Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #61
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
DiapDealer:

Yeah, the main point of my opinion was that it was just my personal experience and I can see how others' opinions would vary. And my main point was about stumbling across something you didn't know you wanted until you saw it -- online search is great if you already know what you want.

(It's kind of like arguing over whether chocolate or vanilla ice cream is better -- depends on your taste. And chocolate, obviously. Unless you have apple pie...)

And actually, my experience is kind of the opposite of your theory -- the nearest decent bookstore is two hours away, so a trip to the book store takes on a cherished, quest atmosphere--"we're going to the...bookstore!!! Huzzah!!!".

I still believe online bookstores have a ways to go with discoverability, but I see every reason why that should improve in time.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #62
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Deleted.

Last edited by RDaneel54; 10-09-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Reconsidered my response.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #63
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
DiapDealer: And my main point was about stumbling across something you didn't know you wanted until you saw it -- online search is great if you already know what you want.
When I got my first Kindle I went to book stores for ebook ideas. Since discovering MR and the KDD I have stumbled over more great books than ever in a shop.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #64
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I grew up in a small town, the nearest bookstore was a B. Dalton's 60 miles away. An e-reader is ideal in such a situation. Of course, we didn't have e-readers back then. But there are advantages to the way books are arranged in a store. When I search for books on my Kindle, I get a lot of results that have nothing to do with what I really wanted. In a bookstore, it's much easier to search by type of book, I can stand in the science fiction section, and I'm surrounded by science fiction books.

I don't usually just look at random, I have certain authors that I will consider, and I value recommendations from people I know well enough to know their tastes. If someone wants to search the shelves at the bookstore, but buy them on an e-reader, the Nook might make sense.

It's all personal preference. Some people really hate getting in their car and going shopping. I like getting out of the house.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #65
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
E-books aren't an either/or for me. I am still capable of browsing bookstores and libraries. And I still do. I still buy new paperbacks, used paperbacks and...I read ebooks. It's just another avenue. I don't always have time to go to the bookstore. It's GREAT to have the option of downloading two or three books to read. It's great to find a book and GRAB it RIGHT then without ever moving from my armchair.

For travel? Nothing beats an e-reader with 15 books freshly loaded to choose from all in one little gizmo that doesn't take up much luggage space.

It's merely another form; a convenience. I never had to give up the other experiences.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #66
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I don't get it, dude. It's way more confortable to browse online bookstores and find out other people opinions on books than ever before with physical bookstores. Preview sample chapters etc...

I'm never back to pbooks.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #67
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
This guy hasn't been back since he asked the question, which tells me he is just yanking our collective chain. He is going on my favorite list.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #68
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by uebyn View Post
The title says it all. Despite the increasing popularity of ebooks, I refuse to buy one. Not because devices are expensive, not because I am biased against ebooks, but because of the way I discover books.

I hardly ever listen to book recommendations by people, around me or in publications like papers or magazines. Coz' I'm too aware how people's tastes vary, and what someone else thinks is a fabulous read may read terrible to me, and vice versa. Of course, there are those books that are so famous you can't help hearing about them, and usually end up reading them to see if they deserve their reputation. Again, it's a matter of taste - for example, I heard so much about Catcher in the Rye, but when I actually read it, I didn't love it. I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite. (I do love Catch-22 though.)

One of my greatest pleasure is to stroll in the bookstore and discovering books - sometimes by their cover, other times by their spines. In any case, I pick up a book, briefly read its synopsis, and if it interests me, I will read the first page. If the first page intrigues me, and I have spare cash, I will buy it on the spot. Sometimes, if I feel like it, I will stop right at a cafe to read the book over a nice cup of coffee. One of the simple pleasures of life...

With ebooks, you don't get that. Searching by keywords on Smashwords? Clicking on 'People who browsed this also bought...' on Amazon? Yeah, helpful, but not enjoyable. A flat experience no different from Googling online.

Why am I still saying this NOW? Precisely because there're so many converts now, I'm wondering: why did you switch to ebooks? Have you forgotten the pleasure of books browsing, or is the e-book experience comparable to that of the old-school experience? Or has convenience displaced experience?
I don't agree on some of the points in this post but I find nothing offensive or trollish? What am I missing?

As to the continued questions about why the OP uses mobile read, what business is it of mine? Maybe he wants to be convinced or likes reading recommendations.

Perhaps the OP is not responding because of the not do small amount of vaguely hostile feelings expressed by the what are you doing on mobilereads questions.

What exactly did the OP say that was so awful?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #69
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by uebyn View Post
With ebooks, you don't get that. Searching by keywords on Smashwords? Clicking on 'People who browsed this also bought...' on Amazon? Yeah, helpful, but not enjoyable. A flat experience no different from Googling online.

Why am I still saying this NOW? Precisely because there're so many converts now, I'm wondering: why did you switch to ebooks? Have you forgotten the pleasure of books browsing, or is the e-book experience comparable to that of the old-school experience? Or has convenience displaced experience?
I still browse bookstores and libraries, and sometimes I buy paper books (depending on whether they are cheaper than the ebooks). I also get on goodreads, and read reviewer blogs, and join groups of people who are fans of this or that genre or author. So online I am pretty well-integrated into several communities of readers and reviewers. Goodreads will tell me also when any author I read has a new book out. If I can get a book for free that sounds interesting, also, I will. I think my process of book discovery is working out pretty well.

But you know, back when I was a student and didn't have much money for books, my method of discovery was to go to the library and browse the shelves. What they had was what I could get. I still do that for real books. And I do the exact same thing for ebooks now on Overdrive, too.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #70
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I like to read books. Pure and simple. I don't care about holding them, sniffing them, feeling their texture, locating them, talking to other people who are trying to locate them, lovingly perusing their spines/covers, or leaving them in conspicuous places so people can notice them and hopefully be impressed with my impeccable tastes. I like to gobble up their contents and move on to the next one, ASAP. That's it. Nothing else. I've always loved book guts waaaay more than the physical object previously known as "book."
I call this attachment to book-as-physical-object "book huffing" because you will usually hear these people (book huffers) talking about sniffing them while they talk about how e-books could never ever possibly work for them.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #71
Joykins
Wizard

Goodreads, btw, is an excellent tool for book discovery. There are a lot of lists, top books of genre, groups for various fandoms, etc. It could be even superior to bookstores for discovery, if it weren't for the people who give 5 star reviews to 2 star books
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #72
Matriarch
Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I'm wondering the same thing.
Matriarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #73
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I don't agree on some of the points in this post but I find nothing offensive or trollish? What am I missing?

As to the continued questions about why the OP uses mobile read, what business is it of mine? Maybe he wants to be convinced or likes reading recommendations.

Perhaps the OP is not responding because of the not do small amount of vaguely hostile feelings expressed by the what are you doing on mobilereads questions.

I agree. I do not understand the hostility here.

I am kind of missing the pleasure when visiting new cities to explore all the bookshops. Now it is no fun to do that since I have stopped buying paper books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #74
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Not "awful" (and I did give the OP a serious answer - not a hostile one), but "trollish" in an amusing way. It can give off the appearance of posting just to stir up a rousing conversation for fun.

I enjoyed reading the thread. Sometimes I actually like quasi-"troll" posts.

Some forums have a usual cycle of real "troll posts" designed only to stir up the pot, and many people easily bite the bait.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #75
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I once got spoken to by a mod for calling someone a troll.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote