Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Suggestion: PDF or Notebook "thumbnail" veiw

I use my iLiad as a notebook, and sometimes I make notes on PDF files. One of the things I think doesn't work as well on the iLiad as on paper is that it takes longer to find a particular page on the iLiad, due to the slow page refresh rate. In a regular notebook or document, I can fan through the pages quickly, and recognize the page I want much faster than I could read it.

I think one way of providing a similar function on the iLiad would be a "thumbnails" view of a PDF or Notes collection. We recognize pages quickly based in part on the general shape of the text on the page. It would be easy to spot PDF pages with a bit of scribbling on one side, and in many cases, we could also spot chapter heads, pages with lots of dialog, etc., that might make it easier to find the part of a document one wants quickly. This should be even more effective with handwritten notes, especially when they include diagrams.

So... is this something that could be added by the developer community?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Are you looking for something similar to the way evince does page thumbnails (see attached)?

I'd imagine this would be possible to do for ipdf, but I'm not sure. I've looked at porting evince before, but I didn't have much luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	527
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	4211  
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Yes, something like this would be good. Even if it took up the whole screen it would be ok with me, but there's an advantage to being able to click around to find the page you want, so the split screen would probably work well. But I think it would be important to also show the scribble content, as that's sometimes what differentiates pages.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
After a bit more work, I've got the gtk version of evince working on the iLiad. Thumbnails and all.

The problem is that if you use evince to read PDF's, then you won't be able to scribble.

I'll continue workink on it, and keep everyone updated on my progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evince1.png
Views:	518
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	4220  
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote