Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Anyone tried this ebook manager software (not free)

...it's called Alpha Ebooks Manager, priced at $19.95

There's a free trial version, but I'm not sure how or in what way it's crippled.

I'm not affiliated with it in any way - just curious.

ADDED, from their website:
"Alfa Ebooks Manager trial version provides full functionality and can be used without time limits and on any number of computers. The only limitation is max 50 books in the database."

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
It is called Alfa
It looks like Calibre on steroids... I am going to download it and see. I can almost bet that I will not use it since I would have to fire up Parallels on my Mac to run Windows lol
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried it, deleted it.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I tried it, deleted it.
...because...?

Don
Old 10-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
...because...?

Don
It kinda reminded me of ADE and iTunes... and i would have to boot into Windows to use it. Not the best reason I will admit but oh well
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 03:38 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Clunky software...

I added a book. I couldn't add my category and publisher on the book adding screen, each has its own screen where I must first push a button so I can add a category, then I must select that category and finally I must close the screen.

You can only add one format of books and as I have two of each book (mobi and epub), I can't add them both.

You can't copy/paste a path to a book, you must use the file selection dialog.

It did recognize that I added a mobi book, but when I tried to open it, it crashed. So, I started the application again, tried to open it again, crash. Again, I opened the application, but now I tried to view the properties of the book: crash.

And lastly, it has a black background which you can change to white, but you will no longer see your menu items. And I dislike black backgrounds.

I'll stick with my Book Library from Wensoft (it's not perfect, but I've had it for years, and it's so much configurable that I can put everything in it I want)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

It definitely sounds like something to avoid.

Thank you, rcuadro and Sweetpea.

Don
Old 10-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hey Dr Drib, if you just want to track your books, I uploaded an eBook database I designed in Access here in the Freebies section. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ebook+database

Just delete the sample books I have in it and add your own.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hey Dr Drib, if you just want to track your books, I uploaded an eBook database I designed in Access here in the Freebies section. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ebook+database

Thank you.

I appreciate the info, as I wasn't aware of this. I'll go ahead and download it.

Don
Old 10-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Let me know how it works and if you'd like any changes.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Will do.

I just now downloaded it and will play with for awhile.

Thanks,
Don
Old 10-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
cassidym, thank you for the free program, which I've looked at and tested.

In terms of additional features, I'm one of those people who own ebooks in different formats. It would be handy if there was a way to specify what format one's ebook was in, such as epub, .lit, RTF, etc.

I would also like to see a way to Import books using something as a delimiter, and based upon the Fields you already have in your database.

I personally like to view the books in Data Sheet View - similar to a spreadsheet - so this is how I'm viewing the books.

This is not quite what I'm looking for (I'm not certain exactly what I am looking for at this point), but I respect and appreciate your generosity in making this available for all members of MobileRead.

For anyone who has not tried this program, I strongly suggest you download it and give it a try. This is a fine program with a Menu as a front end. It has the ability to sort on any of the fields. Fields listed include the standard Title, Author, as well as ISBN, Books Read, Read Date, Source, and Price. The program is not only for ebooks, but also for Books.

cassidym, thank you again for letting me look at your program. I'm keeping it on my computer.

Don
Old 10-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I use this software for my DVD, Ebooks, books and music

http://www.delicious-monster.com/

you do need a mac however?

It allows me to type the ISBN in for ebooks(or scan the barcode with webcam for physical items) and then they are added to a section(shelf) of my choice, one of the thinks that makes it work well for ebooks is that a note - other field exists and is searchable. that is where I add the location of the file or files. oh and it looks awesome!
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:

Wow! I am going to have to give this a try Thanks!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
jee
Enthusiast
jee began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
I've just searched for a topic about this program. Btw, the topic name should be changed to Alfa Ebooks Manager.

Actually it's the best software of this kind I've ever used. Awhile ago, the trial version on the site was buggy, not sure whether it's corrected. However, do download a free version and give it a try. I don't like Calibre, since it cannot recognize practically any book from my HUGE ebook collection, and it's so slow. But I do use it for converting my ebooks.

This little software AEM is very fast and it can manage several thousands of ebooks. Like 90% of the free ebooks I own, that are usually hard to recognize by the document properties (calibre recognized not a single one!), this software recognized automatically! It downloaded the covers and the books info from the Internet. Just great and I truly recommend it. It does look awkward at first, since its way of managing books is rather unusual, but you should get use to it in about half an hour.
jee is offline   Reply With Quote