Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2009, 04:48 AM   #1
puremagic
puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Newbie here - couple of questions

Hi

I wanted a Sony 505 from when I first saw them advertised but they were out of stock so I thought I would wait till after Christmas as when I asked in store it would be Jan before they would get new stock.

Christmas Eve my partner gave me one xmas prezzie to open early, it was a joint present from her family and my dad.

I was so pleased with it and I love it to bits.

I got a voucher for Waterstones in the UK, but the Ebooks on there are more expensive than paper ones. Rather annoying when I can read 2-3 books a week.

I am going to read some of the classics, as I have never read any of them. I have got the Classic Books collection on my Nintendo Ds and love that they have Woman in White but it isn't on my sony.

I am not sure where is the best place to get Ebooks from and am confused about all the different formats. Having a quick scan on this site there are free books on here, which format do I need and do I just download them and import into my Ereader software.

Thanks in advance.

Sarah
puremagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
kougei
kougei began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Unfortunately, as you have found out the UK market and support for the Sony Reader is still immature and uneconomical

The solution is in here but requires :-

a) A small amount of computer literacy and/or determination to read through the forums here, ask for help and string information together

b) A 'relaxed' approach to using computer tools to 'strip' Digital Protection from titles you purchase, so they can be converted to Sony Reader format, which may or may not be technically illegal in the UK

My approach is as follows :-

1. I buy all books from www.fictionwise.com
2. I buy primarily MobiPocket or Microsoft Reader format
3. I use some 'tools' discussed in other topics to remove the DRM
4. I use Calibre to import, convert and load them to my Sony Reader

I found this all pretty straightforward, as I have a computing background, but I'm sure even some beginners have found the procedures straightforward with a little bit of effort. All the information you need is in the forums, and don't be scared to ask for help.
kougei is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Hi Sarah, welcome to MR! That's a great Christmas present, if I do say so myself.

The eBook formats that you can use with your Sony reader are: LRF, LRX (which is secure LRF), PDF, and ePub.

Besides Waterstones, there are other ebookstores which you can find listed at one of MR's Wiki pages:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

I think fictionwise.com and booksonboard.com are two of the favorites here.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by puremagic View Post
Having a quick scan on this site there are free books on here, which format do I need
Of the formats, I believe the one you'll be after here is the one marked as "Sony BBeB (LRF)" (You'll actually see the filenames have the extension ".lrf", as in "[bookname].lrf").

Unfortunately I can't help you with the software, as I have not seen it (I'd expect just opening the above files might automatically open them in the Sony software on your computer...but I'll let others fill those blanks in). Also, down the track, when you're gaining even more confidence, give the Calibre software a look at, as you may find it a useful alternative to the oft-criticised Sony software.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
jimmydee1984
jimmydee1984 began at the beginning.

Device: None
WH Smiths ebook site http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk/386487A2...en/Default.htm currently has a sale on where all ebooks are 1/2 price. They do a lot of epub formatted books that work with the Sony.

I would recommend Books On Board as well.
jimmydee1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
puremagic
puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the quick replies. I will re-read the replies and see if I can get my head round all the formats. I am ok with IT once I know what I am doing.

I didn't know WHS did Ebooks, I will look at that now, Books on Board is very good I read about that on the amazon sony review.

Thanks again for your help and I will post again once I have read this with no doubt more questions.

Cheers

Sarah
puremagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Sarah, another source for eBooks are public libraries. I've borrowed books in ADE from my local library. They're free and you get to keep them on your reader for 21 days at the end of which they disappear.

In the UK, the Essex public library offers eBooks on loan here (http://essex.bookaisle.com/CBEBC5EA-...ookFiction.htm)

Some US libraries allow non residents to borrow eBooks for a small price. Check out the Wiki on Libraries here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi Sarah

Concerning the eBooks here, you want the ones on this (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126) part of the forum.

Download the one(s) you want and to put them on your eBook reader: connect it to your computer with the usb cable that has come with it, open windows explorer (I ‘m assuming you are using windows), and copy the file(s) (something.lrf) to the folder for eBooks in the reader.

Note: the reader appears as 3 new drives in windows explorer when connected, in the first sequential one you will copy the file(s) into the folder \database\media\books (this is where all your eBooks are/should be).
Disconnect and, after a little, your new eBook(es) is(are) ready to be read.

I really advise you to browse here and you will find reading for really quite sometime before needing to spend a penny in commercial eBooks.

Of course, the need will come, and for sure, these forums will help you with all the answers to the questions you have and the ones you do not even know you will have.

Congrats for your new “toy” and enjoy your reading,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That was a very generous gift, but it's a shame about the gift card. Can you cash it in and use it at a less pricey bookshop? Or does Waterstones sell accessories? Sony covers and chargers are expensive, and maybe the gift card will cover some of that?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
jimmydee1984
jimmydee1984 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
That was a very generous gift, but it's a shame about the gift card. Can you cash it in and use it at a less pricey bookshop? Or does Waterstones sell accessories? Sony covers and chargers are expensive, and maybe the gift card will cover some of that?
Waterstones does sell Sony accessories. I've seen the leather cover, silicon (sp?) cover and a few other bits I can't remember in the two stores near me.
jimmydee1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
Roger Wilmut
Roger Wilmut
Roger Wilmut began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
No-one seems to have mentioned Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/

Literally thousands of books out-of-copyright books for free: there's a lot of Victorian stodge, but also most of the great classics: I'm currently reading 'War and Peace' (seriously).

Download them as plain text, and use Calibre to convert to LRF and upload them to the reader: works a treat.
Roger Wilmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Wilmut View Post
No-one seems to have mentioned Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/

Literally thousands of books out-of-copyright books for free: there's a lot of Victorian stodge, but also most of the great classics: I'm currently reading 'War and Peace' (seriously).

Download them as plain text, and use Calibre to convert to LRF and upload them to the reader: works a treat.
Or you could just download them from here, or other free booksites, already beautifully formatted for your device. Nothing against Gutenberg, but if you don't want to go thru all the bother........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
ericrosenfield
ericrosenfield began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iPod Touch
Gutenberg

I find that Project Gutenberg HTML files converted with Calibre look great on the Sony Reader.
ericrosenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrosenfield View Post
I find that Project Gutenberg HTML files converted with Calibre look great on the Sony Reader.
I'm generally against automatic conversions. You might as well read the plain text version.

I think nothing comes close to a conversion done by hand,
especially if the book has many chapters and subchapters.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
You might also want to checkout Baen and their Free Library. They have SF & fantasy books already in the LRF format.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote