Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I keep around 300-400 books on the reader. Not sure exactly how many, cause in the new update as far as I can see, the Kobo doesn't say how many there are. I only do it cause I can. It's cool to have hundreds of books on the device to read whenever I want without having to constantly delete or load new ones on there.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I keep my entire library on my Nook Simple Touch's microSD card, but it's nearly full. I have a bunch of freebies that I really doubt that I will ever read, so I might just move them to a separate catalog and purge them from the Nook. I was flying home from a convention today, and started reading something that I wasn't planning to read this week. If I only kept the books I was planning on reading when I left for the convention, I wouldn't have been able to do that. On the other hand, I have so many books on my NST, I sometimes find it hard to make a decision on what I'm going to start reading next.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm in the minority too. I only ever have a handful of ebooks on my devices at any given time. I'd explain why, but I don't think it's really all that relevant to anyone but me.
Me, either. I typically have 1-3 novels on it, and 20+ reference books that stay there permanently. The novels I replace when I have read them.

This is mostly because of the reader's software. It's easier for me to organize stuff in Calibre.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #19
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
I don't understand the question.

Whyever would you not store your whole collection on your reader? SD cards are cheap as chips and where's the drawback in having all your books to hand, rather than just some of them?
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #20
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I keep everything in long-term storage on a hard drive and on CDs, but I also have everything on a 2GB SD card in my ereader.

Many (most?) of my ebooks are really short stories, and I like being able to pick something spontaneously when I'm going to be tied up briefly. For instance, I'm driving my folks to doctors' appointments next Tuesday and Wednesday, and I'll be waiting in the office to bring them home. It (probably) won't be enough time to put a dent in a novel, but I should be able to enjoy a few short stories. And, right now, I have no idea which ones will appeal to me.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #21
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I am trying to save some for my deathbed
Helen
A kindred spirit! I thought I was the only one who does this. I will probably go out in a fiery crash and never get to read them, so maybe I should read all the good stuff now, just in case. Thanks. You made me smile.

i
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #22
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If I was able to predict which books I will want to read tomorrow, let alone in a few weeks, then I would have no problem with keeping just a few books at a time on my reader. Since that is impossible, the next best option is to keep every book I own on my reader. Luckily that is an easy, cheap and reliable option.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #23
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I'm in the minority too I keep between 10 and 15 books on my ereaders.
And I have an audio player with small storage for the same reasons.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #24
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I buy book when i need a book to read, so, i don't have THAT many books, and no reason to sort them. So all of them are on my cybook.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #25
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I'm in the "minority" too. I find that calibre is a better way to organize and find books, so I try to keep the reader clutter free. Now if there was a way to stick books on the reader yet hide them from the ereader's software, I'd do that to maintain a backup.

(Also, my entire collection of ebooks is rather small. I'd rather let Project Gutenberg manage my library of public domain books and there is no point in keeping expired library books. The number of books that I actually purchase is relatively small.)
Old 09-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #26
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
When I buy a book on Amazon, it appears on my Kindle.

I am lazy.

(Actually, I do tend to delete them when read, but that's pretty much the whole of my interaction with the kindle ecosystem. For my epub devices I do manage them through calibre and don't put everything on the device.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #27
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm in the "minority" too. I find that calibre is a better way to organize and find books, so I try to keep the reader clutter free. Now if there was a way to stick books on the reader yet hide them from the ereader's software, I'd do that to maintain a backup.

(Also, my entire collection of ebooks is rather small. I'd rather let Project Gutenberg manage my library of public domain books and there is no point in keeping expired library books. The number of books that I actually purchase is relatively small.)
Kobo has introduced this kind of feature earlier this year. Now there is an "archive" option. Maybe Sony has introduced it in the new firmware. Or will do it in the next one
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #28
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
I have 2900 Ebooks on my Sony Reader PRS T1. And it works well. Why i do this?
First i have an Backup of all my book on my Reader. Second i have all my library with me. Yes i can look in Calibre for an ebook to read. But i don't have to transfer it to my Sony before reading.

Quote:
I'd rather let Project Gutenberg manage my library of public domain books and there is no point in keeping expired library books. The number of books that I actually purchase is relatively small.)
I don't like the "ebooks" in the Project Gutenberg. There are no cover and rather nasty formatting. There just good to make ebooks of it. I prefer mobileread, for real ebooks. But i also store my favourite plublic domain on my calibre and reader. For on i sometime make some changes on the books, for second i wanna my books with even with no internet at all.

Last edited by samy2; 09-06-2013 at 05:49 AM.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #29
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:

The simple, widely used method to keeping your home page clutter free iwould be the basic folder system. The home page would only have your current book and a few TBR books and a few genre folders. Each genre folder would have Author and or series Folders which would have your books. Very quck and simple to find the book you are looking for even if you have a few thousand books in your collection. Why such a simple, computer standard system has not been implimented is beyond me. Even my emails are organized that way.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #30
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I have all my thousands of books on a 32GB MicroSd card that is always in my reader. Two reasons:
1. Backup. If my house burns down with all computers and disks included while I'm away at least i still my books.
2. Optimal choice. Whatever I want to read next, it's there.

One of the reasons why I bought an Onyx reader first and then later a PocketBook is that these readers do not slow down with a large number of books on them.
Zetmolm is online now   Reply With Quote