Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #9436
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, and Dopey.
I did consider asking for the seven dwarfs as well, but I didn't.

Nul point.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #9437
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
Gimli, son of Gloin, (I think)
No, Gimili doesn't appear in The Hobbit, either in person or by name.

Several relations of those dwarves already mentioned are among the remaining names to be found.
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #9438
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No, Gimili doesn't appear in The Hobbit.
Ah, stupid of me; I misread it as Lord of the rings.
I read The Hobbit after finishing Lord of the Rings, so The Hobbit is a bit fresher in mind. Wasn't there two brothers called Killi and Fili in it? I don't remember the number of L's in the name, so I try both one and two)
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #9439
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
Ah, stupid of me; I misread it as Lord of the rings.
I read The Hobbit after finishing Lord of the Rings, so The Hobbit is a bit fresher in mind. Wasn't there two brothers called Killi and Fili in it? I don't remember the number of L's in the name, so I try both one and two)
Yes, Fili and Kili, Thorin's nephews.

2 points to norway1456.

There are still at least 12 names to find (10 dwarves and 2 ravens).

Taken so far:
HomeInMyShoes: Bombur, Gloin, Balin, Dori, Nori, Thorin
norway1456: Fili, Kili.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-04-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #9440
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
No offense intended, but The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings quizzes were the reason I gave up smoking dope (so I didn't have to be subjected to any more such quiz nights).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #9441
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
No offense intended, but The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings quizzes were the reason I gave up smoking dope (so I didn't have to be subjected to any more such quiz nights).
Then you may skip this one, and join in the next quiz.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #9442
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Well, with orlok out of the running, the rest of you have a chance!

We're looking for the thirteen dwarves of the main company, another important dwarf who actually makes an appearance, and four dwarves who are only mentioned by name.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #9443
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
I know most of the Dwarves have already been answered, but I can remember them most easily if I run through all of the names in my head. So here we go:

Thorin, Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Dwalin, Balin, Dori, Nori, Ori, Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
Thrain, Thror, Durin, Dain, Nain
Ravens: Roac, Carc
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #9444
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
All I can say is woaw!
Impressive.
Nerdy, but impressive
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #9445
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
All I can say is woaw!
Impressive.
Nerdy, but impressive
Kind of scary ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #9446
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am nerdy. Hear me roar.

A copy of The Hobbit was the first purchase the Mr and I ever made together, back when I was 15. We still have that battered old copy, fragile with age (the book, not me), as well as two other editions.

I live in the country where the movies are being made, and I'm a moderator on a very busy Tolkien-related site. So yes, among the trivia crammed into my head is a fair bit of Hobbit/LOTR stuff.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #9447
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
And here I thought I had done rather well.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #9448
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
I know most of the Dwarves have already been answered, but I can remember them most easily if I run through all of the names in my head. So here we go:

Thorin, Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Dwalin, Balin, Dori, Nori, Ori, Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
Thrain, Thror, Durin, Dain, Nain
Ravens: Roac, Carc
You are obviously the winner, but you're missed one!

I overlooked Durin (which may be why you stopped at 18 dwarves). You've overlooked Balin's father, who IS mentioned in the Hobbit. Balin is son of Fundin.

However, Shayne is obviously the winner of this one, with 12 points. Well done, Shayne.

Over to you for the next question.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #9449
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post

A copy of The Hobbit was the first purchase the Mr and I ever made together, back when I was 15. We still have that battered old copy, fragile with age (the book, not me), as well as two other editions.
That's the coolest thing I've read here for ages
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #9450
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Balin son of Fundin at your service! I'm so embarrassed to have missed that. You're quite right, it's because I got to 18 dwarves and stopped searching my memory. Thorin's sister (Dis) is also mentioned, though not by name.

Now I have to think of a quiz. Back soon...