Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
paula-t
paula-t began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
What children can do with an Edge. Amazing.

I have commented on my 9-years old daughter's activities with my EE, which she learned how to use in... about... three hours. (Android-wise young generation.)

She saw in the Edge a potential for her schooling and Math revising. So she asked me if she could borrow it for a couple of hours. And I let her take it.

What she did, on the eve of a "complicated" Maths exam about multiplication is the following:

- She opened a new Journal on the e-ink side.
- She opened Wikipedia in the tablet side and searched for the multiplication tables and formulas.
- She wrote by hand (and by heart) the tables in the Journal, checking in the Wiki when she was in doubt (11 times 9 can be difficult, you know).
- After she finished and had all the tables handwritten, she opened the Audio Recorder, and using her best "voice talent" abilities, recorded in a very funny way the whole Math Mantra Recitation. This was partly a game, as she was obviously mimicking her Math teacher.
- Then she wrote for her own sake several math operations in the Journal and did her own exercises while she was listening aloud her own recording as a background for memorizing.

She hates studying math, and in this way she enjoyed it very much, because it was all her own "multimedia production".

As she got an A and was very encouraged by the results, then she used a similar method to revise for a Natural Science exam about magnetism.

She rehearsed her long oral presentation by recording it, while reading her own checklist in the Journal with the contents. Then she listened to it critically, to improve the poor parts and brush-up her own speech.

(While I also listened to her, in the next room, I happened to find out that "imán" in Spanish ("magnet") came from the French "aimant", which means "lovers", as the magnet and the iron stick together and do not separate. And I also came to know that "magnet" came from the ancient city Magnesia, where magnetic properties were first observed in stones.)

She also got an A.

So now she is very excited with this Edge-based approach to her elementary school routines, combining internet search, handwritten notes and audio-recording for rehearsing and learning.

She says she likes to do it with the Edge better than in the computer, because "it feels like a book and I love it".

I think it is a pity that the Edge has not been more spread among schools.
While I use it for my own Ph.D. project, and I see many high-school or college students find it helpful in the context of their studies, the experience with my little daughter has made me see that Elementary School children also find an interest in the Edge as a tool for their learning, and it is very easy for them to use it.

Sad to think the "book" concept will probably disappear... Someone said the Edge was not "sexy", but I find books sexier, in their own way, than flat slates. (Is this sick or something?)
paula-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Great story!
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Sjarrel
The Trying Dutchman
Sjarrel began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
Nice story paula-t. Love it. (I think your daughter deserves the eDGe. You can do without, she has the future.)
Sjarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
Love your story and hope everyone can share their experience of using edge, which can give the rest of us more inspiration about how to creatively use it.
thinredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
North19
Enthusiast
North19 began at the beginning.

Device: entourage eDGe, pocket eDGe, kindle
My sons (older just turned eight, younger is almost six) have similarly adjusted to Android in an hour or two. What I love most about how kids master computers is that they seem able to let go of expectations about what will work or happen when you press a button, and they have little fear of messing things up. Mine just explore.

My younger one mainly plays games on the PE: Simon Tatham's Puzzles (which is my fave edge app) and Frozen Bubbles.

My older one liked the PE so much I picked up one through amazon listed (I'm sure incorrectly) for $39.95 the night before they removed the edge listings! I saw it and clicked it within five minutes of its listing, which I know only because five minutes before I'd been browsing a $150 listing and wanted to go back and check it again--and there was the mistake. My guess is it was supposed to go in at $399. I was pretty psyched, though until it arrived I was afraid they'd send me a edge case or one so badly used it wasn't working.

Anyway, once he had his own, he discovered the audio recorder on his own; he has written "books" with illustrations in the journal, and recorded songs and stores in the Audio Recorder. I just got a voice changer app through amazon that he's using to change his voice to sound like a robot or a chipmunk or play it backwards.

He also found and watched the help videos and read the help file on his own, and used that to explore more. He can run the reader and the browser, and he figured out how to change the wallpaper on either screen, and then went out and downloaded images he liked to use as wallpaper.

Oh, and he's taken pics and made "movies" with the camera, all without any assistance from me.

I need to go out and buy him a mini-SD card before he runs out of space as these multimedia files are going to add up.

Last edited by North19; 06-10-2011 at 12:24 PM.
North19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Very cool.

Have you shown your daughter Khan Academy yet? Esp.:

http://www.khanacademy.org/exercisedashboard

I'm hoping to get my kids to earn one achievement a day for all of summer vacation....

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I was intrigued by North19's mention of Simon Tatham's Puzzles. In case anyone else is looking for the app, I found it here: http://www.freewarelovers.com/androi...athams-puzzles.

Looks like fun!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Thanks for the Puzzle app and link, you two. I love puzzles. I'll try installing it later today.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Wow. Leave it to today's high tech children to be so creative. Maybe if your daughter is not busy she could come and teach me a thing or two about the Edge, or the remote control for my TV. You know how us older folks are with all this technology, which is second nature to the younger generation. What a great story.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote