Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-16-2015, 09:51 PM   #856
kalwisti
Enthusiast
kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
My wife is looking for a book she read in elementary school (mid-80s) about a young girl named Phoebe during the American Revolution. She thinks the title contains the girl's name but isn't sure. She did find "Phoebe the Spy" but doesn't think that is the right book. Any thoughts?
Hi, Dazrin,

This is a shot in the dark ... Might it be the book below?

Shore, Laura Jan. The sacred moon tree : being the true account of the trials and adventures of Phoebe Sands in the Great War Between the States, 1861-1865. New York: Bradbury Press, 1986. 209 p. ISBN 0027827909.

Summary note (from the WorldCat database):

"Determined to see the war for herself, twelve-year-old Phoebe disguised as a boy, travels with her friend Jotham behind enemy lines to Richmond in hopes rescuing Jotham's brother from a Rebel prison."

I realize that this one is set during the Civil War, but the other general details seem to fit.

Re: Phoebe the Spy:

According to OCLC WorldCat, this book was originally published under the title Phoebe and the General:

Griffin, Judith Berry. Phoebe and the general. Illus. Margot Tomes. New York : Coward, McCann & Geoghegan, 1977. 47 p. ISBN 0698203771.

Summary note:

"During the American Revolution, Phoebe Fraunces has a chance to save the life of General George Washington while he has dinner at Mortier House in New York City."

Maybe it's possible that your wife is remembering the book under this title ...

Last edited by kalwisti; 06-16-2015 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Added info on "Phoebe and the general".
kalwisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #857
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Thank you! It is certainly worth a shot. I will run it by her.

Edit: The Sacred Moon Tree is the correct book. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalwisti View Post
Hi, Dazrin,

This is a shot in the dark ... Might it be the book below?

Shore, Laura Jan. The sacred moon tree : being the true account of the trials and adventures of Phoebe Sands in the Great War Between the States, 1861-1865. New York: Bradbury Press, 1986. 209 p. ISBN 0027827909.

Summary note (from the WorldCat database):

"Determined to see the war for herself, twelve-year-old Phoebe disguised as a boy, travels with her friend Jotham behind enemy lines to Richmond in hopes rescuing Jotham's brother from a Rebel prison."

I realize that this one is set during the Civil War, but the other general details seem to fit.

Re: Phoebe the Spy:

According to OCLC WorldCat, this book was originally published under the title Phoebe and the General:

Griffin, Judith Berry. Phoebe and the general. Illus. Margot Tomes. New York : Coward, McCann & Geoghegan, 1977. 47 p. ISBN 0698203771.

Summary note:

"During the American Revolution, Phoebe Fraunces has a chance to save the life of General George Washington while he has dinner at Mortier House in New York City."

Maybe it's possible that your wife is remembering the book under this title ...

Last edited by Dazrin; 06-21-2015 at 01:49 AM. Reason: The Sacred Moon Tree is correct. Thank you!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #858
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
This one has been driving me bonkers of late so I'm throwing myself on the memory of Mobileread's romance fans:

* A Regency romance (might be borderline Victorian.)
* A big name author like Hawkins, Quinn, Balogh, etc but I can't find this book among their works.
* Not the Signet or Zebra line but near that era.
* About double the thickness of the above (probably due to text size and formatting.)
* Starts with S, and I think the cover was blue/purple with a manor house on it. NOT Skylark, Splendid (whose covers fit this.)
* The hero was a dandy that wore clocked stockings. I think he was an ex-spy as well. Heroes are never dandies so the fact he is one makes it stand out.
* Set in the country, not London. The heroine lived in the manor house next door or close by.
* The plot was focused around one of the manor houses. A mystery, treasure, treasonous secrets, or something similar.

Last edited by artifact; 06-20-2015 at 11:05 AM.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:07 AM   #859
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Looking for a book I read 3-4 years ago. I have searched my reviews on GR and Amazon and I cannot find it by cover. I think the authors first name was Nancy but not sure. Below is what I remember:

Book is set during the Great Depression & Prohibition (1930's) family moves from Detroit to either Illinois or Indiana to work at either brother's cousin (or family member) hotel. The family moving had 2 or 3 daughters. One daughter marries before they leave Detroit. Turns out the brother/cousin is a bootlegger and is caught by the FBI.

Edit: Found it 5 minutes after posting.
Book is Sweet Mercy by Ann Tatlock

Last edited by KyBunnies; 08-19-2015 at 01:12 AM.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #860
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
It's a book about a blind girl in occupied France during WW2. Any ideas? Sounds really interesting.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #861
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
It's a book about a blind girl in occupied France during WW2. Any ideas? Sounds really interesting.
Best guess
All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
Won the Pulitzer for fiction
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #862
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Was going to say the same (except that I couldn't remember the name any more than the first person could ...). I started reading in in June, but it was a borrowed book and I knew I wouldn't be able to finished so I quit. It was highly recommended by several people!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #863
johnc.eire
johnc.eire began at the beginning.

Device: kobo H2O
OK, another request for a book that I can barely remember... Hope that someone can help.

Science fiction, end-of-the-world scenario, mostly set in the UK, more specifically in Scotland, memory serves.
Astronaut goes to the Moon and comes back with a moon 'rock' as a present for one of his children.
The rock sot of 'infects' other rocks and turns them to dust.
I seem to recall that the rock is called 'moonsilver' (or something very close to that).
Any ideas anyone?

Johnc
johnc.eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:23 PM   #864
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc.eire View Post
OK, another request for a book that I can barely remember... Hope that someone can help.

Science fiction, end-of-the-world scenario, mostly set in the UK, more specifically in Scotland, memory serves.
Astronaut goes to the Moon and comes back with a moon 'rock' as a present for one of his children.
The rock sot of 'infects' other rocks and turns them to dust.
I seem to recall that the rock is called 'moonsilver' (or something very close to that).
Any ideas anyone?

Johnc
Moonseed by Stephen Baxter
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #865
johnc.eire
johnc.eire began at the beginning.

Device: kobo H2O
Many thanks, Dhevi.
Went back through my collection and yup! there it was.

This particular forum has got to be the most valuable one I have ever logged in to.
johnc.eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:54 PM   #866
p2808
p2808 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for book about 4 teen sleuths

When I was a pre-teen (early 80s) I read a book about 4 teens on summer vacation. One was a tinkerer who always managed to blow things up. One was tall (sticks maybe) the other who was the main character had a father who was a detective. and one other character I cant recall. Some how they got on the case of a villian who moved into town. this all happened the summer before their senior year. It was a soft back and real light in nature. Does anyone have any Ideas what this book is?

Thanks in advance
p2808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #867
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2808 View Post
When I was a pre-teen (early 80s) I read a book about 4 teens on summer vacation. One was a tinkerer who always managed to blow things up. One was tall (sticks maybe) the other who was the main character had a father who was a detective. and one other character I cant recall. Some how they got on the case of a villian who moved into town. this all happened the summer before their senior year. It was a soft back and real light in nature. Does anyone have any Ideas what this book is?

Thanks in advance
This reminded me of the children's Three Detective series (starring Jupiter Jones) at first glance. But I think the ages of the boys (and the '80s timeframe you mentioned) takes it of contention.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #868
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
This reminded me of the children's Three Detective series (starring Jupiter Jones) at first glance. But I think the ages of the boys (and the '80s timeframe you mentioned) takes it of contention.
Alfred Hitchcock's Three Investigators. Those lads could run circles around the Scooby-Doo crew!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #869
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Alfred Hitchcock's Three Investigators. Those lads could run circles around the Scooby-Doo crew!
That's the name! Jupe and boys were the bees knees. I wanted my own trailer buried under a salvage yard for a secret hangout! But alas, I don't think it's what p2808 is looking for. They should go ahead and read them just the same, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:42 PM   #870
cocopuff
Connoisseur
cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simpletouch Glowlight, Kobo Aura H2O
Ok this is a book I read from our school library years ago. The only part I remember clearly is it is about a boy's summer and at one point he decides to dig a well for oil/water so he uses a wagon axle hooked up to a tree to pound a hole. He eventually does find oil, but it turns out that it was from an old gas stations tank that was buried years ago. This is just one chapter of the book but it is all that I can remember about it.
cocopuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths