start of the book 29 69.05%
end of the book 2 4.76%
what is a toc? 2 4.76%
I use the navigation menu to access the toc 9 21.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
TOC at the beginning or end?

Okay random question, I got a comment that someone did not like that the toc of my Amazon ebook was at the end of the book. Now I find the toc at the start to be annoying, its just something I bypass and just the navigation menu if I want to access the toc.

So opinions?

Amy

ps: now if I could figure out how to add a poll!

pps: Ah hah! Figured it out and added

Last edited by sassanik; 08-09-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: poll added
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Beginning or navigation menu.

Having it at the end feels like a feature you only realize you had when you don't need it anymore.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
BangBangO
BangBangO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
At the beginning

1. shows people a ToC is available. A lot won't know they can reach it as ToCs are badly managed on their device (say three taps away in an obscure menu, which is just some terrible and annoying UI/UX). In some cases (non-fiction), when we know the ToC is a "navigational pivot" since it is a guide and people will use it in a non-linear manner, we even add an extra layer of navigational network (breadcrumbs at the beginning of each part) so that the ToC is available anywhere anytime… and people send mails to thank us because their device's User Interface is just plain bad.

2. some descriptions are so vague that you download a sample to judge the value of the book. If you put the ToC at the beginning of the book, it (sort of) helps undecided people purchase the book as they can get extra information, especially with non-fiction.

Last edited by BangBangO; 08-10-2012 at 05:22 AM.
BangBangO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
TOC always goes at the beginning and there should be proper formatting so the navigation menu also work.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
At the beginning, of course. If it was at the end it would be an Index.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
TOC always goes at the beginning and there should be proper formatting so the navigation menu also work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
I use the navigation buttons to access the TOC, but in any case, at the beginning.
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I use navigation menu, but they should still be in the beginning.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
At the beginning ... for various reasons. Most of those reasons have already been mentioned, but one that hasn't been mentioned, is that the ToC being located at the very end of an ebook renders any "Sync to Furthest Read Page" feature essentially useless as soon as you decide to visit the ToC using the navigation menu.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
When ever I want to go to the TOC, I use the menu to get there. If the TOC is in the front, then I think it is a good idea to adjust the length of the sample. I've downloaded samples of books, only to find that the sample ends before the book actually starts.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
At the beginning ... for various reasons. Most of those reasons have already been mentioned, but one that hasn't been mentioned, is that the ToC being located at the very end of an ebook renders any "Sync to Furthest Read Page" feature essentially useless as soon as you decide to visit the ToC using the navigation menu.
I almost never use the TOC so it shouldn't matter to me, but the one, big reason I still absolutely want it to be at the front is this.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Okay random question, I got a comment that someone did not like that the toc of my Amazon ebook was at the end of the book. Now I find the toc at the start to be annoying, its just something I bypass and just the navigation menu if I want to access the toc.

So opinions?

Amy

ps: now if I could figure out how to add a poll!

pps: Ah hah! Figured it out and added
If it's ePub, there's no need for a ToC at the beginning or end as all you need is the ToC in the NCX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #13
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Usually if something has been done a certain way for a long time, there's a good reason for it. Don't break from a tradition unless you know what that reason is, and have a better reason for doing so.

In the case of the Table of Contents, it's useful to have it right up front so the readers can easily access it. In cases where chapters have names, it can help someone to find where they left off reading if they lost their place. Or if there's a long Foreword to the book that the reader just plain doesn't want to read, they can use the TOC to easily skip it (like previews at the beginning of DVD's. Don't get me started).

Of course, with ebooks these points aren't quite as important, especially with the navigator TOC, but they're still valid.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
bigjantailor
Defender of Consciousness
bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw

Agreed.
bigjantailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
But in an ePub, there is no ToC at the beginning such that the ToC navigation option works. It's actually to the side (toc.ncx).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote