Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Darker PDFs

Is there a setting to make PDFs appear with darker text. I just find it difficult to read a PDF when the main text is showing as light gray. I assume this is (or should be) a setting somewhere. If not can I do this in Calibre?
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
This is the result of the pdf being created using something other than pure black for text color. Some books use dark gray, and if text was in color it'll be mapped to some shade of gray on grayscale devices.

There is no control built in to the kindle ecosystem to adjust this. If you are creating the pdf, you can adjust the color of the source text. If you are dealing with an already created pdf, then you will need a pdf editor. The gold standard here is Adobe Acrobat (retail $300). For something a little cheaper the folks who do the free Nitro pdf reader also sell an affordable pdf editor.

You might be able to use Calibre, but it is primarily a format converter to/from pdf and other ebook formats. Experience with pdf's on Calibre has not been very good for anything other than the simplest of texts.

Hope this helps a bit. Amazon still has a ways to go on pdf handling.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info. I'll admit that a $300 PDF editor is out the question. I'm really just looking for something that can just make gray text into black text and do it free. It doesn't strike me as much to ask and I'm sure most folks with ereaders may have one or two PDFs they have acquired that might need this treatment.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I would re-process the pdf with the pdf editor, I think version 7 still had a "print color as black" option that was pretty handy. I don't know how to do it without this option...
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
ivanz
ivanz began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX Graphite
If the color is the problem you could possibly try to print the PDF to PDF via the free and open source PDFCreator "printer" driver and set the Color to Black and White or something.

But from my experience the reason why PDFs look crappy is because the kindle scales the page to fit the screen which in turn causes the text to loose "boldness".
ivanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

cheers - I'll try each method.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Tha ks from me too, any option of changing the font via acrobat or nitro?
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote