Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
iOS: winning the US, losing the world

Looks like Apple is gaining traction in the US, but losing it pretty much everywhere else.

Source

afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
What's up with Apple in Spain!!!?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
that's why you get for being the most evil corporation ever existed.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
As if most other companies aren't working the same way..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Looks like Apple is gaining traction in the US, but losing it pretty much everywhere else.
The rest of the world recognizes a TYRANT when they see one. (From a lifelong experience with same.)

In the USA, money talks, and Apple has loads of that.

I will bet that Apple has patented a lot more shapes.
Square.
Circle.
Semi-

They probably will be suing the moon and sun for being round circular orbs.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
As if most other companies aren't working the same way..
Certainly not as evil as Apple. But as an Apple shareholder I am not complaining at the moment.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
People really do get overexcited about their gadgets, don't they?
You can't think of anything more evil than patent lawsuits?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
up a measly 1% in the US is "gaining traction"?

in the rest of the world iOS has gone brutally downhill in 1 year. Well, at least scumbag Apple is making some money on android sales thanks to demented patents, same as mobster Microsoft.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
up a measly 1% in the US is "gaining traction"?

in the rest of the world iOS has gone brutally downhill in 1 year. Well, at least scumbag Apple is making some money on android sales thanks to demented patents, same as mobster Microsoft.
It's up 8% in the USA.

Could this be an American thing? You know, American company, people buying American to help the economy and to wave the "made in America" flag. Only if it were made in America, that is...
Old 09-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
It's up 8% in the USA.

Could this be an American thing? You know, American company, people buying American to help the economy and to wave the "made in America" flag. Only if it were made in America, that is...
That must be it. Because it can't actually be that the iOS ecosystem offers something that Android doesn't.

I am very impressed with the GTab 2 7.0. I'm making adjustments to fit it into my workflow of life and work. The $5 Motorola bluetooth mouse I picked up from Woot works wonderfully with it.

But I have to say that I am greatly disappointed with the lack of maturity and availability of apps. Having one Android device or another since the introduction of the G1, I can see that very little progress has been made over the years.

Something as simple as a text editor that supports markdown and dropbox (like Notesy for iOS), or simply supporting dropbox w/folders (like iOS WriteRoom) is virtually non-existent. The closest thing that I've found is Epistle, which will have to do.

Marketshare is meaningless if it doesn't translate into greater acceptance by developers.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
i love the freedom of my last 3 android smartphones, and my wifes asus transfromer but i am digusted with the stability and polish on the android verson of most of the IOS apps. for example the IOS kindle reader app has more functions and more stable, the netflix app on ios better ui function more options and more stable and uses less resources! hulu plus works better /smoother on my ipad 2 than my wifes Asus transformer tf300 and my samsung galaxy s2 , my wife's various medical apps that she uses for work? everyone of them is more stable and more options on her iphone 4 than on her samsung galaxy s3.

the problem isnt the android OS the problem is that its ok to constantly release half baked or beta apps on the android market and there is absolutly no real quality control to me THATS the overall probem with android.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Not noticed any issues with apps for Android (only moved to Android beginning of the year).

For me they are as stable, if not more that iOS versions

Will have to check out the iOS versions of Kindle & Netflix, I use these almost daily on Android and have no issues with them
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Could this be an American thing? You know, American company, people buying American to help the economy and to wave the "made in America" flag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
That must be it. Because it can't actually be that the iOS ecosystem offers something that Android doesn't.
That only Americans can see?

On the Android apps front though, it's getting better but I agree that there is still some tendency to treat them as an afterthought once the iOS version is released. I can understand this for paid apps aimed at tablets, where the iPad is dominant, but I find it galling for free apps aimed at phones here in the UK. It's as if a nearly 3:1 market share counts for nothing.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Perhaps it is to do with the much greater prevalence of pay and go phones outside the US?
The cheapest PAYG iPhone is £320 (cheapest 4S is £500).
You can get a Samsung Galaxy Mini for £70, a Galaxy Ace for £110.
You'd have to really want an iPhone for that difference. If all you wanted was a smartphone with email, browsing and a few games, it is far too expensive.
The iPhone is really only viable on contract, at least in the UK, I would imagine that lower-end Android phones would dominate the PAYG market.
If you are looking at contract phones, the difference is much lower.

Last edited by murraypaul; 09-04-2012 at 11:53 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Perhaps it is to do with the much greater prevalence of pay and go phones outside the US?
Nah, people know how to choose, that's about it.