Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
iRiver HD Story on sale for $99 at Target

..until October 10 or so (sorry don't remember the exact date).

This has a 6" 1024x768 e-ink screen, which at least in theory should be noticeably sharper than everybody else's 800x600. I was able to see one first hand yesterday but the demo unit wouldn't actually operate for some reason, so it really wasn't possible to evaluate the screen. I thought it was kind of ugly and cheap looking, and reviews have not been that great. Still, I like the idea of a higher resolution screen..

Wonder if anybody has actually bought one and what you think?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
there is a youtube comparison of it and the kindle and the screen has better contrast, and looks quite nice. Have only seen boxed real ones.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Has anyone ever found a demo unit that worked, completely ?

And isn't on either a long cable/chain, or tethered somehow in a modern version of a chastity belt ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I bought one and returned it yesterday. The screen isn't that much sharper than a Kindle, I thought, especially with the bold Kindle fonts. The dealbreaker for me, though, was the page turn lever in the middle of the device. It's loud and takes too much effort to press, compared to the Kindle's and the easy tap on the touchscreen readers. It just seems obsolete to me, especially compared to all the new devices coming out, especially the new Kindles. I got a K4 non-touch yesterday, and it's smaller and lighter than the iriver, and the page-turn levers on each side are small but easy to use and almost silent, so I'm not distracted by them, as on the iriver.

Also, I was hassled a little by the Target customer service person, saying they don't accept returns on an opened device, but then they had someone from electronics look it over and approved it, but it wasn't a pleasant experience, so be careful if you get an irriver and hope to return it if it doesn't work out.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
..until October 10 or so (sorry don't remember the exact date).

This has a 6" 1024x768 e-ink screen, which at least in theory should be noticeably sharper than everybody else's 800x600. I was able to see one first hand yesterday but the demo unit wouldn't actually operate for some reason, so it really wasn't possible to evaluate the screen. I thought it was kind of ugly and cheap looking, and reviews have not been that great. Still, I like the idea of a higher resolution screen..

Wonder if anybody has actually bought one and what you think?
I took a look at it... and wound up going with the Kobo Touch instead.

I'm a broke student and I am all about best bang for buck. I never really wanted a physical keyboard, but for the price point, I was willing to check out the demo. They keys are pretty terrible to be honest. I'm not a fan of tiny keys a la Kindle and texting phones in the first place, but the iRiver keys were especially unappealing to use.

I didn't notice a truly significant difference between the screen of the iRiver and other Pearl screens. I doubt it actually makes a difference in use.

It felt a little cheap. Reviews confirmed this - the Engadget review even reporting that their demo unit broke.

There's something to be said for affordable, stripped-down ereaders. But I would rather spend a little more and get something not quite so stripped-down.

This is just my passing impression by toying with a demo unit and reading reviews. I haven't actually owned it - but I didn't find anything that made me want to.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I got one, haven't had any meaningful issues with it yet. It became unstable and froze a lot on the "favorites" and "recent" screens, so I switched from collection view to folder view and the problem went away. Probably some caches not being cleared properly or something, who knows? I haven't tried SSHing onto it to see what the problem might be.

Although its kinda funny, I had to get the lady at the electronics counter to do a price check since the sale wasn't listed on their display. Sure enough, it rang up as $99 instead of $149, and the lady was like "OMG! I need to put up some sale tags, like NOW!"

As for the comparison to the Kindle... this is my first e-reader, so I refuse to draw a comparison on readability. The fact that it easily synchs with Linux and isn't laden with a lot of the baggage the Kindle is, was a big sale point.

Last edited by teh603; 10-02-2011 at 06:11 PM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote