Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #106
Kozzi
Enthusiast
Kozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
If your main activities are web browsing and reading pdfs then any e-ink reader is probably the wrong choice. I would get a tablet instead.
I gave nexus 7 a try one weekend and simply gave up after half an hour, even with lowest brightness the idea of have to "scroll" simply bugs me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
not sure I understand: perhaps if you post a link to a book we could try it out - incidentally, as far as I know, you cannot put the browser in landscape mode
for example this page: http://www.tangthuvien.vn/forum/showthread.php?t=91288
each post consist of two spoiler buttons, the content I want to read is in one of them and it is quite long (1 post = 1 chapter). Clicking on one of the VP or HV (i.e second post) button loads up a content which I usually read using Kindle.

Quote:
You can download, but I am not sure you can rename - it may be possible using the hack by sergey, who has added a notepad among other things, and with that you should be able to navigate files that are not generally visible - the same applies to the kindle port, although I do not know whether besides seeing the file you would be able to rename it (but you could do it with a USB connection with a computer I guess, though of course this is not the same thing). Again, you may want to check the developer's forum (this thread)
If the Kindlepdfreader has similar capabilities as the one on Kindle then I would be able to rename files using the file manager it comes with.
Nice! Kobo can run applications written using Qt? I have some experience with qt so this surely is promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Oh, no. KOBO web browsing is bad. DX > Sony T1/T2 > K3.
My web browsing on Kindle is quite limited, not actually to browse daily news but to read long text (=a chapter of a book). That's why I wonder if kobo reader is usable in that way.
Kozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #107
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
for example this page: http://www.tangthuvien.vn/forum/showthread.php?t=91288
each post consist of two spoiler buttons, the content I want to read is in one of them and it is quite long (1 post = 1 chapter). Clicking on one of the VP or HV (i.e second post) button loads up a content which I usually read using Kindle.
just tried on my Mini, and it is plain horrible, it won't work. May be better in landscape, but really unreadable. More in general, at least with the small screen of the Mini, you really want websites that also allow for a mobile version. With those, I have no problems browsing wikipedia, checking mail, using dropbox or the BBC site. But other webpages don't work as well, at least for me.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #108
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
just tried on my Mini, and it is plain horrible, it won't work. May be better in landscape, but really unreadable. More in general, at least with the small screen of the Mini, you really want websites that also allow for a mobile version. With those, I have no problems browsing wikipedia, checking mail, using dropbox or the BBC site. But other webpages don't work as well, at least for me.
@Kozzi
although some mobile versions work better, keep in mind some are only useable in the full website version. in quite a number of cases, i get redirected to the mobile version, only to have it not work properly...only by clicking "use pc website" or similar does the website become useable.

also websites that use "clicking opens a new tab/window" don't work as there are no tabs/windows. It won't even simply redirect to the linked location. the link simply doesn't work. Had this on many occasions as well.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #109
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo's experimental web browser (excuse for poor program) requires you enter full web address with no now expected help. Stupid things that every other real web browser does. Http//www. ---------------, must be entered before it will go to web address. Sony T1 is much better and has pinch zoom making it usable. Still something I seldom do except to see that it will work. I have used those ereaders to check my email on trip without a laptop. Not real practical, that is why i have cell phone.

Kobo can read PDF documents if you have to do that. Text reflow and pinch zoom that T1 and T2 have makes it easier to read those pages. I have read some books with Kobo touch and Sony T1 that are in PDF format. Both are usable but much worse than reading a epub book. The T1 can handle some of those books better than Kobo touch but sometimes only a little better when reflow doesn't work.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #110
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
But no 3g, no deal for me. I seem to be in the minority here, but I love the convenience of 3g when travelling. And, for that price...
Is connecting via WiFi hotspot on a mobile phone an option while travelling? This worked well for me on a Sony T1 last time I was away.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The mini is 5" at 800x600. Of course it's not going to work well for large size pages shrunk down to fit the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #112
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Kobo's experimental web browser (excuse for poor program) requires you enter full web address with no now expected help. Stupid things that every other real web browser does. Http//www. ---------------, must be entered before it will go to web address.
That's actually fixed in the latest (2.5) firmware so the http: is no longer required.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #113
Kozzi
Enthusiast
Kozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
@Kozzi
although some mobile versions work better, keep in mind some are only useable in the full website version. in quite a number of cases, i get redirected to the mobile version, only to have it not work properly...only by clicking "use pc website" or similar does the website become useable.

also websites that use "clicking opens a new tab/window" don't work as there are no tabs/windows. It won't even simply redirect to the linked location. the link simply doesn't work. Had this on many occasions as well.
Sorry forgot to mention that I also use the mobile version of the site on Kindle 3:
http://www.tangthuvien.vn/forum/show...288&styleid=22

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Kobo can read PDF documents if you have to do that. Text reflow and pinch zoom that T1 and T2 have makes it easier to read those pages. I have read some books with Kobo touch and Sony T1 that are in PDF format. Both are usable but much worse than reading a epub book. The T1 can handle some of those books better than Kobo touch but sometimes only a little better when reflow doesn't work.
About PDF, as a long time Kindle user I am used to use some tricks to get around the limitations. Not all pdfs are readable but most of the time I use them for powerpoint slides and A5-print made documents, where kindlepdfreader handles nicely with page fitting. There is also briss which can be used to cut the blank parts of an pdf, so reading those non-scanned pdf aren't actually a problem.

Screen ratio compared to Nexus 7:
http://www.displaywars.com/7-inch-16x10-vs-6,8-inch-4x3
Physical size comparison:
http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...Kobo-Aurora-HD
Kozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #114
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I tried to order one today, the website did not let me. Anyone has successfully ordered one? Today is my first day using Ubuntu, I am not sure my security settings were the problem, or KOBO website does not take order yet.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #115
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
My web browsing on Kindle is quite limited, not actually to browse daily news but to read long text (=a chapter of a book). That's why I wonder if kobo reader is usable in that way.
In that case, I think K2 and DX are the best. I usually disable java and graphic under the basic mode. The whole website becomes a long text page, text reflow nicely. However, some websites I need to page-down 10 pages to get to the main story; some find that annoying.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #116
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
I tried to order one today, the website did not let me. Anyone has successfully ordered one? Today is my first day using Ubuntu, I am not sure my security settings were the problem, or KOBO website does not take order yet.
Someone earlier in this thread or the other in News had this problem, and it happens when you log in through other social sites like Facebook, etc. Log in directly to the Kobo site with a Kobo username/password and hopefully that will work for you.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #117
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
I tried to pre-order one today too. Twice. I was logged into the Kobo site using my account. The first time I tried this morning, I successfully made it all the way to the checkout now screen, only to realize I didn't have my credit card information with me. So I logged out and planned to try later. But when I tried this afternoon, I wasn't even able to make it that far. Once you click checkout, my web browser indicates this error: "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete." Since I haven't changed any settings this morning, I can only assume that the pre-orders have been so popular that they broke Kobo's Server.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #118
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
Looks good . . . but is heavier than I would want in an ereader. And being totally girly the colours are dull!
It's only 2 ounces, 2 ounces more the the Kobo glo.. from what I understand.. not to heavy for me.. but, I understand everyone has to nick pick.. but understand your concern..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #119
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Good Ereader Kobo Aura HD Unboxing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVxH26azUGE

Kobo Aura HD maybe a game changer in the ereader wars.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #120
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
I would say thats your problem.. I orderd mine last nite via Chrome with iMac.. not a problem

Last edited by MrDoug; 04-16-2013 at 10:46 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote