Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2016, 03:21 AM   #1
prakashbala
prakashbala began at the beginning.

Device: PW2IL
Question Update Error 4 While Downgrading Kindle

Hello folks, when trying to downgrade kindle to jalibreak it, I'm getting the "Update Error 4" every time. I tried finding the answer in web before reaching to you all - didn't find one.

My serial # starts with 9017, my kindle model is Paperwhite 2 - International version(PW2IL) and my current kindle firmware version is 5.8.1. I'm trying to downgrade my kindle to 5.4.3.2 from the bin below:
[URL="http://initial-eu.gunshi.org/update_PW2_5.4.3.2_initial.bin"].

I just put the bin in my kindle root folder(The only other folder I see is Documents) and gave Update my kindle option, update kicked off, but ended in the mentioned error.

I tried resetting the device again and did the same. I tried with airplane mode on, wifi on, wifi off. Nothing worked! Could someone help me here?
prakashbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:10 AM   #2
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
I assume you read https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877 before and have no password or ads.
Do you see the USB storage while booting?
Are you a Windows or Linux/Mac user?
Did you verify the checksum of your firmware?
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #3
prakashbala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
I assume you read https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877 before and have no password or ads.
Yes I read and don't have any password or ads.

Quote:
Do you see the USB storage while booting?
Sorry I'm not actually understanding this, I read that I should unplug my device from my computer while updating kindle. Should I plug it again?. Sorry, if I'm too dumb here.

Quote:
Are you a Windows or Linux/Mac user?
It's Linux.

Quote:
Did you verify the checksum of your firmware?
I did't do that. I'm going to download again the firmware with the checksum option and see that again.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:05 AM   #4
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

@md5: just fetch the .md5 file to verify it.
Rebooting while the device is connected may result in interesting entries in dmesg || /var/log/messages.
I wonder where knc1, geekmaster, niluje etc. are when they are needed Usually they solve issues within a few minutes.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:28 AM   #5
prakashbala

Quote:
@md5: just fetch the .md5 file to verify it.
I verified it, the checksum are alike. One correction to my above post, this is the URL I had downloaded the firmware

http://initial.gunshi.org/update_PW2....2_initial.bin
Advert
Old 07-23-2016, 06:32 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What did you find when you searched this forum for "error 4" ?

Last edited by knc1; 07-23-2016 at 06:38 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:47 AM   #7
Yourcat
Groupie

this thread @What did you find when you searched this forum for "error 4" ?
Old 07-23-2016, 06:54 AM   #8
prakashbala

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What did you find when you searched this forum for "error 4" ?
Okay, now I see something here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc...p/t-60856.html which says about International version at the same time error 4. But no other results for error 004 related to downgrading or jailbreaking.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:08 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashbala View Post
Okay, now I see something here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc...p/t-60856.html which says about International version at the same time error 4. But no other results for error 004 related to downgrading or jailbreaking.
I found one related to the K3, but nothing helpful on the PW2 either.

Searching the Wiki was even less help.

I guess we have to wait for someone who knows what that error code means.

Note:
I have not heard of this problem with the downgrade packages before.

Since your on Linux -
Both file to be checked and check (*.md5) file in the same directory
Make that the current directory
md5sum -c <name-of-check-file-here>

Pull the *.md5 file for that downgrade package from initial.gunshi.org
and use it to test the downgrade package you are trying to use from initial-eu.gunshi.org.

(One is in France, the other is on the west coast of the USA, the mediafire ones are on the east coast of the USA)

Last edited by knc1; 07-23-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #10
prakashbala

Smile

Quote:

Since your on Linux -
Both file to be checked and check (*.md5) file in the same directory
Make that the current directory
md5sum -c <name-of-check-file-here>

Pull the *.md5 file for that downgrade package from initial.gunshi.org
and use it to test the downgrade package you are trying to use from initial-eu.gunshi.org.

(One is in France, the other is on the west coast of the USA, the mediafire ones are on the east coast of the USA)
Here I see checksum are different, I believe the file is corrupted. Thanks for your help!! I'm going to download again!!
Old 07-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #11
Yourcat
Groupie

@knc1: Maybe this thread could have been avoided if the md5 check had been mentioned in the jb thread. A link like http://www.droidviews.com/check-md5s...mac-and-linux/ to a generic description could be fine.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #12
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
I guess we have to wait for someone who knows what that error code means.
Googling "kindle u004" found this (highlights added):
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geniusliu26:
U006: General failure (for official updates, generally a checksum error)
U004: No bundlefile (in the JB context, you used the wrong file for your FW version)
U007: Signature verification failure (JB is not installed)

You're gonna need to remember what you installed to 'fix' the official update. Checking the logs might help (;debugOn => ;dumpMessages => ;debugOff in the Home search bar).
Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashbala View Post
Here I see checksum are different, I believe the file is corrupted. Thanks for your help!! I'm going to download again!!
It was probably a corrupt firmware file that caused this U004 error (a side-effect of the bundelfile missing from download file truncation).

Based on successful downgrades by other users using this update file, a good copy (with correct MD5) should fix this problem.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-23-2016 at 11:46 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #13
Yourcat
Groupie

Proper search queries for Google help a lot @geekmaster - U004 is great. Auto-translated from http://www.siralex.info/2011/03/07/k...-update-errors :

Installation Errors on the Kindle 3 updates

Possible installation errors Kindle 3 update:

U000 (ERR_GENERAL) - General installation error
U001 (ERR_BUNDLE_VER) - upgrade version does not suit to this unit
U002 (ERR_BUNDLE_MD5) - Error checksum update file
U003 (ERR_IMAGE_MD5) - Error checksum of a file updates
U004 (ERR_UPDATE_MISSING) - any update files from the lost (damaged the interior of the update file)
U005 (ERR_UPDATE_TMPDIR) - Problems with the temporary folder tmp, for example is not enough space or upgrade program can not create a folder there
U006 (ERR_UPDATE_FAILED) - Update failed. Those. Update failed to update any of the files or failed to perform another operation. Typically, this means that some Kindle files were modified, for example if the set menu or the Russification of the virtual keyboard.
U007 (ERR_SIGNATURE_FAILED) - upgrade Authentication Failed. Each update signed certificate. Amazon signed his hacks in turn their own. If you install any hack and get this error, it means that you have not set JailBreak (or it is not working as it should).
Old 07-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
@knc1: Maybe this thread could have been avoided if the md5 check had been mentioned in the jb thread. A link like http://www.droidviews.com/check-md5s...mac-and-linux/ to a generic description could be fine.
Pick a different one, that one's Linux directions are wrong.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #15
Yourcat
Groupie

Evil world, I wonder how one can get this one wrong. I hope that https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM is 100% correct. At least it should be a starting point to for md5 so people may check what they downloaded before install.

Tags
downgrade, jailbreak kindle, paperwhite2