Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Any non-Sony covers still available?

I'm still using the standard Sony cover for my 505.

I'm not interested in covers with lights. Otherwise, are there any neat/handy non-Sony covers that are still available for my 505? If so, which ones and where?

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I have a M-Edge cover (one of the leather ones) for my 505, and they say that their covers for the 600 will also fit the 505. Case Logic also brings up a couple of 600 covers on their device search, or if you check "will this fit my device?".

I can't recommend the M-Edge cover highly enough, by the way. I lucked out and got mine cheap when Amazon was clearing out the 505 variety, but having held and used it, I would pay full price for it in a heartbeat if I needed another one. It feels "booky".

I bought the last one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

If I hadn't already bought a different one, I would also probably have picked up M-Edge's booklight. The cover has a little slot that a tab on the booklight mounts in, for easy use.

The light I have isn't quite so convenient, but it's usable as either a laptop light or a booklight (handy for my netbook) and it has a battery pack with USB output that can feed a couple of other small USB-powered devices in an emergency.

This is my booklight: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I'm not interested in covers with lights. Otherwise, are there any neat/handy non-Sony covers that are still available for my 505? If so, which ones and where?
I placed my 505 in the Book Armor when I purchased it 17 months ago and haven't removed it since.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
PRS-600 covers should fit your 505.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Thanks!
Peter, when M-Edge was clearing them out, I bought a PRS-505 Executive Jacket and put it on my PRS-600. It fit perfectly, so I have to assume their PRS-600 jackets will fit the 505.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Thanks for the info in this thread and also in the other thread here.

I found this m-Edge Kindle Latitude...

I like the idea of just taking my PRS 505 in its cover and placing the whole things in this case for traveling. Plus, this case has some extra pockets where I can stick certain things e.g. recharging cable, paper clip for reset, etc.

Last edited by petercreasey; 05-19-2010 at 02:46 PM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
dow
Addict
dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
Peter, when M-Edge was clearing them out, I bought a PRS-505 Executive Jacket and put it on my PRS-600. It fit perfectly, so I have to assume their PRS-600 jackets will fit the 505.
Hmm... Makes me wonder. I emailed M-Edge this morning asking if they had anything that would fit the PRS-505, and this is their response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Edge Support
Dear Dow,

Thank you for your interest in our products! We have discontinued our Sony PRS-505 products and they are no longer available. None of our other jackets are compatible with the dimensions of the Sony PRS-505. I apologize for the inconvenience! Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Take Care,
Kelly
Team M-Edge
www.medgestore.com
dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dow View Post
Hmm... Makes me wonder. I emailed M-Edge this morning asking if they had anything that would fit the PRS-505, and this is their response:
How odd. I bought the 600 when it first came out and they didn't have any 600 covers at that point.

Note that wikipedia reports the dimensions of the 505 and the 600 this way:

PRS-505 specifications
Size: 175 × 122 × 8 mm (6.9" × 4.8" × 0.3")

PRS-600
Size: 175.3 x 121.9 x 10.2 mm (6.9" x 4.8" x 0.4")

So, a case for a 600 might be 2.2mm too "roomy" for a 505 - less than a 10th of an inch, but possibly still enough to keep the elastic from fitting snugly.

However, you could always add something behind the 505 to fill in the gap.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Here's what M-Edge told me back in April:

Quote:
Although we cannot endorse the usage of our Jackets with devices other than the one they were specifically designed for, we have had other customers report success in using our PRS 600 Jacket with their PRS 505 device.
If the straps are 2mm too loose, go to any big chain craft store and buy a sheet of the thin foam (it looks almost like felt, but not fuzzy) that they sell for kids to make stuff out of. Cut a PRS-sized piece, put it between the back of the Reader and the case. It comes in all kinds of different colors, too, so you can color-coordinate it! (it also works as a great non-skid surface, cheap gasket material, and a whole lot of other things the craft stores probably never thought of)

(it's this stuff: http://craftsuppliesforless.com/kids...oamsheets.html )

Last edited by Worldwalker; 05-19-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:11 AM   #9
chinesealbumart
Enthusiast
chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
still using my M Edge jacket and loving it

http://tinyurl.com/24z3o4y
chinesealbumart is offline   Reply With Quote