Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #151
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
^^^ I'm so jealous. Can you sort by title, author, release date as well?
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #152
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
^^^ I'm so jealous. Can you sort by title, author, release date as well?
Yep. It's fixed on the READS site which is the Tennessee's Overdrive Library site. The one site is for the entire state.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #153
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
1. Request: Return to old Cart system. JD Gumby, Blossom, DianNC
Can I get in on this one too? I use the cart all the time. Shoot, if I'm out in a real store I like to put things in my buggy and roll them around the store before I really buy them. Of course I want to do the same thing at the library!!

Quote:
2. Request: Bring back list view, both when browsing and in the Wish List. 4691mls
3. Request: Include more info on initial displays, perhaps through hover pop-up. 4691mls, Blossom
I'll second, these too!

Quote:
5. Request: Provide option to switch to classic view. xendula, others
That would be the best choice! Have a mobile choice, and a classic choice. I've always thought the library sites were very nice. Guess I'm missing something in why they are being changed. But, I don't have a tablet either. Maybe that makes the difference?
I do appreciate Overdrive actually listening to us though, For many of us libraries are the only way we get audio and ebooks.
Thank you!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #154
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I do occasionally visit the Overdrive mobile site via my Sony reader. Last time checked, a few days ago, it had not changed. I hope it won't. I wouldn't want the thumbnail view on the mobile site, either.

A lot of stores allow a choice between thumbnail and list views - it would be nice if Overdrive allowed this choice also.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #155
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Can I get in on this one too? I use the cart all the time. Shoot, if I'm out in a real store I like to put things in my buggy and roll them around the store before I really buy them. Of course I want to do the same thing at the library!!
Technically, the cart is gone, but you can still borrow a book and leave it on your 'Bookshelf'. It won't count against your checkout limit until you download it. Simply click the 'Return' button if you decide it's not something you want to read.
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #156
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Technically, the cart is gone, but you can still borrow a book and leave it on your 'Bookshelf'. It won't count against your checkout limit until you download it. Simply click the 'Return' button if you decide it's not something you want to read.
Actually it does take up a slot the minute you hit the borrow button. Your count on the right goes down. It's just you can return it without worrying about ADE lockout if not downloaded.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #157
DianNC
Banned

^^^ And what's even stranger is that when I switched over to the mobile site version and checked my Bookshelf, the new book didn't show up at all and wasn't counted against my checkout limit.

There are obviously quite a few bugs that need to be worked on and I suppose that's to be expected with any new redesign roll-out.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #158
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Mike,
Thank you so much for passing our complaints/suggestions on to Overdrive, and als for the work-around to your app (though, ideally, your app would warn me that kindle books are incompatible but still let me check them out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@OverDrive View Post

14. Question: Why are many recent eBooks not available in Kindle format? xendula

Can you provide a specific example? Could be a variety of reasons.
I do not know which publishers are the worst offenders, but below is an excerpt from Brooklyn Library to my inquiry, emphasis mine:

Quote:
Thank you for writing to the Brooklyn Public Library and for sharing your concerns about the decreasing number of new ebook titles being released in the Kindle format on our main ebook site. *This is a concern of ours as well. *We in no way would purposely phase out Kindle content from our ebook collection. *Currently, Overdrive Inc. is the only ebook vendor who provides any popular reading Kindle content to public libraries. *The decision to offer Kindle format to public libraries is one made by each publisher, and we have noticed that some publishers do so on a title by title basis. *As an experiment, I looked in our ebook catalog at all the titles released from one publisher so far this month. *Of the 141 titles, only 8 were offered in Kindle format--quite unsettling.

I can assure you that we will continue to raise this as an issue with Overdrive, publishers, and authors.
Could you please raise this concern with publishers and let them know that they are on notice and will end up losing customers quickly for their inflexibility. I already stopped purchasing Penguin books a year ago, and publishers discriminating against Kindle using patrons will be next on my list. Is there anything else Overdrive can do to help in this respect? And, do you have any metrics of ePub vs. kindle eborrowing when both formats are available? I would be very interested in them.

Thanks again, Mike!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #159
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I just check READS and most new titles are available in Kindle. So I wonder why Brooklyn is having that problem.

The Audiobook sort on READS isn't working. I can't figure out what new Audio books were just added tonight.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #160
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just check READS and most new titles are available in Kindle. So I wonder why Brooklyn is having that problem.

The Audiobook sort on READS isn't working. I can't figure out what new Audio books were just added tonight.
It's a bit strange and I only noticed it very recently, so it may be a new trend.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #161
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
It's a bit strange and I only noticed it very recently, so it may be a new trend.
My library added several titles tonight. Almost all have Kindle versions.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #162
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
I've seen others complaining about it on another forum. You are not alone.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #163
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My library added several titles tonight. Almost all have Kindle versions.
When you browse for the last 10 and 20 added to the Brooklyn site,
0/10 and 7/20 are Kindle in Fantasy & SciFi
4/10 and 9/20 are Kindle in Romance
1/10 and 5/20 are Kindle in all fiction

Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #164
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
When you browse for the last 10 and 20 added to the Brooklyn site,
0/10 and 7/20 are Kindle in Fantasy & SciFi
4/10 and 9/20 are Kindle in Romance
1/10 and 5/20 are Kindle in all fiction

Another casualty in the war between big publishers and Amazon.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #165
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
One thing I miss from the old design was the ability to search for "add to cart" on my Wish List. I create a much longer Wish List than I'll probably ever be able to read, figuring that a small percentage of them might actually be available.

Having to scrutinize each book cover for that tiny little gray open book to see if it's available greatly slows down my search.

Maybe you could add "available now" to the Wishlist filters?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote