Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #31
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Whats really annoying about stephen king is that you cant post on his forums at night or during the weekend, and every post has to be approved by the mods.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #32
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Whats really annoying about stephen king is that you cant post on his forums at night or during the weekend, and every post has to be approved by the mods.
I thought you were joking. Nope.
http://www.stephenking.com/forums/sh...469#post267469
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #33
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Thought I would bump this thread.

I am planning to read "The Stand" after I heard it is a big inspiration for LOST.

To the OP (or anyone else), did you ever decide which version was best to read? "The Stand" already seemed pretty long as it is, but if the 400 pages really adds a whole lot, I'll bite.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #34
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Couldn't agree more. I was a massive fan of his work growing up, but with each new release he just disappoints me more and more. I think he's a victim of his success. He makes so much money for the publishers that he can do whatever he likes, including the fat middle sections of the books or terrible endings.
It's so true. I loved him growing up, and I still enjoy most of his older novels, but his new stuff is utter crap.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #35
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I read the original when it came out and I read the complete uncut when it came out. I'd have to say I enjoyed the first one more but the reason why isn't necessarily because it's better "cut". I think it was because it was new and I hadn't read it before. I still had ehh.. "being flabbergastedly impressed" on the table as an optional result. And I was. I didn't like horror books and it was my first foray into S. King and boy, was I impressed by the writing. So there's some bias toward the first one I think. I guess I'd say the 2nd one might be better but the extra part just made up for the loss of the "first time" feel. Anyway, I did not find it better.

I'll say too, precious few books I've read have been improved by a 2nd reading. I can count them on one hand I bet. I'm happy when I just like them as much the 2nd time through.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #36
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Stephen King may hate to hear it, but The Stand IS one of my favorite books. I've read both versions, and much prefer the original 'cut' version, mostly because the 'uncut' version doesn't just restore what the publisher made him remove, but because he also 'updated' it, and it didn't need updating. This resulted in him actually cutting out some of my favorite parts of the original, since they involved 70s cultural references.

So the 'uncut' version is actually 'cut' to me, just longer.

But both versions are good - I think it's a modern classic that everyone should at least try to read. If it's not your cup of tea, don't finish it - but I'll bet you finish it.

Forkyfork, it's incredible what LOST has gotten me to read - one of the reasons I LOVE that show. Just finished 'Our Mutual Friend', which was terrific.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #37
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Books too long for my taste. And I can't stand, no pun intended, the way he projects the protagonist's thoughts constantly. Drives me crazy and why I can only read about 1 in 10 of his books. I do acknowledge his greatness though.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #38
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
I've read a fair amount of Steven King over the years, and in general have enjoyed his page-turners. However, The Stand lost my interest after about 400 pages --- I just couldn't continue on. It was his third or fourth book that I had read, after Carrie, Salem's Lot (and maybe The Shining?), and was a very different experience.

As an aside, I met Steven King 37 years ago. We went to the same school and had the same English professor as an advisor. He had just finished writing Carrie (hadn't been published yet), and was dirt-poor, working in a local laundromat (if I remember correctly). He had really long, dark hair (we all had long hair back then), was very thin, and seemed like a hell of a nice guy. No one, including him, had any inkling he would be a multi-zillionaire years later!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #39
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I just noticed 'The Stand' is down to $35 on the Sony site from $45
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #40
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
Books too long for my taste. And I can't stand, no pun intended, the way he projects the protagonist's thoughts constantly. Drives me crazy and why I can only read about 1 in 10 of his books. I do acknowledge his greatness though.
And this is exactly why I loved his earlier books. I like to know why people do what they do.

His characters in "The Stand" and "Salems Lot" seemed very real, because of this . Even many of his short story characters are realistic because of the way he introduces them to us.

And, just my opinion, but I loved both editions of The Stand.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote