Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
tonbo0422
tonbo0422 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Total newbie: bought Kindle; freaked out, no backlight

Hi guys . . . nice to be here. You seem to be the go-to people when it comes to mobile devices . . . the question I have is almost too stupid to ask, but I'll go ahead anyway.

EBook technology seems to be in the dawn of the computer era: competing, incompatible technologies, proprietary sofware etc. etc.

I just have a simple problem, and I just can't think that there can't be a simple answer to it.

I like to read in bed. In fact it's pretty much the only place I read books, and that's pretty much every night. But I'm getting older, and my eyes ain't so good any more. Until now I've been using an Itty-Bitty book light, because anything brighter disturbs my wife.

All very well, but the booklight is annoying and cumbersome and the batteries keep burning out and are hard to find. So I thought: hey, let's buy an eReader! And of course, the most famous is the Kindle. It was at the right price for $79 so I went ahead and ordered one.

So far so good. Checked it out, started downloading a book, and then started looking for a button to brighten the screen. Well, you know the rest. There isn't one. What do I need an electronic eBook for if I can't read it in the dark?

All I want is some device that's small, light, that I can read books on -- I don't need to listen to music, surf the Web, or have it be in color -- I have a very nice laptop for that -- be able to download from a large source of books via wi-fi, be BACKLIT or frontlit or any-lit, that I can read in TOTAL DARKNESS, have a long battery life and not cost more than $100. Is that so much to ask?

Can anyone recommend such a device? There are so many of these boxes out there, I have no idea where to look.

Does any such device exist? Sorry to be such a dunderhead . . .
tonbo0422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonbo0422 View Post
All I want is some device that's small, light, that I can read books on -- I don't need to listen to music, surf the Web, or have it be in color -- snip-- be able to download from a large source of books via wi-fi, be BACKLIT or frontlit or any-lit, that I can read in TOTAL DARKNESS, have a long battery life and not cost more than $100. Is that so much to ask?

Sadly, no such device exists. E-ink devices mimic paper, and needs light in darkness.

Devices with a backlit screen are in color - and color at the 6" size costs more than $100. And few of them are really just readers - they are also trying to appeal to the mini-tablet market to justify the increased cost.

If you can deal with a smaller screen, an iPod touch works well. I read on my iPhone in bed - it's nice and light weight, I can change the font and the brightness, and I can switch hands easily as I roll around.

Or you can buy a clip on light or lighted case for your new Kindle.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
tonbo0422

SB,

Thanks for the reply. An iPod Touch (which I had but sold pretty quick) is just a teensy bit too small.

I'm simply flabbergasted that such a device doesn't exist . . . is there even a single company working on something like that?

But at least you've relieved me of a fruitless search *sigh* . . . I'd love an iPad but the price tag is just too high. Ferchrissakes, I have five computers already, including a very nice MacBook . . . what do I need a keyboardless laptop for?

How about a tiny notebook computer? I'm a Mac guy but I could handle a Windows interface if it enabled me to JUST READ A BOOK IN THE DARK . . .

Thanks very much for the reply!!!

Nick
Old 10-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
tonbo0422

How about the 7" Google Android 2.2 ePad Tablet 3G Netbook? (See on eBay at http://tinyurl.com/3udtg4g)
Old 10-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
People buy the kindle *because* a eink screen has no backlight. A lot of people find a backlight to be harsh on the eyes for extended reading. It sounds like a lighted cover for the kindle which draws power from the kindle's battery would be best for your needs.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi tonbo and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #7
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
If you can stand having a color screen, try a NOOKcolor (they're very cheap refurbished at around $150 at several deals sites) and if you turn the brightness way down they aren't bad.

There's also the option of a case with a booklight built in.

Unfortunately, that's the best you can do (and there's frankly not much demand for an eInk style screen with a backlight. The battery drain and poorer visibility in sunlight, etc., aren't usually worthwhile unless you're throwing in color or some other benefit).
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
megare
megare began at the beginning.

Device: kindle e-ink
Quote:
Hi guys . . . nice to be here. You seem to be the go-to people when it comes to mobile devices . . . the question I have is almost too stupid to ask, but I'll go ahead anyway.

EBook technology seems to be in the dawn of the computer era: competing, incompatible technologies, proprietary sofware etc. etc.

I just have a simple problem, and I just can't think that there can't be a simple answer to it.

I like to read in bed. In fact it's pretty much the only place I read books, and that's pretty much every night. But I'm getting older, and my eyes ain't so good any more. Until now I've been using an Itty-Bitty book light, because anything brighter disturbs my wife.

All very well, but the booklight is annoying and cumbersome and the batteries keep burning out and are hard to find. So I thought: hey, let's buy an eReader! And of course, the most famous is the Kindle. It was at the right price for $79 so I went ahead and ordered one.

So far so good. Checked it out, started downloading a book, and then started looking for a button to brighten the screen. Well, you know the rest. There isn't one. What do I need an electronic eBook for if I can't read it in the dark?

All I want is some device that's small, light, that I can read books on -- I don't need to listen to music, surf the Web, or have it be in color -- I have a very nice laptop for that -- be able to download from a large source of books via wi-fi, be BACKLIT or frontlit or any-lit, that I can read in TOTAL DARKNESS, have a long battery life and not cost more than $100. Is that so much to ask?

Can anyone recommend such a device? There are so many of these boxes out there, I have no idea where to look.

Hey there. Try getting ur hands on the LED light film by flex. That way u can hold on to ur e-ink kindle:

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets...aders-2011114/
megare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
An iPod Touch (which I had but sold pretty quick) is just a teensy bit too small.
If all you want is a slightly wider screen, and you don't mind having to do some internet research to figure out how to best use the device, consider buying a Palm IIIxe on eBay. I read many http://www.gutenberg.org/ books on mine. The darker the environment, the better the reading experience.

Having said that, I am fully satisfied reading in the dark with my Kindle Keyboard, equipped with the Amazon brand cover having a built-in light. The light is not perfectly even, and I suppose this would bother some.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to the boards
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
This is what you want:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-...4196735&sr=1-1

It uses the battery in the Kindle for power, so no separate batteries to deal with. It is just bright enough, covers the screen, etc... I *LOVE* the lighted case for my Kindle Keyboard (older model).

[I'm making an assumption about which Kindle model you have based on the price that you gave.]
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Get an Amazon cover with light. Great for reading in Bed.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
What I really miss for reading was the old Palm style screens with the monochrome display and the green backlight... they were, other than low resolution and poor battery life, great for reading!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #15
trandism
trandism began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I second the recommendation of a lighted case from amazon. As a matter of fact I was reading yesterday night using it and it's very comfortable
trandism is offline   Reply With Quote