Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #16
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I LOVE Season of Passage! A little surprised I'm not the only one It's one of the few pback books I kept after getting my ereader b/c it's not available in eformat (and probably never will be...).
It really is a great book. His other "adult" novels were not quite as good.

Did you read his teenybopper books as well?
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #17
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchbaby View Post
It really is a great book. His other "adult" novels were not quite as good.

Did you read his teenybopper books as well?
I did, actually They were hugely popular around the time I hit my tweens (wonder if they still are?). So was RL Stine's Fear Street series, but I never cared for those.

I've read most of his adult novels, and you're right, Season of Passage is the only one I'd really recommend to anyone.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #18
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I'll second GlennD's recommendation for Bloodsucking Fiends (and You Suck) by Christopher Moore. Those are both good lighthearted vampire stories (but they're not set in space, sorry).

Although, I think you might be better off reading Moore's A Dirty Job. There's a first chapter teaser up on his site, and it looks like there are teasers up for his other books, too. From the sounds of things, Christopher Moore is exactly what you're looking for right now.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #19
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I can't believe I forgot to suggest Charlaine Harris' 'Southern Vampire' series. I've only read the first few and they are definitely light-hearted. Starts with "Dead Until Dark."
Eek, have you read them all? Especially the more recent ones? They have gotten progressively darker and less light-hearted with each one, IMHO. The last book was way too depressing, and left the door open for even more to go wrong for poor Sookie...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #20
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I've read some Charlaine Harris. I think I have a Christopher Moore on my reader already, so I may start there, and see if I can find the Hal Spacejock. Thanks, everyone! Some great ideas to consider later.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 11:58 PM   #21
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I did, actually They were hugely popular around the time I hit my tweens (wonder if they still are?). So was RL Stine's Fear Street series, but I never cared for those.

I've read most of his adult novels, and you're right, Season of Passage is the only one I'd really recommend to anyone.
I don't think they're very popular today. It's too bad, 'cause they were definitely fun.

What about LJ Smith? Her vampires are so much better than the Twilighters! (And they've been rereleased!) I am a little worried about the what the CW is going to do with the TV show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I've read some Charlaine Harris. I think I have a Christopher Moore on my reader already, so I may start there, and see if I can find the Hal Spacejock. Thanks, everyone! Some great ideas to consider later.
Christopher Moore is great! the only one I would stay away from is Island of the Sequined Love Nun. It was the first of his I read and I almost refused to try another, I hated it so much.

The plot of A Dirty Job appealed to me too much to resist, and boy am I glad it did!
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #22
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Fizzy, thanks for the heads-up. Like I said, I only read the first few. I stopped partly because they were too 'light' and emotionally uninvolved for my taste. If it gets darker then I may have to pick that series up again!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:53 AM   #23
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I can't say if they are available as ebooks, but there is a series of books called "Vampirates", about pirates and vampires and vampire pirates.
It's usually classified as "Young Adult".
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #24
disney_mommy
Ebook fanatic
disney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Have you tried Janet Evanovich's "Stephanie Plum" mysteries? The series has become same-old-same-old, but reading the first four or eight are still worth a giggle, IMO.
LOVE her Stephanie Plum series. Sometimes predictable plotlines, but very original, outrageous characters. I think it has a lot of "dry" humor which I like. Several times in each book I found myself chuckling out loud. There is a bit of sex, but from what I remember, it's not very graphically described.
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #25
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I just read the first 3 "Psychic Eye" books by Victoria Laurie. Heroine, Abby Cooper, is a psychic intuitive. They are light mysteries and funny. I plan to go ahead and read the next 3 shortly. Book 7 is out later this year.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:04 AM   #26
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I'm not sure about the price, but

Light Scifi, that is very quirky and posotivly Hilarious is

Joe Scalzi - The Androids Dream

Quote:
A human diplomat kills his alien counterpart. Earth is on the verge of war with a vastly superior alien race. A lone man races against time and a host of enemies to find the one object that can save our planet and our people from alien enslavement...

A sheep.

That's right, a sheep. And if you think that's the most surprising thing about this book, wait until you read Chapter One. Welcome to The Android's Dream.

For Harry Creek, it's quickly becoming a nightmare. All he wants is to do his uncomplicated mid-level diplomatic job with Earth's State Department. But his past training and skills get him tapped to save the planet--and to protect pet store owner Robin Baker, whose own past holds the key to the whereabouts of that lost sheep. Doing both will take him from lava-strewn battlefields to alien halls of power. All in a day's work. Maybe it's time for a raise.

Throw in two-timing freelance mercenaries, political lobbyists with megalomaniac tendencies, aliens on a religious quest, and an artificial intelligence with unusual backstory, and you've got more than just your usual science fiction adventure story. You've got The Android's Dream.
John Scalzi is also the Author of the Old Mans War Series which I Highly Recommend as well.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote