Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Epub Software that Supports Subfolders

I just wondered if anyone here knows of any software programs that allow you to organize your text files and images into folders and subfolders.

I started out with InDesign, but it doesn't let you work with your HTML (not to mention the fact that it's anal retentive). I then tried Sigil, which is wonderfully user-friendly - but it doesn't support subfolders. I was told Calibre does support folders, but it isn't working for me.

So I just wondered if there are any other options. I'm especially interested in programs that are user friendly and aren't too expensive.

Thanks.

P.S. I should mention that I'm using a Mac. I tried testing one program, only to discover that it's Windows only.

Last edited by SigilBear; 02-05-2017 at 09:56 PM.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:15 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
I just wondered if anyone here knows of any software programs that allow you to organize your text files and images into folders and subfolders.

I started out with InDesign, but it doesn't let you work with your HTML (not to mention the fact that it's anal retentive). I then tried Sigil, which is wonderfully user-friendly - but it doesn't support subfolders. I was told Calibre does support folders, but it isn't working for me.

So I just wondered if there are any other options. I'm especially interested in programs that are user friendly and aren't too expensive.

Thanks.

P.S. I should mention that I'm using a Mac. I tried testing one program, only to discover that it's Windows only.
How isn't Calibre working for you? I know that the Editor does support folders and subfolders. Is it the user interface you don't like?

You might try Blue Griffon. It is not an ePUB editor per se, but more an HTML/XML editor.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
How isn't Calibre working for you? I know that the Editor does support folders and subfolders. Is it the user interface you don't like?

You might try Blue Griffon. It is not an ePUB editor per se, but more an HTML/XML editor.
I have to back and play with Calibre some more. I was just told that you can create folders by simply renaming files. But that doesn't accomplish anything. If I understand correctly, it would still leave you with a flat list of names like this:

states/alaska.xhtml
states/arizona.xhtml

I would like to set it up so that, instead of seeing a list of a thousand file names, I can just see a dozen folder icons. I can then double-click on a folder to see its contents.

Is that possible in Calibre?

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
Is that possible in Calibre?
I don't think so. It groups files into broad categories and lists them alphabetically by name within those. Calibre will show the full path of a file when you select the option to rename it, but normally it doesn't show directories.

This reflects the typical organization of commercially produced ePubs. These are generated from other source files and all of the images are usually placed in a single folder.

EPub is meant to be a display/consumption format and the editing tools are geared to fixing problems with an existing book, not composing one from scratch.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-06-2017 at 12:38 PM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
SigilBear
Banned

Thanks. It looks like my subfolders is a lost cause, so I'll just go with the flow.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
What jhowell said is correct. Calibre can organize images into sub-folders by right-clicking on the image and renaming it with the appropriate sub-folder name in the path. Calibre creates the subfolder, and updates the link to match the new location. You can test this by saving the epub (to your desktop or somewhere) then rename that file to a .zip. Using your file manager you can open up that zip and see that the images are indeed located in sub-folders. However, Calibre still lists all the images in the single images section of it's files browser without breaking them into sub-folders.

This is different from Sigil, which will actually move your images into a single images folder.

One work-around you can try is to simply name your image files such that they will automatically sort themselves by group. eg. All pictures of Alaska begin with "AK-", all pictures of South Carolina begin with "SC-", etc.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
For anyone using the calibre Editor who wants to see at-a-glance what directory each file is in, go to Edit - Preferences - Main Window and check the last box labeled 'Show full file paths in the File Browser'.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #8
SigilBear
Banned

OK, I misunderstood about Calibre. I'll give it another try.

Tags
subfolders