Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Ebooks which are too cool to be ebooks

It seems to me that the ebook equivalent of the coffee table book is the book which can't be done as a typical ebook format (.epub, .mobi, &c.) and which demands being done as a stand-alone app or in some other, freer format.

Here're my candidates for such:

- http://bemboszoo.com/ --- requires Flash --- mute speakers if animal noises aren't appropriate
- http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/jav.../elements.html --- Euclid's Elements, Joyce's Java version
- http://www.atpm.com/4.06/page13.shtml --- I really wish this were still workable and available --- the codex viewer was way cool
- http://periodictable.com/ipad/
- http://motionmountain.net/ --- free physics textbook as a .pdf w/ animation

(from the thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...08#post3045008 )

Add:

- Living Books, now published as: http://wanderfulstorybooks.com/

What others are there?
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's no such thing as an book that's too cool to be an ebook.

The only thing keeping your favorite coffee-table books from becoming ebooks is the fact that no one is yet making a coffee-table whose entire surface is, in fact, a touch-screen display (which can connect to a blue-tooth sound-system) capable of rendering webpages, EPUB3s and/or multimedia Kindle books.

You just need to wait on the coffee-table-ereader is all.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
My point is, there are ebooks which are too cool, or which have features which aren't supported by standard ebook formats:

- epub
- mobi
- ibooks
- djvu
- azw

That's what I was trying to elaborate on / enumerate.

So to turn it around, "What ebooks have features which prevent them from being done using standard ebook formats?"
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My point was to make a joke. I guess I blew it.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Any of these books: http://www.taschen.com/
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Audubon's Birds of America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birds_of_America
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Hmm... The Living Books were all based on actual books. Some of them used to ship with the paperbacks even. Disney used to package their movies into animated storybook CDs and then different book formats too.

Birds of America is also in ebook format too.

I have Disney's Animated app. It has these little workshops where you can manipulate characters, shapes, and various other things to explore the different technologies they use to make their movies. You could do this with video demos, but the hands on approach is much better.

As for the coffee table reader... Just put legs on the TV and use the slideshow feature.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #8
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
It sounds like this one, which my wife Barbara asked me to be on the eBook lookout for, may one day fit with the thread title:

http://pioneergirlproject.org/

Quote:
Will there be an eBook version of Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography?

Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography is a complex book, filled with annotations, appendices, images, and Wilder’s original text, and the development of a faithful eBook version compatible with the most popular eBook devices will be a complicated process. The South Dakota Historical Society Press has not yet set a date for the eventual release of Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography as an eBook.

Will there be an audio version of Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography?

Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography is a complex book, filled with annotations, appendices, images, and Wilder’s original text, and so far, audiobook companies have determined that the complexity of the work cannot be faithfully translated into audio formats. At this time, an audio version does not look likely.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:28 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There's no such thing as an book that's too cool to be an ebook.

The only thing keeping your favorite coffee-table books from becoming ebooks is the fact that no one is yet making a coffee-table whose entire surface is, in fact, a touch-screen display (which can connect to a blue-tooth sound-system) capable of rendering webpages, EPUB3s and/or multimedia Kindle books.

You just need to wait on the coffee-table-ereader is all.
Kinda like this?

http://www.geek.com/news/a-46-inch-m...ether-1557951/

They're still around but now they're called PixelSense.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_PixelSense

I'm waiting for the price to come down so I can load it with ASIMOV'S ULTIMATE ROBOT CD-ROM.

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archi...cred.html?pg=2

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-11-2015 at 10:32 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #10
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
I've got a 90% off kobo coupon waiting for a kepub of this:
Quote:
The Rolling Stones (Collector's Edition)
New
The Rolling Stones
SUMO size hardcover in clamshell box, 50 x 50 cm (20 x 20 in.), with 3 fold-outs and silkscreen printed chapter openers, 518 pages
$ 5,000

Limited Collector’s Edition of 1,150 copies (No. 451-1,600), all numbered and signed by the band members of the Rolling Stones.
Produced in collaboration with the band, this SUMO sized book charts the Stones’ remarkable history and outrageously cool lifestyle. With one-of-a-kind archival access, it features over 500 pages of incredible images, illustrations, and a foreword written by President Bill Clinton.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:26 PM   #11
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Oops, fjtorres beat me to it on the Microsoft PixelSense.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:54 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Kinda like this?

http://www.geek.com/news/a-46-inch-m...ether-1557951/

They're still around but now they're called PixelSense.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_PixelSense

I'm waiting for the price to come down so I can load it with ASIMOV'S ULTIMATE ROBOT CD-ROM.

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archi...cred.html?pg=2
See now that's cool!
Looks a little tall for a coffee table though, no? I didn't see anything about adjustable height, but that puppy appears to be up there in the TV tray realm.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:43 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
So to turn it around, "What ebooks have features which prevent them from being done using standard ebook formats?"
I don't know about ebooks, but when I was a kid there were books called "scratch and sniff" books which you could smell. They'd be pretty hard to do as ebooks .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #14
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know about ebooks, but when I was a kid there were books called "scratch and sniff" books which you could smell. They'd be pretty hard to do as ebooks .
I was thinking scratch-n-sniff, pop-up books and touch-and-feel books.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's coming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_qvjwLmrHo

Seriously:

http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/jyo...ent-technology

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-12-2015 at 08:46 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote