Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
How often do you defrag your camera's flash storage or your mp3 player? I won't argue your perceived performance increase, I'll just stress the fact that there's no quantifiable logic behind a defrag being the reason for it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #17
Deja Moo
Enthusiast
Deja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PaperWhite
I can't speak to the speed problem, but one thing that messes up the sort order is if the kindle loses track of the date. You'll need to get someplace where you can get connected to correct that.
Deja Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 02:37 AM   #18
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
How often do you defrag your camera's flash storage or your mp3 player? I won't argue your perceived performance increase, I'll just stress the fact that there's no quantifiable logic behind a defrag being the reason for it.
^ This.

This type of topic is very very old and is discussed in other device forums like cameras and mp3/PMP devices.

The conventional wisdom in this case is absolutely correct, both IMO/IME.

Every device you buy has a calculated MTBF. In the cases of flash memory, AFAIK this is generally calculated using the number of read/write cycles over the lifetime of the device. Why potentially accelerate the MTBF by doing stuff like defragging which logically, for this type of medium/technology, will likely result in no objective performance gain at all?

just my 2cents...
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:55 AM   #19
SpookyMunky
SpookyMunky knows what's going on.SpookyMunky knows what's going on.SpookyMunky knows what's going on.SpookyMunky knows what's going on.SpookyMunky knows what's going on.SpookyMunky knows what's going on.SpookyMunky knows what's going on.SpookyMunky knows what's going on.SpookyMunky knows what's going on.SpookyMunky knows what's going on.SpookyMunky knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
It is funny reading through this thread.. people forget a time before ntfs hell, I forgot aswell.. lets see what I can remember from so many years ago heh.. fat 32 will leave about 20k / 200k gap between each file, then fill in between as it goes, whereas the gap ntfs leaves depends on how much space is left.. vaguely.. there are so many arguments this could continue from this but heh, put it this way, fat32 was introduced for win95.. whereas ntfs was introduced for win nt, one was right, one was wrong.. why we dont have a new file system now is beyond me.. we were supposed to for vista , which we kinda got.. fat 64, designed for devices that use flash memory but heh.. need win vista / 7 to access it, , which brings us back to ntfs.. you cant access it on apple shite :P so what are we left with.. fat 32 not *the* worst file format systems ever made, its ancient and crap tho...

A mre constructive post would be say a script to run defrag using nix

Last edited by SpookyMunky; 08-14-2011 at 02:59 AM.
SpookyMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #20
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I defragged my Kindle 3 this morning and the resulting performance improvement is astonishing. As fast as new, now. I've had this Kindle since November, have added and removed thousands of books. It was running very slow. Now it is like new.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #21
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Interesting!!!
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I defragged my Kindle 3 this morning and the resulting performance improvement is astonishing. As fast as new, now. I've had this Kindle since November, have added and removed thousands of books. It was running very slow. Now it is like new.
It would be better to copy the files from the kindle to somewhere else, delete the files from the kindle, then copy the file back to the kindle.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #23
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I was having some severe performance problems with my Kindle 3G, so, knowing that you aren't supposed to defrag flash drives, I hooked it up to my laptop via usb, dragged the documents folder to my pc, and deleted it off the kindle. Then deleted the index files folder too. Removed some books from the PC copy of the documents folder, ones that I'd finished with or lost interest in.

I have no music or audiobooks on the kindle, so no need to remove those.

Put the documents folder back, ejected the Kindle from the PC, plugged the Kindle into wall power, and waited for it to re-index.
It no longer crashes and has become much faster - same result people are reporting for defragging. So if you don't want to risk defragging, this works. Or it did for me.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #24
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
De-fragmenting it's not recommending on solid state devices or ereaders like Kindle 3. The benefit is little or none, decreasing the overall device's life if this becomes a frequent task or activity.

Also, besides the file system, we do need to take the physical factor into consideration as well. It is true that Kindle uses FAT as file system, but it is not a regular hard drive with heads and cylinders, etc.

Regarding why is FAT, is because compatibility reasons. FAT is currently the only file system that can be mounted and be read by Mac, Linux and Windows. At least, I am not aware of any other one that works for those three major Os.

ext3 or ext4, even Mac's filesystem are better than NTFS. Windows filesystem is horrible! Linux users don't need to de-fragment because it is a very efficient system. I do have a two years old laptop which disk runs as fast as it was running when I installed Ubuntu Linux on it. I cannot say the same for my work's laptop, which runs Window$ Vista and it is already slow and heavily fragmented with a bit more than a year using it.

Go Linux!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #25
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried to put Linux on a laptop but didn't work--hard drive had to be replaced and hubby loaded windows on it. I now have another laptop that needs a new hard drive--maybe I should try Linux again.

misling--that is excellent to hear. I won't defrag again, should I experience another slow down, I'll use your method instead.

Speaking of SSD drives, my Dell netbook has one of those (stupid 8GB) SSD drives, so you are saying it never needs to be defragged, and could be harmful to do so?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #26
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried to put Linux on a laptop but didn't work--hard drive had to be replaced and hubby loaded windows on it. I now have another laptop that needs a new hard drive--maybe I should try Linux again.

misling--that is excellent to hear. I won't defrag again, should I experience another slow down, I'll use your method instead.

Speaking of SSD drives, my Dell netbook has one of those (stupid 8GB) SSD drives, so you are saying it never needs to be defragged, and could be harmful to do so?
PM ... ...

I will give you nice links of instructions of how to install or run Ubuntu. By the way, you can even try Ubuntu on CD without installing. It will run slower, but will give you an idea of how it runs and looks like.

My wife does not miss Windows at all! She is totally happy browsing Internet and even creating Word and Excel documents.

I was using Linux before her, but she's a "Linux converted wife" now , lol ...
Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #27
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
I defragged my Kindle 3 a week ago. Now my Kindle sings me to sleep and makes me breakfast when I wake up.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I believe I have a CD here that I burned the linux installation to...I'll have to check it.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #29
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
There is more info outhere, but feel free to take a look yourself: http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/03/sho...ragment-a-ssd/
Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I defragged my Kindle 3 a week ago. Now my Kindle sings me to sleep and makes me breakfast when I wake up.
Your Kindle's a slacker. My breakfast is on the table before I wake up.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote