Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Auto add stopped working

I have been using auto add books successfully for several months.

Suddenly today it has stopped working.

I am running 0.9.30 64bit and have checked the configuration settings and they are correct there are 8 books waiting to be added in my import folder but they aren't being imported.

Anyone got any ideas?
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
Anyone got any ideas?
Reboot your computer and try again.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No difference still won't install them.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
What have you already tried?

Turn off antivirus for the folder?
Move the folder to a local filesystem?
Rename the files to ensure they only use ascii chars?
Turn off cloud sync software that operates on the add folder?
Check that the books are not write protected?
Remove and add the books again?
Delete the folder and try with another.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
What have you already tried?

Turn off antivirus for the folder?
Move the folder to a local filesystem?
Rename the files to ensure they only use ascii chars?
Turn off cloud sync software that operates on the add folder?
Check that the books are not write protected?
Remove and add the books again?
Delete the folder and try with another.
Excellent points. If the books were placed in the add folder from a dvd or cd then they may well be Read Only. So they may have been added just not deleted.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
And I assume you haven't told calibre to ignore certain file tyypes while auto adding in preferences->adding books->automatic adding.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
Valkrider
Addict

I had already tried all the suggestions from Adoby except the Cloud Storage one because I don't use that and have just local storage enabled.

I have tried a different folder on the same physical drive and one a different physical drive.

I haven't told Calibre to ignore any types.

This only stopped after I upgraded Calibre last Friday, it was fine before that.

I can manually add the books, I tried one. I then told it to manually add from the folder and it added the rest fine.

Last edited by Valkrider; 05-17-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #8
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Remove calibre and reboot. Reinstall calibre again, the version you used before the upgrade. Configure the add folder, reboot and test again. Then upgrade and try the new version. Perhaps you have found a bug in calibre? But then I would expect many more users would react...

More likely that it is a problem with your PC.

What is the name and path of the folder? What are some of the names of the books?
If it is a long path, perhaps with accented chars, then that may cause problems.

Try the very simple and short folder path c:\calibre_add and the file test.epub

Make sure that the user that is running calibre has read/write access.

You can use the maintenance tools for you operating system to scan/check the harddrive/filesystem for errors.

After that all I can suggest is that you reformat the harddrive and reinstall windows from scratch. It seems that some part related to the filesystem of your windows install doesn't work correctly. Hard to figure out how to fix that. Easier to reinstall windows from scratch.

Last edited by Adoby; 05-17-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
michael36
michael36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
It isn't working for me, either, but I wasn't using it before. It will add them when I first start Calibre, but it doesn't add anything while the program is running.
michael36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Windows is supposed to notify calibre when the folder is updated, but sometimes windows fail to do that correctly. It doesn't work on networked folders, for instance. It might not work for some filesystems other than ntfs?

It might be possible to find a pattern if you specify the path, operating system and filesystem used.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
michael36
michael36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Windows is supposed to notify calibre when the folder is updated, but sometimes windows fail to do that correctly. It doesn't work on networked folders, for instance. It might not work for some filesystems other than ntfs?

It might be possible to find a pattern if you specify the path, operating system and filesystem used.
I'm using Windows 7 64 Home, local drive, NTFS.
michael36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Valkrider & micheal36 - how do the files get to the folder that Calibre is monitoring

I suspect something is holding a lock on the file, its unlikely to be a malware scanner unless you're using something obscure. Its much more likely to be something associated with the download process.

If you're downloading direct to the folder that Calibre's monitoring, and its 'slooow' and the download software writes direct to the final file - eg "TheBook_TheAuthor.epub", then Windows could notify the file has been created whilst the downloader is still writing to it and holding a lock on it.

I'm not sure what calibre does if it finds that the file on which it gets a notify is locked. I have a suspicion it may pop a visual notify message from the tray - if the tray is enabled and tray messages are not disabled.

Windows broadcasts messages when file system events occur, its up to the listening application to deal with the event. If the application can't deal with the event, perhaps because the file is locked, then that's the listening applications problem. Some folder watchers deal with locked files by sending themselves a 'remind me of this in 10 minutes' message etc.

You could download something like Unlocker or Unlockit to see if something is holding a lock on the files - but be aware that by the time you look, the lock may have been relinquished.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #13
Valkrider
Addict

Well it fixed itself for me. I updated to 0.9.31 and it started working again. Maybe .30 didn't install properly (it seemed to have as everything else was working). JOOTT.

I drag and drop from another loacal folder . drive into the add books folder so nothing like was suggested. Also there was no way I was going to do a complete rebuild of my PC just to get this functionality back but thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Well it fixed itself for me.
All good things come to those that wait

And thanks for letting us know the outcome

Quote:
Maybe .30 didn't install properly (it seemed to have as everything else was working). JOOTT.
More likely it was Windows Explorer, having a bad hair day/week

Quote:
I drag and drop from another loacal folder . drive into the add books folder so nothing like was suggested.
Don't suppose you use any 3rd party addons like FastCopy, Robocopy etc

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Valkrider
Addict

I don't use any add-ons like that. Having tried different physical drives and folders I find it odd that it would be a Windows fault any way no matter all fine now.

Tags
auto import