Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #31
iq6000
Enthusiast
iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: ECO Reader, iPhone
*sigh
those of us who like reading are into communication too - after all that is what the written word IS!
I have found Calibre confusing too, but there is no way I would say anything so rude without doing a heap of research first and feeling completely justified in what I say.
I have only been playing with Calibre for about a week - I am gradually getting my head around it.
I reckon if you want software with a fantastic user interface which is flexible enough for just about anybody to use via intuition - well you have to expect to pay money for that.
Anything which is free should require some effort to understand and use. Unless of course you are prepared to enter into a co-operative relationship with the developer to write further support documentation - but - ummm - isn't that what this forum is for?
The support documentation from Calibre SAYS to use this forum. For support, right? Not for complaints. Definitely not for diatribes!!!
At the moment I am torn between learning more about Calibre and actually reading books on my eReader!!
I think the reading will be winning - soon
Angela
iq6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
There, I fixed that for ya. You get the credit too.

Your very good questions helped the morphing. I gave out a day's worth of Karma trying to combat the stench of rudeness and even that wasn't enough. This is what communities are supposed to do - turn the bad into something good for everyone. (Which is why cities build playgrounds in gangbanger territory. But they mean well.)
Isn't that the truth!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #33
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
My friends are, well, startled when they pick up my iPod and see that I have 105 different genres.
Are we related?

I'm pretty sure JRMcClure is a Simpson's character. Isn't he that actor that is always endorsing things on that show?
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #34
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
For heaven's sake, it is a free program!

Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #35
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I love Calibre, it's my eBookshelf.

I'm silly, I even scour the web for better covers or even design my own. I haven't used it as much for news content though.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 01:25 AM   #36
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Are we related?
It's possible! Much of my family on both sides came from around the MD/VA/WV area, and my female ancestors were pretty wild.

I even have a genre prefix system, since the mp3 specification won't bend to my will.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure JRMcClure is a Simpson's character. Isn't he that actor that is always endorsing things on that show?
The name did sound familiar. But then my mind switched to "Who shot JR?" and I never got any further than that. But I think the Simpsons character was Troy McClure.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #37
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'm silly, I even scour the web for better covers or even design my own.
Well, if you're silly then so am I. I've spent entirely too much time getting "just the right" book cover, despite the fact that I rarely even see the covers except when working in Calibre. I haven't made my own yet for the missing ones, but that's only because it's hard using Gimp on this laptop. For now I've been using the ones that Calibre generates if I can't find one on the internet.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #38
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's possible! Much of my family on both sides came from around the MD/VA/WV area, and my female ancestors were pretty wild.

I even have a genre prefix system, since the mp3 specification won't bend to my will.

The name did sound familiar. But then my mind switched to "Who shot JR?" and I never got any further than that. But I think the Simpsons character was Troy McClure.

Really?? That's interesting because my family originates from Fairmont, WV and Rockville, MD.

@ the genre prefix system. I completely understand!

Oh, you are right about Troy McClure. Now that I hear the name I recognize it for sure.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 AM   #39
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Really?? That's interesting because my family originates from Fairmont, WV and Rockville, MD.
We had a bunch primarily in the Baltimore County area, some in southern VA, a bunch in northern WV/VA near the line, and I think some in southern WV. I haven't been able to narrow it down any further than that. I gave up when I realized how often the bloodline deviates from the paper trail. When people ask me why I don't have any kids, I tell them that the family tree ran out of available branches.

Quote:
@ the genre prefix system. I completely understand!
Then you probably also understand why my roommate's iPod makes me scream in frustration. He has thousands of songs and only uses a handful of genres. He also doesn't edit the titles of "Greatest Hits" and such to differentiate them. I know it totally works for him, I get that, but whenever his iPod is in the living room speaker dock I'm just itching to "fix it" for him. But I don't, because he's my best friend and that would be a crappy thing to end a friendship over.

Darn I'm chatty tonight. I need to go to bed.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 AM   #40
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I am a sad puppy. I'm not the rudest person on MobileRead anymore. Seriously, how did that guy ever get sand there?

I think we can all agree that the OP is an ignoramus, a moron, and a troll. However, I'd like to remind people that if anyone has legitimate calibre questions, instead of frothing, spittle-blowing, vaguely incoherent rants, please bring them over to the calibre forum. It's full of nice people who are happy to help out (and me). There are few if any calibre problems, or problems that might be solved by the use of calibre, that someone there can't pop out an answer for. The calibre forum is right down the list a bit, suitably named.

As for the OP ... when I found that it was "ebook library management" that he couldn't understand, I was reminded of the story that ends "...and send it back. You're not smart enough to own a computer." If someone doesn't know what an ebook library is, or why one might want to manage it, I have to question that person's ability to read ebooks at all.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:17 AM   #41
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Quote:
Then you probably also understand why my roommate's iPod makes me scream in frustration. He has thousands of songs and only uses a handful of genres. He also doesn't edit the titles of "Greatest Hits" and such to differentiate them.
I do understand. I used to organize my kids' computers until they got old enough to password protect me out of them.

I have lived like this so long now that I have learned to not look at things I know are going to haunt me.

And, I really don't feel bad about hijacking this thread since the OP is rude and obnoxious anyway.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #42
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
As the OP joined with the self-specified intent in their first post of contradicting MobileRead Guidelines, the Moderator team have elected to ban them. We've also moved it to the Calibre forum.

We thank you for the several Reports we received from you, and the predominant degree of restraint shown in-thread.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 01-02-2011 at 03:54 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #43
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
As the OP joined with the self-specified intent in their first post of contradicting MobileRead Guidelines, the Moderator team have elected to ban them. We've also moved it to the Calibre forum.

We thank you for the several Reports we received from you, and the predominant degree of restraint shown in-thread.

Cheers,
Marc
Curious. The OP was banned but the thread continues.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #44
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
It reminds me of the old song about a song that never ends, it goes on and on my friends... substitute "thread" for "song" and "reading" for "singing" and there ya go!
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #45
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
The thread, as someone pointed out, had somewhat evolved into one in which information on and help with calibre were being offered and discussed by MR folk. We didn't want to take away from that by closing off that development, and have have moved it to the calibre forum in line with that.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote