Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #31
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Just want to throw an idea up to those with battery drain issues and the latest firmware. I have noticed a common theme with those people, they all seem to lock the Pocket Pro. I run the latest firmware and currently read mainly epubs. My current charge has just dropped to half after reading approximately 3000 page turns, but I don't lock the pocket pro at all, with a SD card in the slot constantly (though the books have been read since last charge from both internal memory and SD card).

So perhaps that could be causing an issue, the locking of the pp?? Just a thought (I have many, most are completely useless but the occasional thought is solid gold )
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #32
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Just want to throw an idea up to those with battery drain issues and the latest firmware. I have noticed a common theme with those people, they all seem to lock the Pocket Pro. I run the latest firmware and currently read mainly epubs. My current charge has just dropped to half after reading approximately 3000 page turns, but I don't lock the pocket pro at all, with a SD card in the slot constantly (though the books have been read since last charge from both internal memory and SD card).

So perhaps that could be causing an issue, the locking of the pp?? Just a thought (I have many, most are completely useless but the occasional thought is solid gold )
That's my general consensus now that you guys seem to confirm that the battery drains during lockscreen. So, something is running during lockscreen right? Else, why would the battery drain?

I can't live without lockscreen on my PP so I'd rather loose a few minor updates for better battery life and use of lockscreen with the older Dec '09 firmware.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
That's my general consensus now that you guys seem to confirm that the battery drains during lockscreen. So, something is running during lockscreen right? Else, why would the battery drain?

I can't live without lockscreen on my PP so I'd rather loose a few minor updates for better battery life and use of lockscreen with the older Dec '09 firmware.
I agree.
Locking the screen before closing the cover is important to avoid unwanted page turns
You normally don't need to close the cover when the PEz is on the Nightstand (unless you have cats who think a PEz is a stepping stone )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #34
Gena01
Gena01 began at the beginning.

Device: Ez Reader 5" Pocket Pro
I am actually thinking that the battery issues could be related to the new CoolReader software. This was a major update in the last firmware. From reading the-ebook.org forums they are still getting kinks out of that software. One of the biggest being font related bug that would consume memory and possibly drain battery.

Gena01
Gena01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #35
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I agree.
Locking the screen before closing the cover is important to avoid unwanted page turns
You normally don't need to close the cover when the PEz is on the Nightstand (unless you have cats who think a PEz is a stepping stone )
Well I don't have pets, but as I tend to stack papers on my desk and move stuff around, I could accidently bump the cover and go to who knows what page or menu. Also, I carry it on my commutes in a bag, so all that bumping around has turned as far as 300 PP pages during the few times I forgot to lock the screen and also forgot to bookmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena01 View Post
I am actually thinking that the battery issues could be related to the new CoolReader software. This was a major update in the last firmware. From reading the-ebook.org forums they are still getting kinks out of that software. One of the biggest being font related bug that would consume memory and possibly drain battery.

Gena01
Well whatever it is, I'm hoping Astak and the factory will iron out the remaining bugs for the next FW release. I hate seeing previous problems come back up in future updates (seeing how this has been a problem since the middle of last year at least in updates before the Dec '09 one).
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #36
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Remaining bugs hopefully solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Well I don't have pets, but as I tend to stack papers on my desk and move stuff around, I could accidently bump the cover and go to who knows what page or menu. Also, I carry it on my commutes in a bag, so all that bumping around has turned as far as 300 PP pages during the few times I forgot to lock the screen and also forgot to bookmark.

Well whatever it is, I'm hoping Astak and the factory will iron out the remaining bugs for the next FW release. I hate seeing previous problems come back up in future updates (seeing how this has been a problem since the middle of last year at least in updates before the Dec '09 one).
Dear Acreo Aeneas:

I agree. Nothing is more painful than re-releasing a firmware upgrade and it still acts up. Unfortunately, because we are not reaching high volume yet on sales, the factory is not as easy to get complete assistance from all the time. We are trying to work things out on all future firmware upgrades and I agree that it is a priority. It IS possible that the Coolreader is part of the problem; and we are asking the factory engineers to research this.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #37
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena01 View Post

Gena01
Anything is possible, but really, I would have hoped the software design was such that the operating system had control over the hardware, hence a problem like battery drain could not be caused by an application program, especially a simple reader program.

A little evidence of this might be found in what happened to the lbook software recently As I understand it, it seems that the developer changed to using different base software for the recent builds with the new Coolreader, and this started battery drain problems. Going back to the last one built on the old system, still with the new Coolreader, fixes the battery problem.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote