Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #106
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Bans on horse meat go back long, long before "My Little Pony". New Jersey legalized horse meat during WWII, but again banned it after the war ended. New York legalized horse meat in 1915, but I couldn't find out how long it had been banned, or whether it remained illegal.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #107
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Bans on horse meat go back long, long before "My Little Pony". New Jersey legalized horse meat during WWII, but again banned it after the war ended. New York legalized horse meat in 1915, but I couldn't find out how long it had been banned, or whether it remained illegal.
Several years ago the FDA began to approve the inspection of horse meat for human consumption. It still isn't a popular meat in the US. But neither is octopus, squid (except when served as Calamari,) but are common daily foods in Asia, Bat brains (popular in the Western Caroline Islands,) Balut (popular in the P.I.) It's really only in the past 20 years that American have begun eating raw fish, and there is still a majority who insist that it is better used as bait than food!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #108
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Fast Food
Only if our was a race horse: D
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #109
Joan M
Did someone say Python?
Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Tablet
Re horsemeat: are we talking about state regulation or federal regulation? When we talk about "bans" are we talking about forbidding any citizen from eating horse, no matter how it was obtained? Or forbidding the commercial sale of horsemeat? Or how about even forbidding the slaughter and processing of horses with the intent of shipping the end products outside of the country?

I imagine there's a mixture of regulation. Seems pretty heavy handed to me, though. And the banning of horse slaughter for meat has meant the poor beasts are now spending their last days in misery being trucked ever-longer distances to Canada or Mexico to be killed.
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #110
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Horse meat is NOT banned for human consumption in the US. It was, until the USDA began inspection of the meat. Now, anywhere in the US, if the horse meat has been inspected by USDA, it can be sold to the public as food. If it has NOT been inspected it is illegal to be sold as human food. It can still be sold as animal food and fertilizer.

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #111
Joan M
Did someone say Python?
Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Tablet
From The Illinois Horse Meat Act: 225 ILCS 635/1.5

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, it is unlawful for any person to possess, to import into or export from this State, or to sell, buy, give away, hold, or accept any horse meat if that person knows or should know that the horse meat will be used for human consumption.
(c) Any person who knowingly violates any of the provisions of this Section is guilty of a Class C misdemeanor.
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #112
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Re: snails. I grew up in New Orleans with all the French restaurants. Whenever the family would go out for a nice dinner, I would order snails, or "escargot" as it said on the menu. They were delicious! Eating escargot is no big deal to a New Orleanian.

Re: bison. I've had it twice in my life - once at a restaurant in New Orleans as a teenager, and a few months ago I picked up two pounds of ground bison at BJ's. Both times I found it ok, but fairly bland, and not nearly as tasty as beef. I think that's why beef caught on in North America, and bison did not.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #113
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
http://papersky.livejournal.com/555286.html
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #114
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
We've got a bison farm near us, and I really like bison. I've never had ground bison, so I don't know if that matters, but large-ish sized pieces in a stew, slow cooked in a crock pot, really taste good! Bison, however, are much more difficult (and dangerous) to manage than cattle, so that may be another factor in beef's popularity.

As far as horse meat is concerned, on Mondays I volunteer at a therapeutic riding center. I ran it past several of the guys. Prince, Toffee, Blaze and Dart were adamantly opposed.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #115
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan M View Post
From The Illinois Horse Meat Act: 225 ILCS 635/1.5
DeKalb's Cavel International was forced to close in 2007 when then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich signed the Illinois Horse Meat Act, banning the slaughter of horses for meat for human consumption.

Although eating horse meat is not explicitly illegal in Illinois, the law is written in a way that all but discourages possession. Eating horse meat in the U.S. remains a cultural taboo, but horse meat can be found in restaurants as close as Toronto and in supermarket cold cases in French-speaking Canada. Most horse meat in the U.S. before the 2006 ban was exported.
Then... just a few year later...
"Horse Meat Goes ON Sale
By Tap Vann on November 30, 2011
— Congress has just greenlit horse slaughterhouses. Horse meat will be on shelves across American within two weeks.
Horses can now legally be butchered in the U.S. for human consumption. Congress enthusiastically lifted a 5-year-old ban on funding horse meat inspections,which allows slaughterhouses to get up and running as soon as possible.

Laws change. Laws are ignored. There is still a law on the books in Pennsylvania requiring all males over the age of 16 to bring a rifle to Church on Sundays. (But don't try it... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Re: snails. I grew up in New Orleans with all the French restaurants. Whenever the family would go out for a nice dinner, I would order snails, or "escargot" as it said on the menu. They were delicious! Eating escargot is no big deal to a New Orleanian.
No big deal to most cultures... with the exception of one or two. Escargot, Schnecken... call them anything, but once they're cooked in butter and garlic, don't block my way to 'em!

The snails usually used for Escargot and Schnecken are somewhat small when compared with the snails eaten in Asia called Sazaeh. Grilled lightly with a little soy sauce, then 'twirled' out of their shells with a toothpick... They are a mouth-full! Ugly as sin, but delicious!

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 01-22-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #116
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Re: bison. I've had it twice in my life - once at a restaurant in New Orleans as a teenager, and a few months ago I picked up two pounds of ground bison at BJ's. Both times I found it ok, but fairly bland, and not nearly as tasty as beef. I think that's why beef caught on in North America, and bison did not.

I wonder if it isn't a question of what the animal was feeding on? Free Range chickens taste much better than factory-raised poultry. Grain-fed cattle (both steers and cows) taste better than those that only feed on hay and grass. And unfortunately, summer corn-fed doe is a hundred times better tasting than an old buck that's been feeding on spruce tips, pine needles, and bark.

When I think of the feeding regimen of Wegyu beef cattle, I can understand why most western beef costs so little in comparison. On the other hand, personally I prefer western/Australian beef over top quality Kobe beef. Biting into good quality Kobe beef, if prepared to western cuts, is like biting into a chunk of lard. MUCH too greasy. If pre-sliced and cooked on a Korean BBQ grill so the fat renders out, then all bets are off!

Stitchawl
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #117
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Problem in germany is most beef is dairy cattle that will eventually be slaughtered, but luckily there is a wholesale around the corner selling argentinean beef at a reasonable price:
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:39 AM   #118
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Are you Vegan because you like animals and hate plants? 'Kill a carrot for peace' type?

Kidding aside, how do you make up for the amino acids not normally found in veggies? Brewer's Yeast?

Stitchawl
1) Indeed, I hate plants and try to make them suffer, wherever I can. Of course, as they do not have a central nervous system, making them suffer is a bit boring.

2) Good question, but all the essential amino acids (those that our bodies can not produce) can be found in plants (see e.g.: http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/105/25/e197.full ), as long as one eats a varied diet.

What is required on top, is, of course, Vitamin B12, which most vegans including myself supplement.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #119
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
What is required on top, is, of course, Vitamin B12, which most vegans including myself supplement.
Vitamin B12 is produced from bacteria. I thought vegans did not consume animal products - do you not regard bacteria as animals?

Last edited by HarryT; 01-22-2013 at 09:09 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #120
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I find that grass fed beef tastes far better than corn-fed.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote