Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
CA group boycotts Amazon over tax issue

They blame Amazon's refusual to collect taxes for part of the state's economic woes. Seems misguided.

http://www.baycitizen.org/budget-cri...oycott-amazon/
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I don't see it as misguided. The bottom line is that there is no practical way for states to collect the unpaid sales taxes except through the retail seller, and that's a lot of money not being collected. I have made it a point to not buy from Amazon for several years now for this and other reasons. If I were in California, I'd be supporting the boycott if Amazon refuses to collect the taxes. I know no one likes paying taxes, but the reality is that we want the state to provide certain services and they have to be paid for.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm only concerned about where I live, so I don't care what happens in other states. It's up to them.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't blame Amazon for acting in its own interests; it's a for-profit corporation. I do pay my state use taxes for shopping at Amazon, and I also support the state in its efforts to force Amazon to collect, but I don't blame Amazon for resisting.

Ultimately we're going to need a national solution for this I think, but in our current political situation we cannot even talk about taxes before people start frothing at the mouth, it seems.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I have no problem at all with compelling online retailers to pay state sales tax. They just have to make sure that all of those little city and county sales taxes, some of which are temporary, aren't included, because that's just a nightmare for any retailer to try to keep track of.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I have no problem at all with compelling online retailers to pay state sales tax. They just have to make sure that all of those little city and county sales taxes, some of which are temporary, aren't included, because that's just a nightmare for any retailer to try to keep track of.
I agree. State taxes only; no local taxes.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I agree that a national solution is needed.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
This, exactly.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
And that's almost exactly what Amazon said.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
And that's almost exactly what Amazon said.

Greg Weeks
I'm sure they're writing all the congressmen to ask for one post haste, too.

I should clarify: until a national solution is provided, Amazon should follow the laws as they are written. Having a physical presence in certain states and yet NOT collecting taxes on purchases in that state is not, I think, within the bounds of certain laws as they are currently written. IANAL.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Having a physical presence in certain states and yet NOT collecting taxes on purchases in that state is not, I think, within the bounds of certain laws as they are currently written. IANAL.
Yep, that's why they are pulling the affiliates in CA and are threatening to move a warehouse out of TX.

And let's keep in mind it really isn't only about revenues. Compared to the gaping hole in CA tax revenues during the recession (thanks, Prop 13), Amazon's sales taxes are a drop in a very large bucket. This spat is also about big box stores like Walmart pressuring state legislatures to collect sales taxes, in order to narrow a pricing advantage enjoyed by Amazon and a handful of other online-only stores.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
At the end of the day, the quote from the senior citizen is correct:

Quote:
Billions of dollars in state budget cuts have already eliminated adult day care and in home support services for the elderly and disabled, and have forced both the University of California and California State University systems to raise tuition.

More cuts would be required if the on-line sales tax is over-turned, she said: "If I'm buying from Amazon to avoid paying sales tax and I can’t go to the free kitchen for seniors anymore, what have I done but cut off my nose to spite my face?"
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Compared to the gaping hole in CA tax revenues during the recession (thanks, Prop 13),
Yes I DO thank Prop 13 !

Otherwise any time there was a budget shortfall the first thing they ( government ) would think of doing is raising my property tax to try and make up the difference. Instead of doing what they SHOULD be doing, that is, making a budget that takes into account the actual income they recieve and spend LESS then they have comeing in!

It mades me sssooo mad when they cannt even do what Im expected to do, that is, figure out my income and spend less then I bring in.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
It mades me sssooo mad when they cannt even do what Im expected to do, that is, figure out my income and spend less then I bring in.
It is worth pointing out, though, that you probably aren't supporting several thousand young children and elderly dependents. That does tend to make the household budget a little easier to manage.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
yet california wastes its time implementing the "fitted sheet" law. how much is that going to cost to enforce?

its time to let the system collapse and start over.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote