Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #76
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The trouble I found with Tess of the Durbivilles was that the main character was so passive. Yes, bad stuff happens, but she lets it happen. I suppose Hardy was making a sociological point. Frustrating reading, though. She could have turned round and killed one of the evil ones with a brick, then hung for her crimes. It would have made a more enjoyable book IMO.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #77
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I started reading Peter Straub's Ghost Story. It's supposed to be very good. In enjoyed Shadow Lands very much. However Ghost Story begins with a child molester kidnapping a child. I don't like stuff like that. Other than a reminder of what evil exists in the world, and to be careful, I don't like horrible things. Perhaps for that reason, I don't have much time for Horror books or movies. I read Brian Keene's Darkness on the Edge of Town. It was well-written, but rather than fix the horrors, it has a cop out ending without hope. All horror, very little hope, no final relief. Bah.
Advert
Old 02-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #78
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I started reading Peter Straub's Ghost Story. It's supposed to be very good. In enjoyed Shadow Lands very much. However Ghost Story begins with a child molester kidnapping a child. I don't like stuff like that. Other than a reminder of what evil exists in the world, and to be careful, I don't like horrible things. Perhaps for that reason, I don't have much time for Horror books or movies. I read Brian Keene's Darkness on the Edge of Town. It was well-written, but rather than fix the horrors, it has a cop out ending without hope. All horror, very little hope, no final relief. Bah.
That ending you describe is why I stop reading.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #79
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I like to experience ALL the feels: happiness, sadness, terror, annoyance, elation, enlightenment, exhilaration, boredom, disgust, pride--everything. Maybe not in every book, but still...

I hope I never have the misfortune of identifying exactly what I want from my books.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #80
Rizla
Member Retired

I havent finished Iain Banks last culture novel beause I dont want it to end.
Advert
Old 02-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #81
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'll stop reading a book because it's so badly written or because it's about some topic that just doesn't interest me or because I just don't like it for any number of reasons. I pick my books pretty carefully so that doesn't happen often but every now and then I'll stop reading a book.

But if a book is capable of stirring powerful emotions in me that, to me, is a good thing and makes me want to keep going. I may take a break if it gets hard to bear but it'll be a short break.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #82
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
I've found myself avoiding reading the final book in a series at least twice now. I found it very very difficult to read Kelley Armstrong's Thirteen. It felt "wrong" somehow to end. The same happened with Kim Harrison's Hollow's series. Perhaps I should say starting to read the last book of the series. Once I started either of those books, I did not put them down until I was finished.

It was like trying to postpone the inevitable end.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #83
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
I've found myself avoiding reading the final book in a series at least twice now.
I do this also. Being "caught up" on a beloved series is difficult, even more so if there are no more books coming. Since I can really only re-read if sufficient time has passed for me to forget major points (varies, but involves years), I know I'm saying goodbye for the foreseeable future once I finish the series, and I become torn between wanting (badly) to read the book and wanting to delay it for as long as possible.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #84
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
I've found myself avoiding reading the final book in a series at least twice now. I found it very very difficult to read Kelley Armstrong's Thirteen. It felt "wrong" somehow to end. The same happened with Kim Harrison's Hollow's series. Perhaps I should say starting to read the last book of the series. Once I started either of those books, I did not put them down until I was finished.

It was like trying to postpone the inevitable end.
I have no problems with this. Some series I read / have been reading are 30 books long; if I'd like, I can just start reading at book 1 again. While I do have quite a good memory, I don't believe I will be able to remember each book word for word. I know for sure I won't, because every time I reread a book, I come to the conclusion that I have forgotten half of the non-major plot lines.

At one point I did buy the entire "History of Middle Earth" (the version in which all twelve books are contained in three huge hardcovers), so I don't have to keep re-re-re-re-reading The Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings all the time. It'll take me years to finish History, as in total, it's many thousands of pages, very small print.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #85
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I found it very hard to finish the Handmaids Tail. It depressed me so much, I thought about it for days, even when I went out running.

Obviously, that was the point. But with the Texas case in front of the Supreme Court, it is too, too realistic.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote