Notices

Old 07-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
Ptaker
Enthusiast
Ptaker began at the beginning.

Device: K3 Wifi No Ads/K4 Wifi ads
Multiple Authors with wrong separator

I am using Calibre 3.48.
My problem: I have several authors for one book that are separated by "," instead of by "&". I am looking for an easy way to change the separator for over 500 books now in Calibre.

EXAMPLE #1:
FROM: Tom Mix, Rex Reed, Pete Sampras - [Series 01] - I Love This Book
TO: Tom Mix & Rex Reed & Pete Sampras - [Series 01] - I Love This Book

EXAMPLE #2:
TO: Tom Mix & Rex Reed & Pete Sampras - I Love This Book

Not sure if I need a plug in or some other method of achieving this within Calibre.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ptaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptaker View Post
I am using Calibre 3.48.
My problem: I have several authors for one book that are separated by "," instead of by "&". I am looking for an easy way to change the separator for over 500 books now in Calibre.

EXAMPLE #1:
FROM: Tom Mix, Rex Reed, Pete Sampras - [Series 01] - I Love This Book
TO: Tom Mix & Rex Reed & Pete Sampras - [Series 01] - I Love This Book

EXAMPLE #2:
TO: Tom Mix & Rex Reed & Pete Sampras - I Love This Book

Not sure if I need a plug in or some other method of achieving this within Calibre.

Thanks in advance for your help.
If they are all the same:
Select all the books with the SAME 3 wrong: Tap 'E" (bulk mode Metadata edit): Enter/edit the list ( copy the wrong authors field to the clipboard Before Bulk mode, paste into Authors) and replace the , with & ( remember to tick auto set author sort) OK
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
Ptaker
Enthusiast
Ptaker began at the beginning.

Device: K3 Wifi No Ads/K4 Wifi ads
Thank you for the reply on how to convert , to &.
QUESTION: Is there an automated way to do the same thing. Have the program review all the authors and convert any comma to a <space>&

If not, I will do as you suggested in your reply.
Many thanks for the response.
Ptaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
QUESTION: Is there an automated way to do the same thing. Have the program review all the authors and convert any comma to a <space>&

If not, I will do as you suggested in your reply.
Many thanks for the response.
Then how do you detect when you have: Ln, Fn vs Fn Ln, ...
Sometimes the old eye is better than just letting Auto run amuck .

Hopefully this is a rare occurrence and you only need to do a few times
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Yes, using Bulk Edit Search & Replace (regular expression mode). Search for authors containing ", " and replace it with &.

However, as theducks says, you could end up with a worse mess. What happens if the example is not "Joe Blogs, Some Person" but is instead "Blogs, Joe, Person, Some"? Doing it mechanically will turn this example into "Blogs & Joe & Person & Some". You would then need to fix these authors, probably using the Manage Authors dialog to merge them.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2020, 10:29 PM   #6
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
With Division of multiple author names, it should work

Preference / settings
ID: authors_split_regex

By default, caliber splits a text containing multiple authors into the characters "&" and the words "and" and "with". You can customize how division is done by changing the regular expression below. Texts are divided into any position that matches the expression, in addition to "&".

Sorry I uploaded the photos in Spanish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	80
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	180838   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	66
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	180839  
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote