Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Kindle 4 pc and restricted content

I've recently discovered that I'm unable to purchase some ebooks via Kindle 4 pc (specifically Alan Moore's From Hell) - these are restricted to the various Kindle devices, Kindle 4 iPad and Kindle 4 Android. This is particularly annoying as I have been able to purchase the From Hell companion for Kindle 4 pc!

I'm happy with my Sony PRS-T2 for reading ebooks, and use Kindle 4 pc to interface with Amazon, so I don't particularly want to purchase a tablet (or a Kindle) solely to read a graphic novel on a smaller screen than my laptop.

If I were to register my phone (HTC Sensation) as a Kindle for Android device so I could actually purchase the ebook, would there then be any way of reading of it on my laptop?
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This means that these books use features (perhaps embedded audio and video) that aren't supported by Kindle for PC. I doubt they would be readable on a PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, thinking about it, if these are comics it's probably fixed layout that's the issue. I don't think K4PC supports that.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It looks as though you can read this graphic novel with the Kindle Cloud Reader on your PC.

I own a lot of Kindles and when I looked up the book in question, the only devices eligible to purchase the book were:

Kindle 3 (keyboard)
Kindle Touch
Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Fire
Kindle for Android devices
Kindle Cloud Reader
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Cloud Reader is an excellent suggestion, but I notice the OP is in the UK, and I don't think it's available here. A search of "amazon.co.uk" for "kindle cloud reader" returns no matches.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Cloud Reader is an excellent suggestion, but I notice the OP is in the UK, and I don't think it's available here. A search of "amazon.co.uk" for "kindle cloud reader" returns no matches.
Oops sorry, I didn't look before I posted.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There is actually a UK cloud reader web site (read.amazon.co.uk) but it doesn't do anything. Hopefully we'll get it at some point .
Old 07-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It looks as though you can read this graphic novel with the Kindle Cloud Reader on your PC.

I own a lot of Kindles and when I looked up the book in question, the only devices eligible to purchase the book were:

Kindle 3 (keyboard)
Kindle Touch
Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Fire
Kindle for Android devices
Kindle Cloud Reader
Daffy,

I was getting excited there, installed Kindle Cloud Reader and tried again. And failed again.

On checking, the list of eligible devices I get is:

Kindle
Kindle Touch
Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Fire
Kindle Fire HD
Kindle Keyboard
Kindle for iPad
Kindle for Android

I suppose that's one of the joys of living in the UK
Old 07-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
mediax
Readaholic

I'm now confused as to how I actually managed to install Cloud Reader - although I do understand why it sends me to amazon.com for purchases!

Last edited by mediax; 07-28-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: illiteracy
Old 07-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
mediax
Readaholic

Quote:
Actually, thinking about it, if these are comics it's probably fixed layout that's the issue. I don't think K4PC supports that.
Sounds like it's all down to when/if Amazon decides to update Kindle 4 pc.

I won't hold my breath.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
There is actually a UK cloud reader web site (read.amazon.co.uk) but it doesn't do anything. Hopefully we'll get it at some point .
https://read.amazon.com/ works perfectly well for me, and has for about a year. You just need to sign in with your UK Amazon account.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
https://read.amazon.com/ works perfectly well for me, and has for about a year. You just need to sign in with your UK Amazon account.
That's interesting - when I tried to access it on my iPhone (which is what I was using for my previous post) it did absolutely nothing - just sat there with a blank screen. No error messages, just a blank screen. I wonder if it's using Flash, or something, that the Safari browser doesn't like?

Given that it does appear to be there (on a PC browser, at least), perhaps the OP could try using Cloud Reader?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
That's interesting - when I tried to access it on my iPhone (which is what I was using for my previous post) it did absolutely nothing - just sat there with a blank screen. No error messages, just a blank screen. I wonder if it's using Flash, or something, that the Safari browser doesn't like?
No Flash, but quite extensive HTML5: Web SQL and Local Storage and all sorts of other stuff.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #14
mediax
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
NullNix,

That's how I managed to install Cloud Reader, but I found that I was still restricted to buying books from the uk site (which means I can't purchase books restricted to Cloud Reader). I assume that's the same for you?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
I have found Kindle Cloud Reader to be awful for comics.

It doesn't properly blow up the panels to make the word balloons readable.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote