Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #16
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
As much as I like my T1 I wouldn't risk even taking it out of the house I don't think that ones very durable at all, the older Sonys look pretty sturdy though.

I kind of want a sturdier one myself ideally with an easily changeable battery I really hate unchangeable ones because of the limited lifecycle and I've also had problems with reset buttons not working at all in the past.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #17
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Book Organization - I hated Kindle's collections interface, I preferred organization by folders.
That's the reason why i like cybooks. Folder view.

You need to be aware that moving off amazon means having to convert your books, or consider them lost.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #18
alyxie
Enthusiast
alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: none
Thanks everyone for the input so far. I think ultimately from this thread that I might be looking for a Sony even with the collections interface being not as good as I like. Second consideration would be BeBook.

My problem is that I did not even take my Kindle out of my bedroom much. I, however, did change the content of the hard drive twice a week and on the average I read at least two to three hours a day on weekdays and five to ten hours a day on weekends.

I think I might have totaled the hard drive.

@AnneT BeBook sounds great may research it. Is the battery removable?

@dakini Yes, in some ways I think they might not want to make a device with longevity in mind. Sometimes, I wonder if I should opt out for a tablet or just reading off a Samsung phone as my sister's Samsung phone is at least 4 years old.

@pdurrant I have knocked or dropped my Kindle once or twice over the years but always on the bed so it's mostly hard usage that broke it, maybe battery or hard drive.

@AnemicOak Great suggestion.

@gurion, RCR, Agama Sony looks more and more like my kind of e-reader.

@SweetPea I'll be considering the suggestions. Those seem viable.

@ProfCrash, susan_cassidy, jbcohen I think I'm a little burnt off the Kindle family for now.

@Rizla I'll keep that in mind.

@Teknikal I think that would be a factor for me as well since I'm a hard user.

@EowynCarter Yes, I'm already plotting a long Calibre session with my fanfics.

Last edited by alyxie; 12-16-2012 at 05:54 AM.
alyxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My Sony 505 was very durable (no damage after being accidentally "kicked" across airplane cabin), but battery life was down to a week or so after three years.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #20
alyxie
Enthusiast
alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
My Sony 505 was very durable (no damage after being accidentally "kicked" across airplane cabin), but battery life was down to a week or so after three years.

I think that's still pretty decent battery life. My Kindle had only that much when it died a frozen screen death.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #21
vbkun
Enthusiast
vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Maybe sony
There is the lucky factor too.

My sony prs-650 just, all of sudden, died after 1 year and 11 months.

I don't really remember when I had a product lasting so few time .-.
vbkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #22
alyxie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbkun View Post
There is the lucky factor too.

My sony prs-650 just, all of sudden, died after 1 year and 11 months.

I don't really remember when I had a product lasting so few time .-.
That is just ouch. Some electronics have a 3 year warranty. I wish e-readers came with them.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
kurt4999
kurt4999 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.kurt4999 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.kurt4999 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.kurt4999 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.kurt4999 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.kurt4999 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.kurt4999 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.kurt4999 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.kurt4999 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.kurt4999 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.kurt4999 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo (9month), Pyrus, Android phone
Do not try Kobo. Mine crashed after 6 month. Waiting for replacement for nearly two month the new one crashed after tree weeks.

Now I changed to pyrus it cannot be worse.
kurt4999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #24
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxie View Post
That is just ouch. Some electronics have a 3 year warranty. I wish e-readers came with them.
I have never seen any electronics come with longer than a 1 year warranty. IF they even have that. Most are just 90 days.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #25
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
For as much as people are not big fans of Amazon (I get it, big company, don't like the format, don't like the labor practices to name a few reasons) their customer service is top notch. Kindles are replaced quickly the vast majority of the time. People are offered a less expensive Kindle if their Kindle is out of warranty. Some people have even been offered free Kindles out of warranty (typically, people with multpile Kindles and who buy a ton of books).

I get that it is not the device for everyone and I get wanting to try something new. I suspect the day will come when I do the same thing. I have found my Kindles to be durable and the customer service excellent. I hate the Kindle App on the iPad and wish Amazon would build something decent, collections would be nice to have Amazon.

The reality is that the major e-readers all have pretty much the same features and survive for about the same amount of time. They have all had their issues when a new model is released. Kobo tends to have a bit more more problems with the software than the others but that seems to have been diminished.

Many people, myself included, are attached to a specific brand because it has worked well for us. You should buy a device that works best for you. For me, that is Amazon because my Kindles have worked great and I enjoy Amazon's customer service. For others, that is Sony or Nook or Kobo. (shrugs)

Buy what makes you happy.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #26
Ayla7
Connoisseur
Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
I have recently got an Onyx Boox i62HD, and I love it!! It has a high resolution pearl screen, it organizes the books in folders and the pdf management is very good. I use it for reading not only books, but also scientific papers, and it handles two-columns pdfs really well

I got it from ereader-store, as the guy of that store is very active in this forum and works improving the firmware.

[1] http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...oft-touch.html
Ayla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Sounds like the perfect fit for you
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #28
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
re: sony, the 650s are nice but they can die. One did on me after 14 months. I got a couple of backups from ebay very cheap. I never use the standby function because the weak point of the design is the power-button.

The 505s are very durable, but you may need to change the battery.

Don't know about other products. Maybe one of the smaller companies produce something designed to last more than a year or two.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #29
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
re: sony, the 650s are nice but they can die. One did on me after 14 months. I got a couple of backups from ebay very cheap. I never use the standby function because the weak point of the design is the power-button.
Sorry to barge in, but you made me curious. Was it all of a sudden, without forewarning?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #30
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Sorry to barge in, but you made me curious. Was it all of a sudden, without forewarning?
Yes. 14 months old and it went on the blink. To get it repaired would have cost me nearly the price of a new unit. The problem was with the power switch, which is part of the mobo. It seems the power-switch is flaky on the 650. Do a search on these forums and you will find many cases.

So these days, I never use the standy-by feature. Instead I simply turn off the touch-screen using prs+. Works fine. The bottom line is, use the power-switch as little as possible.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote