Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Nook HD and HD+ now officially supported by CyanogenMod

Itching to make the most of your Nook HD reader? You're in luck: Both, the Nook HD and the Nook HD+ are now officially supported by the CyanogenMod team. The compiled firmware isn't available yet at the time of writing, but meanwhile, feel free to take a look at the freshly uploaded sources:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...bn_hummingbird
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...ice_bn_ovation

Remember: Custom flashing and rooting your Android device is not for the faint of heart. Remember to read, read, read before you make the attempt.

[related: How can I root my Nook HD+ via microSD card?, via Android Police]

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-04-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Hui Neng
Ebookreader
Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Nook Simple Touch - Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Itching to make the most of your Nook HD reader? You're in luck: Both, the Nook HD and the Nook HD+ are

Remember: Custom flashing and rooting your Android device is not for the faint of heart. Remember to read, read, read before you make the attempt.
There are other/better options: I used the software from androidfornook.com(there are two other companies as well offering similar software), paid $ 9.95, created a sd-card and have all the options - without the hassles and voiding the warranty.
Hui Neng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Sound advice, but "not for the faint of heart" is a bit of a stretch. At the root of it, all you have to do is image an SD card and boot the device with the SD card inserted - not rocket science.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Sound advice, but "not for the faint of heart" is a bit of a stretch. At the root of it, all you have to do is image an SD card and boot the device with the SD card inserted - not rocket science.
That easy? I didn't know. I have flashed a couple of Android devices before (Samsung Galaxy S2 + S3, Galaxy Tab, Nexus 7), and it usually involved several steps, including unlocking the bootlocker first, making backups, and so on.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
That easy? I didn't know. I have flashed a couple of Android devices before (Samsung Galaxy S2 + S3, Galaxy Tab, Nexus 7), and it usually involved several steps, including unlocking the bootlocker first, making backups, and so on.
That's the gist of it. Once you boot with the SD card you have to flash 2 files, but the process is very simple and the instructions on XDA are very well laid out.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui Neng View Post
There are other/better options: I used the software from androidfornook.com(there are two other companies as well offering similar software), paid $ 9.95, created a sd-card and have all the options - without the hassles and voiding the warranty.
Such software is distributed for free by its original developers: see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2300132 or http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2087988. There is no need to pay for middlemen's repackaging.

Last edited by livramax; 08-04-2013 at 04:02 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
snoozer
Connoisseur
snoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation, Lenovo c330 Chromebook
Follow livramax's links. I have never done anything like this & had my Nook HD converted in about 20 minutes and have been running this mod for over a month, trouble free, seems like tablet is faster & I am seeing longer battery life. If you read & follow the instructions you can easily revert back to stock setup. I myself would not pay for something that can be done for free.
snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Yep.. HD+ now running CyanogenMod in about 15 or 20 minutes. So far runs great and I've got an HD on the way and it too will probably be flashed. Really quite easy.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Yeah, but for some of us, we've never "imaged an SD card" in our lives, and have no idea of how that works. I worry a lot about stuff like this, because my PC is not fully reliable and frequently hangs up, freezes or blue screens. I'm not sure how well it would handle any lengthy writing to an SD card.

I'm considering the AFN card for my first root experience. I'm also thinking of trying to make my own card, since that's clearly cheapest, but it's definitely way outside my comfort zone, to be sure! And I'd bet I'm not the only senior citizen who is a little intimidated by this stuff, even though I have reasonable computer skills.

It's like the whole lingo of rooting is a foreign language!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Yeah, but for some of us, we've never "imaged an SD card" in our lives, and have no idea of how that works. I worry a lot about stuff like this, because my PC is not fully reliable and frequently hangs up, freezes or blue screens. I'm not sure how well it would handle any lengthy writing to an SD card.
What's the worst that could happen? The SD card isn't written correctly and it doesn't boot. Neither you or your Nook is worse off. And if your PC is that bad off, you should be looking for a replacement. As much as I bitch about Microsoft, no system should be hanging, freezing or blue screens.

I used this to install. One 4GB boot disk. Three files copied to to boot disk. About 20 minutes top to backup and install.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think burning an SD image is even less complicated than burning a music CD or home video DVD.
Quote:
I'm considering the AFN card for my first root experience. I'm also thinking of trying to make my own card, since that's clearly cheapest,
Since HD+ is a relatively new tablet, custom ROMs for the device are still maturing, hence you'd find that you'll need to update your ROM SD card every so often, and interestingly the process of updating a pre-made card is even more involved than that of creating a DIY card from scratch (or updating a DIY card subsequently). So the purported convenience of buying a pre-made card is really kind of a scam.

Last edited by livramax; 08-04-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #12
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
I think burning an SD image is even less complicated than burning a music CD or home video DVD.

Since HD+ is a relatively new tablet, custom ROMs for the device are still maturing, hence you'd find that you'll need to update your ROM SD card every so often, and interestingly the process of updating a pre-made card is even more involved than that of creating a DIY card from scratch (or updating a DIY card subsequently). So the purported convenience of buying a pre-made card is really kind of a scam.
Yes, that I had already read. I may yet give it a try. Although, I think the AFN offers upgrades for a year.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #13
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Yeah, but for some of us, we've never "imaged an SD card" in our lives, and have no idea of how that works.
There are easy to follow instructions availabel

Quote:
I'm considering the AFN card for my first root experience. I'm also thinking of trying to make my own card, since that's clearly cheapest, but it's definitely way outside my comfort zone, to be sure!
If you are prepared to make your own card from what they are offering, make it with stuff from the original developers instead! Don't let them make money out of other people's work!

Quote:
It's like the whole lingo of rooting is a foreign language!
I know! But you don't have to learn a lot of it!

Having said all this, do you really NEED to do ANY of this now that you can use Google Play apps? I run my HD/HD+ as stock and am completely happy. I feel no need to use any other ROM for these devices. (I do root them, but "root" is not the same as running a different ROM. "Root" is gaining root access, taking control of what can be installed.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Although, I think the AFN offers upgrades for a year.
They do offer mail-in upgrade for a small fee $3, but you would still have to backup your apps/content before mailing it in, and restore them when you get the updated card back. Also, personally I would not mail back the card without erasing my personal info off the card.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Having said all this, do you really NEED to do ANY of this now that you can use Google Play apps? I run my HD/HD+ as stock and am completely happy. I feel no need to use any other ROM for these devices. (I do root them, but "root" is not the same as running a different ROM. "Root" is gaining root access, taking control of what can be installed.)
Exactly! We recently got our Nook HD & HD+ and no need to change the ROM. Haven't gained root access yet, though might do that so the kids can play a game that doesn't want to install. And it might be nice to have the Amazon app store on it, other than that, nothing I can't do on the stock interface.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote