Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #1
DerbyD
DerbyD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle D00901
From library to Kindle

I have an older Kindle and an older iMac. I have just loaded Calibre 3.48.0 onto my iMac. What I want to do is simple but I can't seem to get started. I'm an old man and not to tech savvy.

How do I get my document from the Caliber Library to my Kindle? I could put them in the Library but they don't show up on my Kindle. I was able to transfer them using Finder but that did not get me the metadata.
DerbyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
DerbyD

OK, I found the Send to Device button and it did send the few books I had on the Cabiler screen to the Kindle. But they are all in the Home page on the Kindle without any category. How do I put them in a category?
Advert
Old 07-14-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyD View Post
OK, I found the Send to Device button and it did send the few books I had on the Cabiler screen to the Kindle. But they are all in the Home page on the Kindle without any category. How do I put them in a category?
You have fun on your Kindle. Talk to Amazon about their decision to make the database inaccessible.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
DerbyD

That's why I am using Calibre. I understood it helped in situations like this. Perhaps it is also a bad choice.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Calibre is helpful if you buy books from other sources, not just Amazon. People with large libraries like it for its organizational tools. If you have books that need to be "format shifted" because they won't work on your Kindle because they didn't come from Amazon, Calibre can do that with the correct plug-ins.

If you only buy books from Amazon, you may not need Calibre. There are ways to get your document on your Kindle using email.

Explain in detail what you're trying to accomplish, what type of document you're trying to get to your Kindle, etc. Include which specific Kindle you have.

Here is Amazon's help page on sending documents to a Kindle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...69&sr=13-1-acs

Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
DerbyD

I am not buying books from Amazon or any place else. Although I did buy a couple of books from Amazon when I first got the Kindle several years ago. I have a large number of "books" that are on my computer in pdf format. I would like to categorize them and have sub-categories if feasible.

My Kindle is registered with Amazon and have version 3.3. The Create New Collection option is always greyed out. That is why I am trying to use Calibre.

I would like to create several categories (collections) and move each of the books to the appropriate one. I don't care if I do it with Calibre or without but I can't get to the Create new Collection option on my Kindle.

Also, I see options to add to a collection but not how to create the collection in Calibre. Any help will be truly appreciated.

DerbyD
Old 07-15-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That's why I am using Calibre. I understood it helped in situations like this. Perhaps it is also a bad choice.
Calibre is not a bad choice. But if you want easy eBook management on your Reader, Kindle is not it. You have to manually create the collections and manually select which eBooks go in which collections and when you are done with any collection, you have to manually remove the empty collection.

Bad when the first Kindle was released, the database was fully accessible by Calibre so Collection management was able to be done with Calibre. The problem came when too many people messed up the database or deleted it and Amazon in their infinite wisdom decided to remove access to the database so they would not get the support calls.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:04 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I am not buying books from Amazon or any place else. Although I did buy a couple of books from Amazon when I first got the Kindle several years ago. I have a large number of "books" that are on my computer in pdf format. I would like to categorize them and have sub-categories if feasible.

My Kindle is registered with Amazon and have version 3.3. The Create New Collection option is always greyed out. That is why I am trying to use Calibre.

I would like to create several categories (collections) and move each of the books to the appropriate one. I don't care if I do it with Calibre or without but I can't get to the Create new Collection option on my Kindle.

Also, I see options to add to a collection but not how to create the collection in Calibre. Any help will be truly appreciated.

DerbyD
One bit of help is that PDF can be rather difficult to read on a 6" eInk screen. So forget PDF.

One question, where did these eBooks come from?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #9
DerbyD

Kindle is what I have and where I want to store these document (e-books) as well as on my iMac. I want them on the Kindle for portability. Although I use the Kindle for other e-books, my primary use is for these documents that I have written.

I have read some of them on the Kindle in PDF and see your point, but I am OK with it.

These are mostly short articles and poems that I have written.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Kindle is what I have and where I want to store these document (e-books) as well as on my iMac. I want them on the Kindle for portability. Although I use the Kindle for other e-books, my primary use is for these documents that I have written.

I have read some of them on the Kindle in PDF and see your point, but I am OK with it.

These are mostly short articles and poems that I have written.
PDF is the worst of all formats to start from.

What did you use to to write the originals - Pages, TextWrangler, Word, or another text editor/word processor. If you can save your manuscripts in another format such as RTF or even TXT it will almost be a better place to start.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:19 PM   #11
DerbyD

Thanks for the info. Most were written in Pages. But that's not my problem.
Can anyone tell me how I can create Collections?
Old 07-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #12
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
If your Kindle Keyboard is running 3.3, it is seriously out of date. That is most likely why you don't have the Collection feature. Look here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...2BED2975384B60

Scroll down to the area for the KK. You'll need to do manual incremental updates. Read through that page carefully, the wrong update file won't install.

You need to download the correct file to a computer, then transfer that file to the Kindle, disconnect it from the computer, and run the update. There will be more than one, two in total I believe. You do the first, then the second, in separate procedures.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:10 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
You seem to be missing the point.
PDF (by Calibre) has a few more limitations than Adobe PDF.

It is not really doable
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:55 PM   #14
DerbyD

Deskisamess: Thanks for the info. I'll try the upgrade tomorrow

theducks: I'll keep in mind what you are saying;
Old 07-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #15
DerbyD

Deskisamess: I downloaded the 3.4 version and got this file: Update_kindle_3.4_B008.bin. Using Finder I transferred it to the Kindle. It does not show up on the Kindle. When I re-connect the Kindle to the computer, Finder show the file on the Kindle. It is not in the home page. The Update your Kindle option is greyed out.
Any suggestions??