Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Facebook buys Instagram

For the Instagram die-hards, here's some news.

Quote:
Break out your Dr. Evil jokes, if you've got any left. Facebook just announced that it will be acquiring Instagram, the popular photo-sharing app and recent addition to the Play Store family, for a cool billion dollars. You read that right. With a "b". Billion. To answer all the critics who were wondering what's so cool about Instagram: a billion dollars.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
maybe i'm just a fuddy duddy but why would i want to make pictures taken from my several hundred dollar phone look like washed out polaroids? doesn't technology improve because we want things to look better?

i just find a lot of the 'retro chic' going on to be amusingly hypocritical. why do people spend a fortune if what they really want is old, cheap crap?
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
because the look of the old cheap crap taken from a $500 camera lasts longer than something actually taken on old cheap crap equipment
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
maybe i'm just a fuddy duddy but why would i want to make pictures taken from my several hundred dollar phone look like washed out polaroids? doesn't technology improve because we want things to look better?

i just find a lot of the 'retro chic' going on to be amusingly hypocritical. why do people spend a fortune if what they really want is old, cheap crap?
Same here. I don't use any of these "enhancing" apps (or facebook for that matter), but both seem to have quite a following. And for instagram, there have been alternatives for a long while, so I don't understand what the fuzz is about.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Maybe Facebook wants to be seen as investing money on something.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Instagram for Android hits 5 million downloads in six days

Quote:
There were many people waiting for Instagram to come to the Android platform. When the app finally landed for Android, it was understandably popular with 1 million downloads in its first day. The massive popularity of the app led the Facebook gobbling it up for $1 billion. The Android version of Instagram has now been available for six days.

So far, the first six days have seen the Android version downloaded 5 million times. That means the app’s popularity has yet to wane. The 5 million downloads in six days makes Instagram one of the most popular Android app launches of all time. For comparison, it took the iOS Instagram app about six months to reach the 5 million download mark.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's a lot of downloads. And, of course, then there's the cries of all the people whining that Instagram came out on Android. Those were some funny things to read.
http://www.webpronews.com/iphone-use...nloads-2012-04
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post

I guess I am a fuddy duddy because I would like to see very solid profits to justify an investment on that scale. Are we seeing the second dotcom bubble?
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
That's a lot of downloads. And, of course, then there's the cries of all the people whining that Instagram came out on Android. Those were some funny things to read.
Those comments! Hahaha! Man, some people need to get a life!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I have read two very serious analyses of the purchase.
The best reason given for the crazy price of the purchase is that Facebook is trying to stifle, by eating, any competition to its' "sharing mantra."
The real problem for Facebook is that all those apps on Android and Apple that share stuff will now be looking for Billions for themselves.

An interesting side to this is that the 30 Million folks that were FREE subscribers to Instagram seemed to have as a part of their intent the idea of some Privacy, of a more cloistered, smaller group than the whole known Universe which is what Facebook is all about. As one pundit said, Mark Z has said that Instagram can remain separate and not have everything splashed onto Facebook unless the subscribers want otherwise, but then Mark Z has been known to change his mind on occasion.

I don't belong to Facebook as myself. I do have some pseudos there so I can look around on occasion.

Instagram is a dot com bubble. Never made any money. Less than 2 years old. Subscription is free. On the plus side, the picture software is very smooth, better than Facebook's they say, but is essentially limited to gimmicks which kids love. [free, simple, cutesy, sort of an "in group", did I say free, perfect for kids]
The only other program Instagram has beat out is a program that charged for its services. Can you believe it? Charged!

Definitely Dot.Com Bubble.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I forgot to say.
My old Polaroid took very good pictures. I don't know why people are slighting Polaroid pics.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'm on mobileread. That's enough social for me
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 AM   #13
vbkun
Enthusiast
vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Maybe sony
i think the deal relates to instagram's potential.
Instagram was never bout putting effects on images, that was the gimmick. Instagram was about sharing. It allowed ios users to easilly take pics, change and post to their facebook/twitter (and also instagram), without hassle. That's not an easy task inside ios, so the app got popular taking advantage of a deficiency of ios.

As apple have a good trendy appeal, leaving the app exclusive and only allowing posts from ios they took their share of apple's Glam and became an important social 'thing'.

I guess this express how it grew, and why it is not a photo-fix app. For photo-fix and cool effects, android and ios have a lot better options. ^^
vbkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Oh, come on........

Look, don't you get it ?

They're young guys, they're a bit stressed, it's just retail therapy .....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post

Those were hilarious. There's nothing special about instagram. I used it a few times but I prefer my photos in original form.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote