Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For eBooks, I like two blank lines and then a non-indented paragraph to start off the new section. If because the line spaces are at the bottom of the page, it's easy to tell when the page is turned and the next paragraph is not indented.
That's a bit too "subtle" for me, Jon. I like to see a "positive" indication of a scene break. Blank lines don't really work with the present crop of ADE devices, because they all do widow/orphan control, and will leave a blank line at the bottom of a page rather than display a single line of a paragraph there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
You can even get cute and use something like:

-=oOo=-

or some other attractive string. I've seen this done if the author was feeling energetic.
You can use an image too.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #18
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
When it comes to scene changes, I prefer to do one of the following:

- Insert a centered marker like "* * *" or "- - -" with a blank line above and below it.

- Insert a flush-left scene header like "Meanwhile at City Hall..." in a san-serif typeface with a blank line above and below it.

The main reason I don't use blank lines to indicate scene changes is that in the ebooks I format myself, I separate the paragraphs with blank lines. When formatted like this, blank lines don't provide any visual indication of a scene change. If I formatted my paragraphs by indenting the first line of each paragraph without blank lines, I would still including the markers/scene headings as above to ensure clarity.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a bit too "subtle" for me, Jon. I like to see a "positive" indication of a scene break. Blank lines don't really work with the present crop of ADE devices, because they all do widow/orphan control, and will leave a blank line at the bottom of a page rather than display a single line of a paragraph there.
Well, one thing I do when I edit my ePubs is to turn off widows and orphans.

body {
widows: 0;
orphans: 0
}

That works to remove windows and orphans. Then I don't have any issues with blank lines as scene separators.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #20
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That works to remove windows and orphans.
Quite the contrary, that puts back the widows and orphans that would have been removed otherwise
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Quite the contrary, that puts back the widows and orphans that would have been removed otherwise
Ah right. My mistake in wording it. But actually, I rather like having no widows and orphans.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote