Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Adding Subfolders in Calibre

I tried InDesign and was blown away - it sucks. I then tried Sigil, and it was love at first sight. It's user friendly in the extreme and seems to do everything I need, except for one problem - it won't allow pages files or images in folders.

So I decided to give Calibre a try, because I was told it does support folders. However, I haven't been able how to put anything in folders.

I put an image inside a folder and subfolder on my desktop. If I click the "Add File" button in the top left corner and navigate to that folder, Calibre won't let me import the folder and its contents. I can only import the image itself, just like Sigil.

If I create a new file and type in "text/chapter1.html," it creates a new file named "text/chapter1.html," not a folder containing a file named chapter1.html. If I type in "text/ak/chapter1.html," it creates a file named chapter1.html, in bold type.

I used eCanCrusher to open up my epub and paste a folder with an image inside it. Then I put it back together again and reimported it into Calibre; the folder isn't there.

So what's the trick to creating folders in Calibre?

One book I'm going to work on has two main sections. One section is called States. It will include a chapter for each of the 50 U.S. states. So the directory might look like this:

Images/States/Alaska/1.html
Images/States/Alaska/2.html
Images/States/Alaska/3.html
Images/States/Arizona/1.html
Images/States/Arizona/2.html
Images/States/Arizona/3.html
Images/States/Arizona/4.html

My images will have a similar structure; I'd like to have separate folders for States and Symbols, and the States folder will contain subfolders for each state.

What's the best way to do this? And if Calibre actually CAN'T handle subfolders, are you aware of any other epub software that can? I could give InDesign another look; maybe create an epub with Sigil or Calibre, then import it into InDesign, where I can hopefully arrange everything into folders.

Thanks for any tips.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
it won't allow pages files or images in folders.
What's pages files?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What's pages files?
A text file; a file that ends in .html or .xhtml. Most of the files in an epub are either pages, files (or whatever you want to call them) or images.

Last edited by SigilBear; 02-05-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My fault. I was just reading that all wrong.

Carry on.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My fault. I was just reading that all wrong.

Carry on.
No problem; I didn't notice my typo ("pageS files" vs "page files").
Advert
Old 02-05-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just import the file and once it is imported rename it. Or us Tools->Arrange into folders to have the editor do it automatically for you.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #7
SigilBear
Banned

I see. Thanks!

Tags
folders, subfolders