to use Kindle for the PC? I live in a rural area and the internet connection is very unstable, hardly suitable for email. If I need to download something or research something, I have to go into town and find a more stable signal. If you have to be online to use Kindle for the PC then it would not be for me.

Thanks for any info you can give me, Carole (morlaine)
morlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle 3
Hey Morlaine.

I just tried. Yes you can. As long as you have them on your computer (you can tell if you seem them in your 'Home' screen and not your 'Archived').

Also (obviously), you won't be able to use the whispersync feature if you don't have internet connection.

Welcome!
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Do you have to be online to use Kindle for the PC?
It depends on what you mean by "use".

If you already have your own library of non-drmed mobi-books, then yes... you can use K4PC to read those ebooks without an internet connection.

If you want to read/purchase Amazon content on it without an internet connection, you're going to have to trek on into town and download your content (encrypted for K4PC) onto a flash drive (or laptop or whatever), and take it back home to load on your computer.

But, no, reading a book with K4PC does not require an internet connection.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-12-2011 at 03:55 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
The program needs a connection to receive the books, but for just normal reading itself, it does not need a connection.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

But if you were to go to town with a laptop and download content for kindle-4-pc on the laptop, you would be able to read it at home on THAT LAPTOP. But you would not be able to read it on your computer with its version of kindle-4-pc since each book is encrypted to match the specific device.

In other words, if while you were in town, and a friend grabbed a copy to their version of k-4-pc, it would not work on either your laptop or computer.

So somehow you have to initially get the content to the computer you will be reading on.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But if you were to go to town with a laptop and download content for kindle-4-pc on the laptop, you would be able to read it at home on THAT LAPTOP. But you would not be able to read it on your computer with its version of kindle-4-pc since each book is encrypted to match the specific device.
Almost correct.

From Amazon's webpage, you can choose "Download to PC". At that point, you get to choose which of your devices you are downloading it for. So you could be on any PC (perhaps with a USB drive plugged into it) and download a copy of the file that is encrypted for your copy of K4PC at home (or your Kindle, or your other K4PC installation). Then take the USB drive (or laptop) home and load up the ebook in K4PC.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-12-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I just went to test it out

When I choose "Transfer via Computer" for download my iPADS, my iPhone and my Kindle for PC are greyed out and non-selectable. I can only choose the actual Kindles.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader
When I choose "Transfer via Computer" for download my iPADS, my iPhone and my Kindle for PC are greyed out and non-selectable. I can only choose the actual Kindles.
Wow, you're right! I've never really had a need to download that way but always assumed I could since they were in the list. I never even noticed they were greyed out.

Sorry for the misinformation.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
So this thread "Easy Question about Kindle for the PC" turns out to be anything but "easy." I guess OP needs to travel to town with the pc that will do the reading. Then grab the book. Then go home. Maybe, grab a few books while in town!

(and fingers crossed that once downloaded to a laptop, for instance, darn kindle-4-pc will not need the internet again for further reading. Someone want to turn off their inet as a further test?)
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
So this thread "Easy Question about Kindle for the PC" turns out to be anything but "easy." I guess OP needs to travel to town with the pc that will do the reading. Then grab the book. Then go home. Maybe, grab a few books while in town!...
This is true, but only for Kindle books with DRM (e.g. virtually all of those from Amazon). Amazon's DRM is coded specifically for the particular reader, either Kindle device or installation of "Kindle for ..." . Unfortunately, the "Download to PC" option on their web site only allows selecting Kindle devices. The various "Kindle for ..." software readers have to download the purchased books themselves.

If you're downloading ebooks from non-DRM sources like this site (.PRC files), Project Gutenberg (their .MOBI Kindle files), ManyBooks (.PRC, .MOBI, or .AZW), ... they can be downloaded from any connected machine and then moved to the "C:/My Documents/My Kindle Content" folder on the machine running Kindle4PC.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A related question would be what alternative is there? I have not actually tried disabling my internet connection, but Nook for PC would be my recommendation. Since B&N's DRM relies on username/password (from a credit card) it should not need internet access and you can definitely download ebooks via any web browser and put them on a USB stick.

If you are already lugging your laptop (say) to town to get a connection, then K4PC is probably ok too.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote