Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #286
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhatbrat View Post
That's me, too. I love the e-ink. My eyes don't get tired at all. But with the LCD (such as my laptop) my eyes really do feel it.
Please, stop comparing a LCD reader with a LCD laptop! You cannot compare those two! It's like comparing watching a movie from a smartphone to watching that same movie at a cinema!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:24 AM   #287
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Please, stop comparing a LCD reader with a LCD laptop! You cannot compare those two! It's like comparing watching a movie from a smartphone to watching that same movie at a cinema!
I agree they are two different animals...I can read better on the laptop than an LCD Reader/Tablet.

I've been on the fence for a while with the new Nook Color, and even after looking at it in the store, it bothered my eyes...BUT it wasn't nearly as bad as the Cruz that I tried. I think though, that if I read in bed, I'm going to use my phone, my Droid X has a 4.3" screen and Adliko is working well. I just have to make sure I keep the same books on my Nook eInk and Phone.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 04:26 AM   #288
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I am not certain that demoing a product for a few minutes in the store is the best way to select a reader.

I've had an eInk reader for a while now, and a couple of months ago I got an iPad. At first, I enjoyed reading on the iPad: the presentation of the page within iBooks is very pleasant, I have always preferred touch to buttons, and PDFs are a bit easier to maneuver in on the faster iPad, than on the Kindle DX (or god forbid, on the Kindle 2).

But after about 6 weeks of reading on the iPad on average 2-4 hours a night, I noticed that it started affecting my eyes. Driving at night was a little fuzzier all of a sudden.

So I ordered Kindle DX Graphites for myself and my significant other to replace the gen 2 Kindles we had, and now I am convinced that for regular reading, LCD is simply not as good as eInk.
My experience is the same. I do read a lot on LCDs, my computer and my phone, but in the end I prefer e-ink when I can. I guess I will have to wait for the next generation, for what comes after LCDs in color technology to get the same level of comfort. Not trying to convince anyone, that is just how I (especially my eyes) feel. And yes, don't forget battery life. But all of this is a very personal decision and I am quite surprised at all the emotions invested in defending either technology here.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #289
esquire415
Enthusiast
esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 7" Notion Ink Adam
It would be nice to have a light gray text on dark gray background for an LCD as the default. I read a lot of stuff on the internet and i've been having eye strain daily. I can't wait for the Mirasol or Liquavista display to replace LCD. Right now closest to e-ink that you can get with the capability of LCD is the hybrid 3qi display from Pixel Qi. I believe you can replace your old laptop and retrofit it with their screen. The only other device that has that screen is the Notion Ink Adam tablet which will be available next month. The Innoversal Lattice will also have the Pixel Qi but they will come out later.
esquire415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #290
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Good point. It may SEEM logical that an lcd ebook reader would read like an LCD computer monitor -- but I can attest that in practice, they are NOT the same.

It also indicates that reading on computers could have been made better long ago if someone had thought to add brightness control to the reader apps/browser -- and an easy ability to control the margins.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #291
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It also indicates that reading on computers could have been made better long ago if someone had thought to add brightness control to the reader apps/browser -- and an easy ability to control the margins.
You do have brightness and contrast control on the monitor.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote