Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Don't want to have to register the reader

Since I remove the DRM from any books I buy, I don't want to bother with registering a reader and having to connect it to the bookstore via WiFi or the computer.

For example, I've had 3 different Sony readers, and after the first one, I never bothered to register them with Sony. I move liberated ebooks to it or an SD card using Calibre.

I was at B&N looking at a Touch Glow. But the person in the store said you can not use it until it's registered - and the registration HAS to be completed via WiFi.

I was looking on Kobo's page about its Glo, and it reads the same, except it must be done via USB cable (you have to set it up using the Reader Desktop software?) Is that true, or do they just say that because they assume everyone wants/needs to register? Does anyone use their Kobo by sideloading DRM-free books exclusively without ever registering it or connecting to the Kobo servers?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo Glo can be set-up using WiFi or via the USB cable and the Kobo desktop app. You need to register it, then it downloads the latest firmware and installs that. After that, you can turn the WiFi off and never connect again unless you want to update the firmware.

Most of my books are sideloaded. For at least the first six months, this was the only way I put books on the device except a couple of free books from Kobo to see how that worked. But, I have been buying books from the Kobo shop recently. It is convenient and with the promo codes that are around, it is usually cheaper than other shops. They supply both their own kepub format that can download over WiFi, or Adobe ePub that you can handle yourself.

There is some info in the Kobo forum about sidestepping the registration process, but I haven't tried it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't want all the social-networking crap downloaded to it, if at all possible.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The social networking stuff is part of the firmware. But, you have to login to a facebook account to use it. I have never done that. And it isn't intrusive.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I have not registered my Sony T2. I have 100% of my current reads sideloaded onto a microsd card from Calibre.

I love the freedom. Since my master library is on Calibre, it just makes sense that my e-reader simply be a book-storage and book-reader unit rather than a 'bookshop' and social networking device.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The social networking stuff is part of the firmware. But, you have to login to a facebook account to use it. I have never done that. And it isn't intrusive.
Exactly, and you can disable the Reading Life part and the awards altogether from the settings So nothing goes to Facebook and nothing pops up (in the bottom of the screen).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

I was at B&N looking at a Touch Glow. But the person in the store said you can not use it until it's registered - and the registration HAS to be completed via WiFi.

You can skip the registration on the Nooks but people who have done so often report high battery drain. And if you do decide to register, you can skip the step that asks for credit card information and just leave wi-fi off the rest of the time, which is nice. If you want firmware updates, those can be sideloaded.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #8
FizzyWater

Thanks, all!