Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #76
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
And, yes, I very much want a month for Sci-Fi.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And, yes, I very much want a month for Sci-Fi.
(IMHO), non-fiction is best for a cold month where we want to stay in and read since a lot of good non-fiction is of large size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #78
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
I want to concentrate on getting non-fiction first. But I agree with you that Sci-Fi/Fantasy is an abomination. Those are two entirely different categories that draw two very different sets of readers. Might as well have a month for biography/romance or history/humor.
I like those categories!

The difficulty though is that we will only be choosing six more categories and there's a lot of competition. Both Science Fiction and Fantasy may win separate months, but you should ask yourself - If only one category between Science Fiction, Fantasy and Sci-Fi/Fantasy were to win a month, which one would you prefer? People who like both genres may prefer the combo category to only one of the two genres making it into the category line-up.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I want to concentrate on getting non-fiction first. But I agree with you that Sci-Fi/Fantasy is an abomination. Those are two entirely different categories that draw two very different sets of readers. Might as well have a month for biography/romance or history/humor.
You do have the power to terminate that abomination and it's invalid since Science Fiction and Fantasy were already taken.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I like those categories!

The difficulty though is that we will only be choosing six more categories and there's a lot of competition. Both Science Fiction and Fantasy may win separate months, but you should ask yourself - If only one category between Science Fiction, Fantasy and Sci-Fi/Fantasy were to win a month, which one would you prefer? People who like both genres may prefer the combo category to only one of the two genres making it into the category line-up.
By having Science Fiction/Fantasy, you limit things to ONLY books that fit in both. So your trying to help, actually makes things worse.
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #81
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
By having Science Fiction/Fantasy, you limit things to ONLY books that fit in both. So your trying to help, actually makes things worse.
That is not how I read it at all. I would interpret that as "Science Fiction OR Fantasy", not "Science Fiction AND Fantasy". No wonder you are so mad about that category. I would be too if I interpreted it that way.

I was thinking of nominating "biographies of comedians" or something to get a combined category though. Maybe next month (or never).
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #82
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
There's no reason it would need to be limited to something that could fit in both categories it could be either or. I'd prefer separate, but at the same time I'd also prefer a combo to nothing and they are genre's that right or wrong have been traditionally grouped by publishers, book stores, libraries and many readers. We already have a Mystery/Thriller combo and they aren't the same thing either.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
That is not how I read it at all. I would interpret that as "Science Fiction OR Fantasy", not "Science Fiction AND Fantasy". No wonder you are so mad about that category. I would be too if I interpreted it that way.
I read it as they don't overlap enough and people who prefer one over the other won't like that combined category. It's not helping. It could cause more problems if it was to win.

Quote:
I was thinking of nominating "biographies of comedians" or something to get a combined category though. Maybe next month (or never).
I was looking at some of my pBooks and came across a book I meant to read but have not yet. It's said to be a wonderful book and I would have nominated it for romance had it been available as an eBook. The book is Gracie: A Love Story by George Burns. I've not been able to read a bad review. They've been highly praising it. That book would fit your category very well. But it would fit in romance well too.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There's no reason it would need to be limited to something that could fit in both categories it could be either or. I'd prefer separate, but at the same time I'd also prefer a combo to nothing and they are genre's that right or wrong have been traditionally grouped by publishers, book stores, libraries and many readers. We already have a Mystery/Thriller combo and they aren't the same thing either.
And I think Mystery/Thriller is wrong too. So is Travel/Adventure. I'm not wanting to read a travelog. Adventure is just a poor (IMHO) category.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #85
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
And I think Mystery/Thriller is wrong too. So is Travel/Adventure. I'm not wanting to read a travelog. Adventure is just a poor (IMHO) category.
What's wrong with Adventure? Books such as The Count of Monte Cristo, Treasure Island, King Soloman's Mines are three great novels that spring to mind immediately that would fit this category.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #86
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...I was looking at some of my pBooks and came across a book I meant to read but have not yet. It's said to be a wonderful book and I would have nominated it for romance had it been available as an eBook. The book is Gracie: A Love Story by George Burns. I've not been able to read a bad review. They've been highly praising it. That book would fit your category very well. But it would fit in romance well too.
Now there's a book that looks interesting. I've been watching the old Burns and Allen Show on Antenna TV whenever I can and I love that show. They were a great team. Too bad there's no ebook. I just ordered a used hardback for $3.98.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #87
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Which is why I supported it. I would like to have both Fantasy & Science Fiction not one or the other.

Quote:
It is read as Fantasy OR Science Fiction. That has been said numerous times in this thread.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #88
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Nominations are closed, and the poll has been posted.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204162