Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #31
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
In the "old" days, I would flip to some random point toward the end of the book to see if the character was still there and whether they seemed to be recovered or not from whatever was disturbing me.

That is not so easy to do with an ebook, and I've had to learn to just push ahead. Sometimes I'll go online and see if I can find a spoiler, but that is a lot riskier than just reading a few words at the back of the book when I just want to check the fate of one character.
If you are reading a good author who has a habit of getting you to like characters before they die off then bookmark your place and go to the penultimate chapter. That usually works.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:18 PM   #32
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
The only book I wish I had put down was "Don't cry, it's only thunder". It was about a soldier and an orphanage in Vietnam. True story.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #33
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I generally dump books if they wander into graphic sex.
I generally dump books if they don't.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #34
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I've done this, but only with true crime books. I did it with Helter-Skelter, and with the Ted Bundy book Conversations With A Killer. Only read them early in the day and with someone else in the house. Shiver.
True crime books don't affect me nearly as much as fiction. In true crime I've read the crime details generally seem to be presented with enough clinical detachment that I as a reader can also be detached. But a fiction writer can be more gruesome and evocative.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #35
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My nine year old daughter does this stuff all the time with TV. If it seems like the main character is going to get in trouble or hurt, she stops watching.
I'm always tempted to quote "The Simpsons' and say "Sweetie, how will you ever become desensitized to the violence if you don't watch?"
But I've resisted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Occasionally, if it's close to bedtime, I'll stop reading a book if I suspect something extremely sad or scary is about to happen, just because I don't want certain images fresh in my head when I'm trying to get to sleep.
Exactly two times, both with Stephen King books, "Misery" and "Gerald's Game," I've had to stop reading.

With "Gerald's Game," I was alone over night in a near-deserted airport and it was just too creepy. I finished it later in more comfortable surroundings.
With the doors locked.
And a loaded gun by my side.
And a handcuff key within reach.

With "Misery," it was more in line with the OP's meaning, I think. When it got to the scene with the bucket of mop water, I just said "Eew, I don't like where this is going!" and gave up on it. Liked the movie, though.

Last edited by ApK; 01-28-2016 at 03:53 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #36
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Is this your first Hardy book? If so, and this is your reaction, I can't recommend you read any of his others...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:44 AM   #37
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
There are some books in this thread which have now ended up on my TBR list.

Darn you all
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:24 AM   #38
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
In the "old" days, I would flip to some random point toward the end of the book to see if the character was still there and whether they seemed to be recovered or not from whatever was disturbing me.

That is not so easy to do with an ebook, and I've had to learn to just push ahead. Sometimes I'll go online and see if I can find a spoiler, but that is a lot riskier than just reading a few words at the back of the book when I just want to check the fate of one character.
I have searched for a character's name on my Kindle and skimmed the search results to see if they were mentions or if the character was still present.

On another note, my daughter had a favorite series when she was younger that we recorded on VHS that she watched again and again. One of the episodes had a scene where cement was poured into the kitchen and she'd run out of the room until the scene was over. Everytime. She doesn't like to re-watch, re-read anything that has made her the slightest bit squeamish... a natural reaction, methinks.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #39
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The only book I wish I had put down was "Don't cry, it's only thunder". It was about a soldier and an orphanage in Vietnam. True story.
They made a movie of that one back in the eighties. I knew it was based on a true incident but I didn't know there had been a book.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083843/
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #40
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
True crime books don't affect me nearly as much as fiction. In true crime I've read the crime details generally seem to be presented with enough clinical detachment that I as a reader can also be detached. But a fiction writer can be more gruesome and evocative.
Well, the interviews with Bundy where he talks about details (though always in the third person so he could deny he meant himself - he was just helping to figure out possible scenarios, doncha know) were pretty gruesome.

And for me, the fact that it wasn't fiction, that he had really done these things to these poor girls was awful.

I've read a lot of true crime, but usually a single murder or two. Except for Bundy I avoid serial killer books, or I skip a lot of the details. What I'm usually interested in is how they were caught, so the investigation. And the trial.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #41
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post

On another note, my daughter had a favorite series when she was younger that we recorded on VHS that she watched again and again. One of the episodes had a scene where cement was poured into the kitchen and she'd run out of the room until the scene was over. Everytime. She doesn't like to re-watch, re-read anything that has made her the slightest bit squeamish... a natural reaction, methinks.
Full House?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #42
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
They made a movie of that one back in the eighties. I knew it was based on a true incident but I didn't know there had been a book.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083843/
The book actually came out after the movie.
If you liked the movie, please read the book.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #43
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Is this your first Hardy book? If so, and this is your reaction, I can't recommend you read any of his others...
I have read "Far from the Madding Crowd" and enjoyed it. My daughter told me to read "Tess" and I have been meaning to read it for a long time. I realize Hardy is not sympathetic to his characters but my reaction is irrational, I agree.

--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #44
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Full House?
Yes! I don't know if as a 20 something if she can watch that episode or not. LOL
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #45
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
If you are reading a good author who has a habit of getting you to like characters before they die off then bookmark your place and go to the penultimate chapter. That usually works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I have searched for a character's name on my Kindle and skimmed the search results to see if they were mentions or if the character was still present.
These are both good ideas! Thanks!

(I tend to treat my ebook readers like one page books -- I forget they have search and save features. )
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote