Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
News sharing server from Android phone?

Hey folks. Forgive me if this is a stupid question - I'm new to Calibre and I'm still trying to figure out how it works.

I saw that you can get news feeds, and turn your computer into a server that automatically shares freshly downloaded news to your e-reader. But it only works while your computer is on.

Can you do the same with an Android smartphone? In other words, could I use my phone for the auto news downloads and server?

I'm also wondering, when it sends the content to your e-reader (or phone), does it simply get loaded as a new "book," or do you have to open/unzip it somehow?
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No, Android cannot run Calibre in place of using a PC.

Calibre an send news either via eMail or via the USB cable. Sending via eMail is normally used in conjunction with Kindle devices, or ones running a Kindle reading app. News will be sent as a 'book' in the format you have set as your default output.

You can remotely 'Pull' news items from a machine running Calibre by using the Calibre Content serve.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
No, Android cannot run Calibre in place of using a PC.

Calibre an send news either via eMail or via the USB cable. Sending via eMail is normally used in conjunction with Kindle devices, or ones running a Kindle reading app. News will be sent as a 'book' in the format you have set as your default output.

You can remotely 'Pull' news items from a machine running Calibre by using the Calibre Content serve.
Oh, ok. I thought it sent them every update or something.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote