Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #31
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
They'll see an increase in orders. Many who were interested in the NOOK because of Netflix will have another reason to consider Amazon. Unless they're die hard .epub only folks or rooters.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #32
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Did you warn her about the lack of SD card slot and 8Gb of storage?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #33
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Dunno why this is such a surprise to anyone. I've said all along that the ability to sideload nearly anything you want is nearly certain.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Possibly for a handful of folks within that target market who are spec driven. But if it's a basic choice between Amazon's stuff and B&N's stuff, there's no match up.
That's not spec driven; it's content driven.

A tablet without onboard content in an area with no wifi, is an expensive paperweight.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #35
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's not spec driven; it's content driven.

A tablet without onboard content in an area with no wifi, is an expensive paperweight.
I agree. What does that have to do with 8Gb of storage and no SD card slot? If you don't have any more room to store content, then that means you have onboard content.

I get what you're saying about some folks wanting to pop in an SD card with content or easily exceeding the onboard storage. I have Transformers 1 and 2 on my tablet and each one is 1Gb. So, the Kindle would only hold 7 of those movies. I'm not disputing that. But once I'm done watching a movie it's deleted off of my device. I don't need it there anymore.

Last edited by SCION; 11-09-2011 at 08:06 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
It's funny to me that you keep predicting failure for the Fire.

Hundreds of thousands of pre-orders -- a number that will easily surpass 7 digits over the holiday season -- say, you're in the minority.
I'm not predicting failure. It'll be a smash hit this holiday season; and definitely a bigger hit than the Nook Tablet (which I'm getting).
Old 11-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I agree. What does that have to do with 8Gb of storage and no SD card slot? If you don't have any more room to store content, then that means you have onboard content.
It's 6GB and after adding in apps, MP3s, books, audiobooks, and a few movies, the storage is shot. Not good for vacations.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #38
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's 6GB and after adding in apps, MP3s, books, audiobooks, and a few movies, the storage is shot. Not good for vacations.
You mean not good when vacationing someplace that doesn't have WiFi at the hotel you're staying at? Yes, if you're roughing it somewhere then that could be a problem. Or if you're traveling across country in an RV. How often will that be for someone? Someone can always grab a laptop or netbook and bring that for storing and watching movies on for those rare occasions. Or pop in an SD card in a smartphone and watch movies on that.

Last edited by SCION; 11-09-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: typos galore
Old 11-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I get what you're saying about some folks wanting to pop in an SD card with content or easily exceeding the onboard storage. I have Transformers 1 and 2 on my tablet and each one is 1Gb. So, the Kindle would only hold 7 of those movies. I'm not disputing that. But once I'm done watching a movie it's deleted off of my device. I don't need it there anymore.
Amazon shrewdly designed the Fire to be a cloud and streaming device, with the ability to hold a small amount of content. I think some people will quickly tire from constantly loading and unloading videos.

For those who plan to only stream video content, the Fire is an excellent choice and well spec'd for their needs.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #40
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I'm a big fan of Aldiko, and I would like to see it on the Kindle Fire. My wife is leaning towards getting a KF for Christmas
I really like Aldiko as well, but it's so slow compared to the Kindle and Nook. Add in the lack of highlighting and the semi-clunky bookmark interface and it is really falling behind. (Cool Reader is shaping up to be really nice, though...)

Quote:
Possibly for a handful of folks within that target market who are spec driven. But if it's a basic choice between Amazon's stuff and B&N's stuff, there's no match up.
Exactly, B&N wins. (Sorry, you left yourself open there...)

As I see it, they both have solid marketplaces. (I give an edge to the Nook for ePub support as it is better suited to a lot of the technical content I read, it is easier for me to modify my books when the publisher screws up, and I feel less locked in.) With the Nook I know what I am getting because I have seen it before. What people seem to be missing with the Fire is that it is still built on dreams at this point.

Will the Fire be able to download movies? Will sideloading Android applications really work? Is the interface nice and responsive? Is finding content easy? Is the battery life good? How is it to hold for long periods of time? At this point, I don't think we really know.

For me, personally, Amazon has only one strength that would matter to me: new-content video available for purchase. I'd love to have the option of buying the latest episode of Futurama and watching it on an airplane, but, currently, nobody is willing to sell me that. Amazon, at least, might change this up a bit.

Other than that, we are mostly arguing about a device vs. a slightly different device.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
You mean not good when vacationing someplace that doesn't have WiFi at the hotel you're staying at? Yes, if you're roughing it somewhere then that could be a problem. Or if you're traveling across country in an RV. How often will that be for someone? Someone can always grab a laptop or netbook and bring that for storing and watching movies on for those rare occasions. Or pop in an SD card in a smartphone and watch movies on that.
Not everyone stays in hotels, motels, and campgrounds that offer free wifi. So they'd always be without wifi while on vacation.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #42
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post

Exactly, B&N wins. (Sorry, you left yourself open there...)

As I see it, they both have solid marketplaces. (I give an edge to the Nook for ePub support as it is better suited to a lot of the technical content I read, it is easier for me to modify my books when the publisher screws up, and I feel less locked in.) .
So you remove the DRM on your books?

Amazon wins for content (books) for me because there are MANY non-fiction ebooks that Barnes and Noble doesn't carry. They're only available on Amazon. I've yet to see an ebook that's only available as a NOOK book.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #43
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I'm surprised to see Netflix there. Well, it looks like B&N got to them. Maybe there's hope for Blockbuster, Hulu Plus, Zinio, and maybe a few Google apps?
From the first day it was announce Amazon said the Fire would have a Netflix app.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
From the first day it was announce Amazon said the Fire would have a Netflix app.
Thanks, I don't remember seeing that.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #45
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Yes, it's good for the Fire (ES File Explorer). Sorry for the delay - I only just read your message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Could you check ES File Explorer and see if it has a check by it?
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote