Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Story HD Mod: WebPortal (03 Mar 2012)

Hi,

Warning: This mod works fine for me, but I can't guarantee it will work for you. Use at your own risk!

This mod puts a portal page in front of the regular Google ebookstore. There you can select various links such as Google or Wikipedia. The ebookstore remains usable - it can also be selected.

The portal is stored in the internal memory as webportal.html, so you can easily adapt the link selection to your personal needs. You should backup that file though as it's overwritten every time you (re)install the plugin, and deleted when you uninstall it.

To use, rename the attached hex file to storyeb07.hex and copy it to the internal memory (like a regular firmware update).

This change can also be reverted by using the attached Undo file. This will also delete the webportal.html file.

The reader requires an additional reboot after installing or uninstalling this mod. Once the update / boot process is finished (when you're back in the readers main menu), hold the power button for about 5-15 seconds until the reader turns off. Then turn it back on and the mod should be active.

Updated on 02 Mar 2012:
The mod now has simple download functionality for http and ftp. Unfortunately, it doesn't support https or sites that require a login. This can be used to download ebooks from a local Calibre server, if it's not password protected, or attachments in a forum, if the forum allows guests to download.

Downloads will be stored on the SD card, in a folder called "download", which has to be created by you beforehand. The downloads run in parallel in the background, there is no visual feedback as to the download's progress. Running downloads are cancelled when the reader goes into standby.

Compatibility Notice:
If you are using firmware 1.33 US or 1.34 US, iriver removed access to the web browser in those. A downgrade may be possible using this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212233. Also, the device has to be signed into Google for it to start the browser.

Regards
frostschutz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	webportal.jpg
Views:	1298
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	82818  
Attached Files
File Type: zip storyeb07-mod-WebPortal-2012-03-02-Mar.zip (3.3 KB, 1151 views)
File Type: zip storyeb07-mod-WebPortal-Undo-2012-03-02-Mar.zip (1.2 KB, 939 views)

Last edited by frostschutz; 05-11-2013 at 11:55 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Very nice. Maybe you could help iriver rewrite the rest of their software.

Does the picture you show become the main page or is this what you get if you choose the Google book store link? I assume the later but wasn't sure.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You get the portal instead of the book store, but you can select the book store on the portal
Old 02-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
lImbus
Tinkerer
lImbus began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story HD (WiFi)
wow. This is impressive work!
And very properly done too (the fact that it does work well on the both known-to-date versions of initially hard-wired link to the book store)

thanks !
lImbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User

Thanks for the compliments.

A lot of interesting things could be done with the Web Portal, since it serves as user interface of sorts; it can display HTML, execute JavaScript, and run CGI on your reader. So you could either make a Sudoku you can play on your reader or even build for example a sync feature that grabs EPUBs from your Calibre Content Server (or even displays an interactive selection of books).

I'm not sure if I'll actually make something like that though (I don't use content server and I'm perfectly happy with using PC to get new books on the reader), and not sure what else to do with the possibilities...
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User

Another update... after I added support for the US version (originally only the German model was supported), someone from Austria complained that it did not work for them. There seem to be more localized versions of this device around than I anticipated.

The new version now uses a different approach, that should work for all wifi models regardless of location, regardless which shop it's actually bound to.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
jameshunter
jameshunter began at the beginning.

Device: iriver
thanks so much for this! i'll be trying it out tonight
jameshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Hugenberg
Hugenberg began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver story had
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Thanks for the compliments.

A lot of interesting things could be done with the Web Portal, since it serves as user interface of sorts; it can display HTML, execute JavaScript, and run CGI on your reader. So you could either make a Sudoku you can play on your reader or even build for example a sync feature that grabs EPUBs from your Calibre Content Server (or even displays an interactive selection of books).

I'm not sure if I'll actually make something like that though (I don't use content server and I'm perfectly happy with using PC to get new books on the reader), and not sure what else to do with the possibilities...
Hi
Great mod. I installed it before even putting any books on it.

I tried to download an ePub file from my calibre server, but it looks like it doesn't download, nor does it give an error. Have you successfully downloaded a file with the browser? It appears that a download from google bookstore is a bit different than a normal file link.

Thanks
Dave
Hugenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenberg View Post
Have you successfully downloaded a file with the browser?
No, it doesn't download unfortunately. I haven't had time to look into it in more detail yet, so I don't know if the browser just isn't capable of downloading files, or just trying to put it into a location that can't be written to, or what.

Quote:
It appears that a download from google bookstore is a bit different than a normal file link.
At least for the Adobe DRM files I think it's not the browser but the Adobe app on the reader doing the downloading actually. I haven't tested as I've never purchased / downloaded a book through the store.

Even if the browser doesn't support downloads, it could still be done with a CGI script, selectable from the Web Portal. Only problem is that someone would have to write such a CGI script that handles listing calibre server contents and downloads. Ability to search for specific books and bulk download would be up to the CGI script as well.

Only problem with this approach is that making such a CGI script is quite a lot of effort, especially if it has to be done in shell or C... any volunteers? Cause personally I'm just happy with putting all books on my reader through USB.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User

Ah, I might have found something. The browser doesn't download but it prints a debug message with the download URL in it. I could parse that message and start a download in the background. It wouldn't be able to give you any feedback / show you any progress on the download, however. I could make it start downloading in an "incomplete" folder however, and move the file once it's complete.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Hugenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Ah, I might have found something. The browser doesn't download but it prints a debug message with the download URL in it. I could parse that message and start a download in the background. It wouldn't be able to give you any feedback / show you any progress on the download, however. I could make it start downloading in an "incomplete" folder however, and move the file once it's complete.
Hi
That would be great, most books are small and just being able to grab them on the go or over wifi when not near a PC would be nice.

I do have some coding background if a cgi/javascript needs to be created.

Can you post the debug message or is it in a folder I can find on the internal memory? (Sorry don't have the e-reader with me at the moment.)

Thanks
Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User

I already got the download working (more or less), only problem is download URLs that are not giving me a file name to work with (like mobilereads own attachmentid=30385 URLs).

Busybox wget unfortunately does not understand options like --content-disposition or --save-headers (which the real wget offers). So I might have to grab and parse headers myself using nc or whatever. Not a pretty solution.

Or I could just blindly save the file and give it a random name. Or hope it's epub and the epub contains some metadata to derive a sensible filename from.

I'll restrict downloading to SD card in any case, it's too dangerous to put random files into the internal storage (the device is known to hang on too long filenames, possibly on corrupt files too, who knows). So you'd have to put an SD card in, and create a download folder on it, for downloads to work.

Last edited by frostschutz; 03-18-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Hugenberg

Ahh, I understand the big file issues and saving on to SD card. SD cards are cheap, or free as I have a bunch of small ones from old camera's that would work perfectly.

Would a "reboot" stop the downloading if it's a big file?
Connecting to the PC to fix a download, or remove the file is okay also.

I would think most files downloaded would be either EPUB, MOBI or PDF, and you could grab some info off of that. If there's enough meta-data could you save it into folders like calibre? "/AUTHORNAME/BOOKFILENAME" ? Would make the directory browsing still useful.

Thanks
Dave
Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User

The Mod now supports downloading books e.g. from calibre content server or forum attachments. Downloads can be stored on SD card only, in a folder called "download" which has to be created by you beforehand. Downloads run in parallel in background, there is no visible progress or other feedback. You'll just have to check what / whether something appears in the download folder. Downloads will be cancelled when the reader goes into standby.

Please note that the download functionality is rather limited in nature (only http and ftp, no https, no login), and it does not check what type or size of file you are downloading, or if there's enough room on the SD card to store it. It should work for most simple ebook downloads, just don't try to download huge files with it that do not belong on an ereader.

Last edited by frostschutz; 03-02-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
Hugenberg

WOW!!!
Works great! Confirmed working from Calibre.

Thanks!