Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #676
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I think I saw sleepcover settings when I was poking around Aura. Can't you make a change there? It doesn't work?
I'm still waiting for the screen protector. As long as it doesn't bother me or ereader, it'll stay. I guess what bothered me was how will light react to smudges.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #677
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post

My only niggles are that when using the sleep cover the screen switches off after a little while, I can understand that is probably on purpose, to prevent battery drain when it opens when carrying around, but I wish you could switch it off or set the time longer. .
Apparently, if you have the sleep setting set to activate at a longer time (e.g. at one hour rather than 15 minutes) the behaviour you talk about happens after more time has elapsed. I have my sleep time set to never and don't experience this behaviour.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #678
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
Apparently, if you have the sleep setting set to activate at a longer time (e.g. at one hour rather than 15 minutes) the behaviour you talk about happens after more time has elapsed. I have my sleep time set to never and don't experience this behaviour.
Thank you! I've now set it to half an hour and now I can read the first page without either having to speed read or touch the screen.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #679
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I haven't read this thread for a while. Could someone tell me if there is now a fix to eliminate the wide margin on the top / bottom.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #680
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I haven't read this thread for a while. Could someone tell me if there is now a fix to eliminate the wide margin on the top / bottom.
There was an update that got rid of the large margin at the top. I haven't tried to see if it works with kepubs, though.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #681
tien
tien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi, I'm currently in the market for an e-reader and I'm deciding between the Aura HD and Paperwhite 2. So I have a question for you guys - does the Aura HD have anything like "Vocabulary Builder" the PW2 has? Or any way to quickly save a word and its definition (maybe making a custom vocabulary?)? Thanks.
tien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #682
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I don't think it does. That is a cool little feature!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #683
Alphabase
Alphabase is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo aura hd, Kobo Aura One
Nice eReader

Just thought I'd add my impressions.

Just picked up an Aura HD to replace a Kindle Keyboard.

The screen is very nice and I love the size. i find it comfortable to hold, not sure why so many comment on it's weight. Surely a real book weighs more?

I find the new Kindle paperwhite (my wife has one) has blacker blacks if that makes any sense.

I really like the Aura HD. Any recommendations on cases/sleaves?
Alphabase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #684
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabase View Post
Any recommendations on cases/sleaves?
I took out my Kindle Keyboard to transfer new books today and it was so depressing to handle the Octovo vintage leather case! The choices for the K3 were so satisfying and light compared to those for the Aura HD!

I can tell you this from experience: Do not buy the official Kobo case. In addition to being overpriced and fatally combining black with dark brown, the case's plastic back cover clones that of the HD itself. A cover should offer more grip than the naked device, yet the official cover doesn't.

The Noreve cases look lovely, and the selection of leather appears to be the best (I'm partial to "Ambition" (textured grain leather) in cobalt and "Exception" (suede) in sable, jean or mandarine vintage), but Mother of Scrod, they're expensive, and the fellow who actually bought one on MR remarked on their being a tad heavy and thick.

Because I have the Espresso AHD, I like this one in navy. A lot of people have liked this one as well, but my light blue case arrived damaged (I bought it on ebay, which was a mistake) and the color choices are a tad garish for me. If you like the available colors, then the solution to quality control seems to be to buy yours on Amazon.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-12-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #685
Alphabase
Alphabase is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo aura hd, Kobo Aura One
My Blackberry playbook neoprene sleeve is working for now. I love Noreve cases. I have bought them for many tablets/phones and my old Kindle keyboard. I think I want a sleeve this time though rather than have to deal with a flap when I read.
Alphabase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #686
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Recently I instaled Coolreader in my kobo mini, it works great and no problem with margins

ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #687
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Personally, I love the official Kobo sleepcover! (I do agree it is over priced.) I tried one of the cheap eBay ones and it just didn't feel as nice. The magnet was hard to open, clicked loudly on the bare metal when closed and worst of all, the magnet is raised above the plastic so it leaves a dent in my thumb when holding the reader. Gets uncomfortable very quickly!

I also had a very difficult time removing the eBay case from the reader after deciding I hated it, thought I might break the reader it was such a struggle! The official cover isn't easy to remove, but it was a picnic in comparison.

However, having picked up another used Aura HD on eBay for my husband, I went to Kobo looking for a cover and they aren't in stock. So I picked up something from Amazon, not an ultraslim style, but a bulkier slide-in type. Perhaps I'll consider getting a Noreve later if this doesn't do. Or perhaps Kobo will get the official cover back in stock.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #688
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm pretty happy with the Kobo official sleepcover, too, although I would rather have a brown cover to match my Espresso Aura HD. Prior to purchasing it I had used a Targus leather sleeve that I bought at Winners, but I'm much happier with a cover. I kept the sleeve, though, as a backup cover.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:26 AM   #689
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I'm pretty happy with the Kobo official sleepcover, too, although I would rather have a brown cover to match my Espresso Aura HD.
The problem with the espresso case is that it doesn't actually match the espresso reader. While the slick brown back cover is the same shade as the Espresso Aura HD, the front is black leather, which means you've still got black against brown, which I and many others consider to be a sartorial mismatch.

Additionally, I find the official reader to be flimsier as well as thinner than many alternatives. Official covers for Sony Readers seem never to have that issue; why do Kobo's?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #690
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
I'm also happy with the official sleepcover, except for the magnet that keeps it closed. I would have preferred a larger one, this one sometimes opens by itself in my bag. A larger magnet would have been a bit heavier but would have prevented this from happening.
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote