Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #76
Deljah
Connoisseur
Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Android tablet
Just wanted to say, I'd had a Scribd paid subscription for five months now, and I love it. The selection is great, imo, and encourages me to try different authors and genres. I think it's a great value for the monthly fee, all things considered. I always check Scribd before I buy now, and I've been able to find many books on my wish list there.

Sometimes I read on my laptop, a 7inch tablet or my Galaxy S4. The app isn't the best, but it's okay. Better than my kindle for android app, which I can rarely get to work.

Happy reading!
Deljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #77
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But don't you still need to go to a browser? In order to connect the loan to your Amazon account?
The app sends the book to my account. After that, all I have to do is connect my K4 to WiFi and the book is there ready to download.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #78
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
So, no reading on an eInk reader with this?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #79
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
So, no reading on an eInk reader with this?
Unless it can run Android apps, no.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #80
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Blossom...I am succumbing to the temptation to get a Nexus 7 to take advantage of this properly. Some of them are in my price range. Which version do you recommend, and is it OK for watching movies too?
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #81
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The app sends the book to my account. After that, all I have to do is connect my K4 to WiFi and the book is there ready to download.
Wait, does it have a browser baked in or is the OverDrive connection baked into the app? I guess if you can perform the connection to Amazon from within the app, it is indeed easier, depending on how lazy the programmers were?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #82
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Blossom...I am succumbing to the temptation to get a Nexus 7 to take advantage of this properly. Some of them are in my price range. Which version do you recommend, and is it OK for watching movies too?
This is the one I have and the case I use.

It's a full Google tablet so you can do pretty much everything. It's better than okay for movie watching or listening to music. I have Netflix and Hulu Plus on mine but there is also Google Play Movies that comes installed. The text rendering on the N7.2 is superb!

As for Reading I use it for Scribd, Kindle For Android, Moon+ Pro, Mantano and Overdrive Media Console. This little tablet handles it all.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #83
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
The 2nd generation Nexus 7 is the one to get. Blossom linked to it. They can sometimes be found on sale, and sometimes ebay has refurbished ones. Just make sure it is the 2013 version, not the 2012 version.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #84
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
July is the month that new Nexus 7's are released. Either hold out for a Nexus 7.3 or get a discounted 7.2 when they clear stock to make room for the new models.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #85
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes but I need it now! for the 3 free months!

Thanks, Blossom. I'd karma you but it says I gave you too much karma already
Old 04-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #86
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yes but I need it now! for the 3 free months!

Thanks, Blossom. I'd karma you but it says I gave you too much karma already
You will love it! If you read in the dark I do recommend you get Screen Dim app by Omega Centauri Software. You wont need if you read with an app like Moon+ which has it own brightness controls but with Kindle or Scribd it helps alot when its completely dark.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #87
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Wait, does it have a browser baked in or is the OverDrive connection baked into the app? I guess if you can perform the connection to Amazon from within the app, it is indeed easier, depending on how lazy the programmers were?
I borrow the book inside the OverDrive app. I choose Kindle for the format and the app sends me to Amazon via the browser to complete the transaction. I choose my K4 for the download destination and it's automatically downloaded to it the next time I turn on WiFi. If I forget to select my K4, then I have to search for the book in my archived items and download it from there.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #88
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The 2nd generation Nexus 7 is the one to get. Blossom linked to it. They can sometimes be found on sale, and sometimes ebay has refurbished ones. Just make sure it is the 2013 version, not the 2012 version.
Definitely avoid the 2012 model, it's got random issues with slow charging. I bought my mom one back in 2012, and about a month ago it suddenly started having the charging problems. It's getting plenty of juice (installed an app to check that), it just refuses to charge properly. At times it only gets 2-3% an hour. Google's aware of the issue, but as usual for them, being totally silent so far on causes. In the meantime, she may have to get another tablet.

Other than that, it's a great tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You will love it! If you read in the dark I do recommend you get Screen Dim app by Omega Centauri Software. You wont need if you read with an app like Moon+ which has it own brightness controls but with Kindle or Scribd it helps alot when its completely dark.
Latest Kindle apps has brightness controls in it, I've had to fiddle with it quite a bit.

Another tablet to consider is the Nook HD/HD+ if you can find a refurbed one. Those come with the exact same warranty as a new one, but cost significantly less. I got my HD+ for around $110, which is an absolute steal for an 8.9" tablet. I then rooted it to put stock Android on it, and it makes a great tablet. I originally bought it to read comics/manga on, but ended up using it even for books. It's actually lighter than my 1st gen Kindle Fire.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #89
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
Definitely avoid the 2012 model, it's got random issues with slow charging. I bought my mom one back in 2012, and about a month ago it suddenly started having the charging problems. It's getting plenty of juice (installed an app to check that), it just refuses to charge properly. At times it only gets 2-3% an hour. Google's aware of the issue, but as usual for them, being totally silent so far on causes. In the meantime, she may have to get another tablet.

Other than that, it's a great tablet.

Latest Kindle apps has brightness controls in it, I've had to fiddle with it quite a bit.
Yeah but it doesn't go any further down than the default brightness. Moon does. You can make the screen go completely off with Moon+ so you can go really dark you can't do that with Kindle and there is the brightness bug that the Kindle and Overdrive app on the Nexus 7 that has yet to be fixed so it's best to use them with Screen Dim in the dark.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #90
Joykins
Wizard

Does it have night mode on the Scribd app? I generally find that dim enough.