Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Mapp and Lucia" books of E.F. Benson

I hope I may be forgiven for using this forum to announce that I've just uploaded a completely new and revised omnibus edition of the "Mapp and Lucia" stories of E.F. Benson to the MR library. These books, a gently humorous account of the back-stabbing social world of the English upper classes in the 1920s and 30s, are among my favourites, and I hope that other people enjoy them as much as I do.

As well as completely proofing and reformatting the omnibus, I've also added the short story "Desirable Residences" to it, which I scanned myself. I believe this is the first time this story has appeared in eBook format, so it's a must for all fans of Mapp and Lucia.

Please note that this omnibus is not in the public domain in the US, but is in all other "life+50" and "life+70" countries.

Enjoy!

Links: Mobi ePub
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thank you for this and thanks for including the two short stories in the omnibus
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for this HarryT. I don't know of the works or author, but it sounded like it could be a fun read.

Congratulations on completing another huge task.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for your hard work. I've read all these books several times over the years and have already purchased digital editions. Along with Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster books, they comprise my 'comfort' library. When life seems particularly difficult I drag them out along with my favorite blanket.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Thanks for another months-long effort.

And I see you're perfecting Jane Austen now!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. I hope you enjoy them .
Old 11-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for the generosity of your time and skill, Harry. I've just downloaded it. I've never read anything by E.F. Benson, but have always meant to.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I actually swapped out the cover, but I probably can't post what I ended up with as I slightly changed a pre-existing cover for the individual novel Mapp and Lucia.

It's one of the covers that shows them both at sea on an upturned table. Funny picture and seems to suit based on the description of the series.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
It's one of the covers that shows them both at sea on an upturned table. Funny picture and seems to suit based on the description of the series.
That's an episode in one of the novels.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Thanks for the generosity of your time and skill, Harry. I've just downloaded it. I've never read anything by E.F. Benson, but have always meant to.

Mike
I know that you enjoy P.G. Wodehouse, Mike, so I'm sure you'll enjoy this series of novels. It's a very similar style of humour.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
These are wonderfully droll funny works - if you've watched the PBS adaptations, you can "hear" the voices as you read.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
These are wonderfully droll funny works - if you've watched the PBS adaptations, you can "hear" the voices as you read.
I thought Prunella Scales was Mapp to the life, but I wasn't as fond of Geraldine MacEwen and Nigel Hawthorne as Lucia and Georgie. Georgie in particular; he was lacking his girly bitchy side that made him so much fun.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks for all your hard work, Harry. Based on issy's recommendation in another thread, I am currently enjoying reading these books very much indeed. I hadn't heard of them, or of the TV programme, so I'm very grateful to have been introduced to E F Benson. I'll finish my current book (Lucia in London) and then download your new version.

Thanks again!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Thanks for this, I love these books and will have to get your new editions. The new short story will be welcome too.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote