Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #121
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
the sony pocket goes on sale regularly for 119 or 129. It's smaller, but also looks very nice with the aluminum case instead of plastic.

I'll bet the blogger is right and amazon will drop the keyboard and add touch to the next kindle. That will leave all the major players offering nearly identical devices.
For $119 the pocket isn't bad but I still think any eReader without at least Wi-Fi is kind of outdated. Heck, the base nook will be the same price as the Pocket pretty soon. The base kindle is slightly cheaper than that.

Sony is going work their way out of the market if they keep pricing things the way they do.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #122
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Cant wait to see how the UI works, the page I keep seeing looks pretty interesting, seems very intuitive. Kind of reminds me of the Windows Phone 7 type of UI, If so , then that is really cool.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #123
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
the sony pocket goes on sale regularly for 119 or 129. It's smaller, but also looks very nice with the aluminum case instead of plastic.

I'll bet the blogger is right and amazon will drop the keyboard and add touch to the next kindle. That will leave all the major players offering nearly identical devices.
I think they'll have too. Barnes and Noble has gained enough traction for amazon to worry about them or at least keeping them in their rear view mirror. And in this day and age of everything touchscreen, the current Kindle really does look outdated.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #124
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Kinda...fugly.

RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #125
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Kinda...fugly.

I don't know looks like a regular reader to me. Kinda vanilla. Nothing that stands out like a keyboard or an LCD strip. I'm guessing they are staying away from anything that could be polarizing.

ahhhh I love the LCD strip

I'm liking the UI look so far. Looks pretty slick.

Last edited by boswd; 05-24-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #126
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
I personally hate the new look. If eReaders were Lanisters, the new nook would be Tyrion. Here's hoping that even though fugly, it's still badass.
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #127
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Who is this Sony of which you speak? Wait, you mean THAT Sony? I haven't heard anything from them in ages, how have they been doing lately?
It appears they have been happily giving away what little market share they had in the US and Canada. The Kobo is the real problem for Sony because it is an international device. The Nook is still a US based device.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #128
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kypt View Post
I personally hate the new look. If eReaders were Lanisters, the new nook would be Tyrion. Here's hoping that even though fugly, it's still badass.
Literal lol. Tyrion is one of my favorite literary characters ever.

I miss the LCD panel! I want it back, but I know it's not practical and a bit polarizing. *hugs Nook Classic*

I'm really hoping that it will look slimmer and less squat in person.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #129
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
Literal lol. Tyrion is one of my favorite literary characters ever.

I miss the LCD panel! I want it back, but I know it's not practical and a bit polarizing. *hugs Nook Classic*

I'm really hoping that it will look slimmer and less squat in person.
Welcome to the world of a K1 owner. Maybe we should start a support group for people who like the look of their polarizing devices.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #130
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
Looking at hands-on video it does look pretty neat. I would like to see how it treats side-loaded content and I guess I will just have to go to a store and play with it to make up my mind.

Also, Tyrion is my favorite character as well. Love who they casted for him on the HBO series.
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #131
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Now it's Amazons turn. I bet the new kindle will have to do better than to also get touchscreen and lose the keyboard. I say it will also have a plastic screen (again exclusive for at least a half year) and a better resolution (300 dpi).
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #132
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
The Nook's 2 months of battery life is calculated on using the device for 30 minutes a day with wifi turned off. I don't know how Kobo calculates its 10 days.
That's 30 hours of reading time. So it's really only a little more than twice what the original nook gets (I get about 13 hours or so). Should last me 4 days instead of 2
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #133
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
That's 30 hours of reading time. So it's really only a little more than twice what the original nook gets (I get about 13 hours or so). Should last me 4 days instead of 2
You are not taking into account the stand-by time. Two months of stand-by is going to have a large impact on the battery; if you read more than 30 minutes a day it will certainly last you less than 2 months, but it should give you more than 30 hours reading time, I reckon.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #134
boswd
Banned

just saw some screen shots of it's "shop" app, looks to be very similiar to the style on teh nook color which is absolutley awesome. This is a nice refresh for shopping on your device.

well done BN.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #135
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Any chance we can consolidate a few of these new nook threads?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote