Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Moving books from 500 to 505

I have a few more books on the 500 than the library has - how do I get them into the library so I can transfer them to my new 505?*

Does the 500 automatically sync with the eReader Library (I don't remember it's exact new name - it's the upgrade from what was Connect)?

(I'm hoping I don't have to manually go through the 500 to see what's not in the library.)

Note that both Readers are authenticated, there is a sync option under the Memory Card listing only (with the 500) and it only gives the library as an option. In other words, I could not find a manual sync button to click for the main 500 library.

(* The problem is that I put books on the 500 using an older computer. Those are the books on the 500 that are not in the newer computer's Sony Library.)

Hope this isn't too confusing! And thanks for any help.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Connect the reader to the computer. Open Ebook Library. View the list of books on your reader. Drag and drop the titles from the list into the library: Books section. This is on the toolbar on the left of the screen. Job done.

Alternatively, if you have titles that you have purchased from the Sony Store, then just access your account and download them again.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
What she said.

The only books for the Sony that have DRM and cannot move easily are the ones that were purchased and downloaded from Sony. They are restricted to your account and will work on any device also authorized on the same account. There should be no problem if you follow Patricia's directions. Most likely I would skip the movement part and just download again from Sony.

If the books are not from Sony, just follow the drag to library step and it should work out fine.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Ah, my bad for not mentioning that I tried that and got the red circle with a line through it telling me I could not do that.

These are PDF books I created to fit on the Reader from HTML files, not books purchased from the Sony Connect Store.

Thanks for the response though. My apologies for not mentioning that I'd tried that and it hadn't worked. That was my whole motivation for posting in the first place!

Last edited by Studio717; 08-15-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I too have a 500. I just loaded a PDF file on the internal memory of the 500 from a CD. I then selected the internal memory of the 500 and it displayed all of the books on the Reader including the just added PDF. I then selected the PDF file and moved it to the Library with the books downloaded from Sony. No red circle with a slash, just a plus sign ("+") and when I selected thew library the PDF was there. I disconnected the Reader and then opened the PDF from the library and it was the same file.

I am not sure what is happening with you as I am able to move PDF files about.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
mickitaz
Connoisseur
mickitaz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Okay.. here is a question about content... I bought a used prs-505. It had a bunch of books on the device. I was able to transfer them to my library on my computer. No problem.. have them saved.

Now, when I try to transfer them onto my reader, it tells me that I must purchase this book before I transfer it to my device. Is there a way around this?
mickitaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickitaz View Post
Now, when I try to transfer them onto my reader, it tells me that I must purchase this book before I transfer it to my device. Is there a way around this?
If these are LRX files... no. The reader must be registered to the account the books were bought from. It must also know that you didn't download those books from your account.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
mickitaz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If these are LRX files... no. The reader must be registered to the account the books were bought from. It must also know that you didn't download those books from your account.

BOb
Thanks BOb... kinda new to this type of stuff... how can I tell if these are LRX files?

I guess that means that I can only purchase books from Sony then?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thanks BOb... kinda new to this type of stuff... how can I tell if these are LRX files?

I guess that means that I can only purchase books from Sony then?
Um... just look at the file names. When you are in eBook library go to book info and it shows the file name. A .LRX file is DRM protected and tied to PCs and Readers that are registered to the Sony account that purchased the eBook.

I assume you registered the device to your own Sony account? If so, you will be unable to read and LRX files that were already on the device. Unless the previous owner gave you the account name and password you are pretty much out of luck.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:04 AM   #10
mickitaz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Um... just look at the file names. When you are in eBook library go to book info and it shows the file name. A .LRX file is DRM protected and tied to PCs and Readers that are registered to the Sony account that purchased the eBook.

I assume you registered the device to your own Sony account? If so, you will be unable to read and LRX files that were already on the device. Unless the previous owner gave you the account name and password you are pretty much out of luck.

BOb
Thanks for the help. Actually, the file type indicates BBeB Book. This is kind of disheartening. However, makes me feel a little better about people trying to pirate books and stuff.

Ironically, I bought the physical book a couple of days before I bought the reader. Once I found out the book was on the reader, I returned it to Borders. Now it looks like I will have to buy it again. Not a big deal...Just thought the books would have been a sweet deal with the reader.

I really appreciate the help with this. I hope you don't mind me taking advantage of your attention Sony promotes the 100 free Classic Books. Indicates that once you authorize your device/computer, the credit should be in your account.

After 2 hours on the phone with support, they tell me that I should just be able to "buy" the book without the credit. It will allow me to download the book, and never credit my account.

Have you tried this? What are your thoughts. Again, thank you very much.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:59 AM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
After 2 hours on the phone with support, they tell me that I should just be able to "buy" the book without the credit. It will allow me to download the book, and never credit my account.

Have you tried this? What are your thoughts. Again, thank you very much.
Yes, this is standard practice for the free classics offer. It's also the way to obtain the free books that Sony were giving away in their August offers. You go through the motions of making a purchase but the amount in the checkout appears as nil. Then you download the book(s).
On the plus side, Sony have more than a hundred books categorised as 'Sony Classics', so you get to have a choice.
On the minus side, these are automatic conversions of public domain books. The quality is not always good.
Try comparing them with our hand-crafted books in our book upload section. You will find better versions of most of the classics on offer. (If you haven't found it yet, then go to the blue bar towards the top of this page and click on 'Ebooks'.)

Incidentally BbeB is one of the names for the Sony proprietary format. The book will have an LRF file extension when there is no DRM and an LRX extension when it is DRM'd.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #12
mickitaz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Yes, this is standard practice for the free classics offer. It's also the way to obtain the free books that Sony were giving away in their August offers. You go through the motions of making a purchase but the amount in the checkout appears as nil. Then you download the book(s).
On the plus side, Sony have more than a hundred books categorised as 'Sony Classics', so you get to have a choice.
On the minus side, these are automatic conversions of public domain books. The quality is not always good.
Try comparing them with our hand-crafted books in our book upload section. You will find better versions of most of the classics on offer. (If you haven't found it yet, then go to the blue bar towards the top of this page and click on 'Ebooks'.)

Incidentally BbeB is one of the names for the Sony proprietary format. The book will have an LRF file extension when there is no DRM and an LRX extension when it is DRM'd.
Wow..that worked great Patricia... thanks. I downloaded Hard Times from Sony last night to see if the "free" thing worked. While it looked like a regular transaction, nothing has posted to my credit card... yet.

I also tested this site, and tried Anna Karenina and Moby Dick. That worked awesome! Thank you all so much for your help.